• ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Open carry AR Lafayette
    Guy walking northbound on 52 during rush hour AR slung across his chest. Should have seen the panicked drivers divinf into the other lane lol.

edeekeos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    He's walking from mulberry to lafayette. That's a FIFTEEN MILE one way trip, through the country, and he claimed "in the middle of the night." You can bet your ass I'd have a gun too. I fail to see what the big deal is, people like this NEED to be encouraged. As far as his 'other issues", that's another story.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    What wasn't he helping? How do you know what his goals were, or if he even had any besides transporting his rifle without a vehicle?

First, before anything else, I advocate for gun rights and for the right to OC. I OC'd today as a matter of fact. But this is different.

I don't know what his goals were. But, either way, his approach to his goals was still not the best. The OP said he saw people switch lanes in a panic. Are you saying that if his noble goals caused a wreck, that they should be excused? What if in that wreck someone was killed? You may think I'm trying to build a straw-man argument, but I'm being serious. If the OP is serious that he was causing panic in drivers, is that not unsafe in the least, if not against the law? You and I are used to guns. We look at them as tools, with each having their use. The general public may not see it the same way as us. If you're going somewhere, with a "scary black rifle", walking along in public in the open may not be the best approach. I am not saying that it's not his right, nor that the right should be taken from him, but that his execution of his plan wasn't the best.

What's that line I hear so much... Oh yes, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should", or as is quoted often here, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." My approach to my love of guns and the second amendment is to educate others, advocate, but not be forceful or in your face. Those dolts in Texas carrying long guns into Chipotle aren't helping our cause. To me, they're the Westboro Baptist Church of the gun rights movement. They want to be seen, they want attention, they want to make more of themselves than they are. They are in it for the thrill of making a statement to the "sheeple" (how I loathe that word) as much or more so than the cause itself. We can agree to disagree on this, but my stance will not change. Folks carrying long guns, especially the "scary black" ones, in public to make a statement are not helping.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    How do you know what his goals were, or if he even had any besides transporting his rifle without a vehicle?
    That's exactly the point. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Walk around with a handgun in your hand instead of holstered (or in this case, in a scabbard or slung over the back) and this is the reaction that's going to occur, 100% of the time. :ugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I don't know what his goals were. But, either way, his approach to his goals was still not the best.

How can you judge his approach when you admit not knowing his goals? You can't.

The OP said he saw people switch lanes in a panic. Are you saying that if his noble goals caused a wreck, that they should be excused? What if in that wreck someone was killed? You may think I'm trying to build a straw-man argument, but I'm being serious. If the OP is serious that he was causing panic in drivers, is that not unsafe in the least, if not against the law?

Drivers must be responsible for driving safely. If a driver panics and causes a wreck simply because they saw a person walking beside the road transporting a slung rifle, that driver is to blame. The armed walker did not cause anyone to panic, that was an irrational response by the driver. Nothing unsafe or illegal in carrying a slung rifle.

You and I are used to guns. We look at them as tools, with each having their use. The general public may not see it the same way as us. If you're going somewhere, with a "scary black rifle", walking along in public in the open may not be the best approach. I am not saying that it's not his right, nor that the right should be taken from him, but that his execution of his plan wasn't the best.

There you go judging his plan and approach again (which you admitted you do not know). Who cares if segments of the public don't approve? If they can't function or worse, become unsafe when confronted with lawful activities they don't approve of, they shouldn't be allowed out in public, certainly not behind the wheel of a car.

What's that line I hear so much... Oh yes, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should",

It's a rather weak line typically used by people who lack the skill to rationally support their disdain for something which isn't illegal.

as is quoted often here, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

I think you're calling the transport of a rifle a stupid game, I'm just not sure what the stupid prize would be in this case. What sort of consequence do you think he should face for his "stupid game"?

My approach to my love of guns and the second amendment is to educate others, advocate, but not be forceful or in your face. Those dolts in Texas carrying long guns into Chipotle aren't helping our cause.

Who's cause? You're already allowed to OC a handgun (at least with a purchased permission slip), they are prohibited. Why don't you go help them with their cause or at least try to understand it?

To me, they're the Westboro Baptist Church of the gun rights movement. They want to be seen, they want attention, they want to make more of themselves than they are. They are in it for the thrill of making a statement to the "sheeple" (how I loathe that word) as much or more so than the cause itself.

Oh, so you truly don't understand but are comfortable nonetheless ascribing your own assumptions upon others. Nice.

We can agree to disagree on this, but my stance will not change.

