• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have waited a while to share this, to see if anything would come out of it in the end, but nothing has yet so I guess it is time to share:D

A few months ago, I was working on my boat trailer one evening (wasn't dark yet). I was lying underneath the boat and trailer, when I heard footsteps on the gravel in the driveway next to me. For reference, the driveway is about 50 yards long to get around to the back of the house, where I was. You can see this area from the road, because there are no trees. I am startled, so I start crawling out from underneath the back of the trailer to find someone standing there looking at various items. As I am crawling out, he realizes there is someone down there with him and looks my direction. As I stand up I ask him if there is anything I can help him with. He doesn't reply right away, and I start to come around the boat and face him. His eyes immediately shift to my waist where my firearm is clearly visible, and then looks at me startled and he says, "Oh". He asks if a certain item is for sale, and I then ask him if he sees a for sale sign on it. He says no. I do not reply, and he starts to back up rather quickly and says, "Ok", and walks briskly back up the driveway where, unknown to me at the time, there were 3 individuals waiting for him, 2 outside the vehicle and one in the driver's seat. He says something to them (I am too far away to hear them), and those 2 individuals get in the vehicle quickly before he gets there. He is almost jogging at this point (with his pants falling down, rather funny) and gets in the car (which had been turned around and was facing the road before I ever saw this individual) and they leave.

Now, I was rather stunned by the encounter. I was seriously asking myself, once they left, if that had really happened how I thought it went down. The guy's behavior was odd and just gave me a bad feeling during the whole situation. I hadn't posted this before simply because I wanted to see if they ever came back, or if I had a break-in or any items missing. It is not common for someone I do not know to walk down the driveway, especially when they don't know I am down there (I had been under the boat for at least 30 minutes, and there is no way anyone could have seen me from the road). All I know is that I am glad I was OCing my firearm at the time, which before this incident, I would usually take off when working on stuff. My opinion prior to this incident was I still had my pepper spray in my pocket, and what are honestly the chances of something happening? I don't think like that anymore.

Now I realize that I could be mistaken in my beliefs about what was actually going on. However, my gut feeling at the time was not good (which is probably why I had my hand on the spray when I got up). At least nothing bad came out of it. Flame away:popcorn:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    There's pros and cons to each method of carry. I tend to use both depending on the various situations. I'm glad this situation didn't go pear-shaped for you! At least you can probably be confident in the fact that they won't be back and word has spread to leave your property alone!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Now I realize that I could be mistaken in my beliefs about what was actually going on. However, my gut feeling at the time was not good ...

All carry deters crime in the U.S. cultural context. Based on your description, I'd say trust your gut on this one.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    If you don't have one you might want to consider getting a security system, or at least something to give you a heads up when someone is coming up your drive way. If they were casing the place they now know you have firearms, or at least a firearm. That may be a deterrent, or could be a reason for them to come back at a much later date in hopes of finding something when you are not there. Depends on what they might be after I guess.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Adding this to a list of stories / reports I have of the crime deterence factor of OC. (it is a short but growing list right now).

Trust your gut. sounds about right. Be vigilant. Be Safe.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If you don't have one you might want to consider getting a security system, or at least something to give you a heads up when someone is coming up your drive way. If they were casing the place they now know you have firearms, or at least a firearm. That may be a deterrent, or could be a reason for them to come back at a much later date in hopes of finding something when you are not there. Depends on what they might be after I guess.

Unfortunately, a security system is not in the budget at this time, but is something that will be implemented in the future. We have flood lights and dogs for now.

brotherbill3 said:
    Adding this to a list of stories / reports I have of the crime deterence factor of OC. (it is a short but growing list right now).

Trust your gut. sounds about right. Be vigilant. Be Safe.

Only those individuals know if this was a true case of deterrence. I believe it was.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I had a similar situation to this last summer. We are in the middle of a home renovation. I was around the corner of the house when a car pulled in the drive. A younger man walks on to the property looking around for whatever he can find. I see him the whole time and step around the corner, he left very quickly after stammering a bit. I always CC, just happened to toss my cover shirt to the side and was just in a normal T-shirt. He hasn't been spotted in the neighborhood for quite some time.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Unfortunately, a security system is not in the budget at this time, but is something that will be implemented in the future. We have flood lights and dogs for now.

Only those individuals know if this was a true case of deterrence. I believe it was.

+1 for dogs.

and the one story I have seen / saved (somewhere 2 computers ago or so in a word doc file) was a crew caught outside of a restuarant ...
    armed thugs (w/ records ... of course) waiting for the guys inside OC'ing to leave to hit the joint ... I guess they fessed up under the hot lamps.
    :dunno:

so yeah ... I forget where when (who know it may be in the OC/CC discussion thread buried somewhere around here.).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You should never OC you'll be the first the shot!

I have had folks look at me oddly when I come out from under my truck and they see my 1911.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There's a distinct feeling somebody gets when they know they're doing something wrong and realize that someone has seen them and can do something about it. I witnessed three guys experiencing this when I was cooking breakfast and they tried to break into my house :@ya:

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Did you call the police to report them? Trespassing did occur. Police need information so they can be more aware and on the lookout. They may have gone to the next house down the road and done the same thing. More police reports will show if there is a trend with this group of potential trouble makers.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Always carry, anywhere you can, even sitting in the Lazy Boy watching the tube. You were being scoped out.

Anytime you're outside, your dog should be too. Great warning systems. Oh, and if you don't have a dog... get one. They are also man's best friend.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Did you call the police to report them? Trespassing did occur. Police need information so they can be more aware and on the lookout. They may have gone to the next house down the road and done the same thing. More police reports will show if there is a trend with this group of potential trouble makers.

They weren't trespassing. I've never seen them before and I didn't tell them to leave. So I would be reporting no crime.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They weren't trespassing. I've never seen them before and I didn't tell them to leave. So I would be reporting no crime.
    Being on private property without permission IS trespassing. Might not meet the legal requirements to obtain a conviction, but it is still trespassing.

Top Bottom