Huh. My stance is generally open to change if you can convince or persuade me with reasoning. If you're not open to the same, I'm sorry I wasted this much typing on you.

Folks carrying long guns, especially the "scary black" ones, in public to make a statement are not helping.

Right back to where I started: What aren't they helping? You never answered that.

The guy might just not have a car to transport his rifle. I'm sure you considered that among your assumptions.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That's exactly the point. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Walk around with a handgun in your hand instead of holstered (or in this case, in a scabbard or slung over the back) and this is the reaction that's going to occur, 100% of the time. :ugh:

What are you even talking about? What point?

The rifle was slung, who claimed he had it in his hands? Are you saying that carrying a slung rifle will cause people to drive poorly 100% of the time?

Silly reaction if you ask me. Silly post as well.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    ATM said:
    It's a rather weak line typically used by people who lack the skill to rationally support their disdain for something which isn't illegal.

First off, nice ad hominem (bolded above). That's a sure fire way to sway someone to your side of an argument. Anyway, I'll put it in simpler terms, I guess. Openly carrying a long gun, specifically a "scary black" one, in public, in today's climate is a dumb idea. Do I look forward to the day when maybe it can be accepted by all? Sure thing. I hope I can see the day when I can drive from one end of the country to the other with a pistol taped to my forehead and no one gives a second thought. I don't presume to know why the person did it, and in front of God and everyone assembled, I'll admit that I pre-judged the gentleman based on what I've seen from some of the crazier OCT folks. Yes, I was wrong in that point. However, that does not preclude me from calling out the other yahoos that do this.

I think you're calling the transport of a rifle a stupid game, I'm just not sure what the stupid prize would be in this case. What sort of consequence do you think he should face for his "stupid game"?

I never said he should be charged with anything, did I? I simply stated that what he did wasn't smart. Those are two wildly different outcomes.

Who's cause? You're already allowed to OC a handgun (at least with a purchased permission slip), they are prohibited. Why don't you go help them with their cause or at least try to understand it?

I look at the protection of our 2nd amendment rights as a group cause, in all of it's facets. The fight for the right to have a concealed weapon in Illinois, the right to carry openly in Texas, the right to defend ourselves and our homes, that is a fight that we all share as Americans. It's not simply a state by state issue. I do understand the fight that the Texans are going through, and I would help them with their cause if I had the chance. That doesn't mean I can't call them out on it if I think their methods of fighting for their rights are either a) dumb in general or b) damaging to the cause as a whole. MLK and Malcolm X both understood the plight of folks in the Civil Rights movement. Both went about seeking change in very different ways. You don't think that either called the other out on their efficacy of their methods? Should I stand by and not point out that they are simply feeding ammo to the anti's to use against the rest of us? Why let one group sabotage what we've already been able to accomplish?

Oh, so you truly don't understand but are comfortable nonetheless ascribing your own assumptions upon others. Nice.

What is there for me not to understand? The Open Carry Texas folks have a noble goal. Their methods are dumb. I think I have a perfect understanding of what's going on there. Furthermore, great job ascribing your assumptions upon my understanding of the situation. When looking at things from different angles, it can be possible to see two different views of the same thing.

Right back to where I started: What aren't they helping? You never answered that.

I'll try one more time with a theme that I thought I had repeated several times. The Open Carry Texas folks, that are carrying "scary black rifles" into public spaces as a method to draw awareness to not being allowed to legally open carry handguns in Texas are not helping the overall fight for our 2nd Amendment rights by feeding ammo to the anti-gun groups to use against the whole of us, painting us as nutters 1 step away from the next mass shooting. I don't think that's the true end for the gentleman in question, or even for the OCT folks. But that is the public's perception. I don't think I can make that any clearer for you. We are fighting a fight of the public's perception of guns and gun owners. We can rally all we want, but if we don't change the general perception, we're still doomed. That's the sad part sometimes about dealing with the American public - facts don't matter at all, only people's perception of them.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    From the article posted earlier:

He told News 18 that he’s walking in protest after losing his driver’s license in April after he refused to pay a fine for several infractions including failing to signal and possession of multiple licenses.

So he gets caught doing something illegal, refuses to pay the fine, and gets his license pulled. Supposedly is a habitual traffic offender as well. Now he's walking in protest with a rifle? I'm sorry, but that fails to compute for me.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    It is that person right to do so but is it the smartest thing to do? I don't understand the mentality of people that show this form of belligerent attitude. It is like yelling Fire in a movie theater I have the right of free speech and this is true but your right can not tread on the rights of others. My weapons are for my personal use and protection I don't have to run around and show the world that I am Billie bad ass. When we do things like this we are just drawing attention to our selves we at times are our worse enemy. If we keep it up we will lose our right to open carry if we choose. JMO

Sonney

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    From the article posted earlier:

So he gets caught doing something illegal, refuses to pay the fine, and gets his license pulled. Supposedly is a habitual traffic offender as well. Now he's walking in protest with a rifle? I'm sorry, but that fails to compute for me.

My brother works with LEOs and said this guy is part of the 'Sovereign Citizen' movement and he has 'multiple intereactions' with police. I am not defending or condoning his actions. I am still processing how are feel about this. IF it was slung across his back, I would have NO problems with his actions in any way. But hanging from his chest in a single point sling did cause me to pause. I hope and pray for the day that OCing of all types of firearms will be commonplace and not cause a 'panic'. But we are far from there. The secretary at my job grew up on a farm, had hunting type rifles and shotguns, and was taken aback by seeing this 'assault rifle' (her words not mine) being carried by this man walking down the shoulder of a state highway @ 5:00 in the evening. I think it only hurts our cause.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    IF it was slung across his back, I would have NO problems with his actions in any way. But hanging from his chest in a single point sling did cause me to pause. I hope and pray for the day that OCing of all types of firearms will be commonplace and not cause a 'panic'. But we are far from there. The secretary at my job grew up on a farm, had hunting type rifles and shotguns, and was taken aback by seeing this 'assault rifle' (her words not mine) being carried by this man walking down the shoulder of a state highway @ 5:00 in the evening.

Can't say I agree with his methods, either... Still, this guy would be less likely to defend himself if it were slung across his back, especially since he was also carrying a backpack. Plus, it was a two point sling, to the stock and the front of the hand-guard / directly behind the front sight. True, we may notice that it's a 22lr, but how could you tell quickly while driving past him? Not sure I could recognize it if passing at 45 - 55 mph, but I've also not found myself in that position. Just my :twocents:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Attention whore. This is not about liberty for him. He is trying to **** people off and/or upset them. It may be legal but it's stupid none the less. A very small victory for him. A strategic loss for gun owners.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I read the article. I also read his responses. He comes across to me as the neighbor who has memorized the HOA's CC&Rs and has measured out his own property with a tape measure, meeting any new fences or incursions into his curtilage with strongly worded letters demanding those violations be strongly addressed... the one the kids are afraid to go ask for the return of their ball.

I get that he's on the defensive because he feels wronged by the law in re: his license being "taken away" (suspended or actually revoked?) but I also get that the proximate cause of that event was his own misdeeds; No one forced him to run stop signs or fail to signal. While the allegation of him being a "sovereign citizen" may or may not be true, and if so, might mean he doesn't respect the authority by which those traffic laws are emplaced, there needs to be a set of "rules of the road" on which people agree so that we don't, for example, have two drivers headed opposite directions in the same lane, and/or have no one know who should stop at a given intersection. We agree as a matter of course that a red light at an intersection does not mean that the girl standing under it is available, but that we as drivers should stop anyway.
    In light of the above, if he violated those traffic laws and failed to pay the fine, that's on him. Try to change the law from within it, not from without.

As to him carrying the rifle... yeah. It's legal, no question. He did not directly harm anyone, true. I'm reminded of this guy, though:

hitchhiker.jpg

The axe or the rifle doesn't matter. It's the location that makes it "out of place", kinda like that old Sesame Street bit about "one of these things is not like the others". It's legal, and it's not directly harmful, but it still gives the "reasonable prudent person" cause to raise an eyebrow and either evaluate further or just simply unass the place. I also would wonder if he carried that same rifle around prior to losing his license.

Most of us have heard about the old sheriff (I always picture Sam Elliott with a quirky smile) who was to receive an award, and afterward, was met by the town busybody, who snidely and derisively commented on his barbecue gun in its tooled holster, "Well, Sheriff, I see you brought your six-shooter. Are you expecting trouble at the banquet?" to which he replied with a tip of his hat, "No Ma'am. If I was expecting trouble, I'd have brought my rifle." Given that, I wonder what trouble was this man expecting?

Given that this is a board full of gun owners, and even WE are discussing it almost a full day later, my preceding sentence applies: We are evaluating further. Would I stop and give him a ride? It would depend on many things, but based solely on the photo on the WLFI site, I'd have to say no. That's not unusual... I don't often just pick up random people.
    shrug2.gif

I don't question his right. I simply don't agree with the wisdom of his choices. I can't imagine that he doesn't know anyone who could give him a safe ride to and from town to get his meds.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom