• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I was at Meijer this evening and saw an old man open carrying. He had a firearm on his left and right hip, but...they were both cross draw.

Anybody ever carry like that? It seems impractical to me. Just wondering if anybody else carries cross draw on their belt/hip. I can more easily understand holstering opposite hand, if carrying in the small of your back, but not the side. Just wondering what others think.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, you mean Milla?:D

Yes, cut down shotguns.

milla-jovovich-1.jpg

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I believe John W. Hardin carried double crossdraw. It is the only comfortable way to carry a gun with barrel length of more than 4 inches. And it is the only real way of carrying where you can reach it with either hand. Try to reach your gun if carried strongside with your off hand. Now try it crossdraw.
    I have been carrying crossdraw for over 40 years. I make it a point to obtain at least one crossdraw holster for any handgun that I think I might want to carry at any time. This only applies to those with barrels longer than 4 inches, but I also have crossdraw holsters for some of my shorter guns.
    Put a 6 inch revolver on your strongside and try to sit with it, either in a chair or car seat. I carried crossdraw as a deputy in the 70's. Mudh more comfortable and safer ref. either hand getting to it. Example: what if you are shot in the arm. You can still use your other if you can get to your firearm.
    There are quite a few holsters available that are built so you can use it crossdraw, and also strongside.
    One other situation where crossdraw is best is when carrying a handgun and a long gun at the same time. Your handgun is in front and not banging/scratching up your long gun. Very useful when hunting.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I carried in a shoulder holster for years, and have only recently started carrying strongside.
    I can't say that I like strongside, just feels unnatural to me. I wish they made a better variety of holsters for compact carry guns in a crossdraw configuration. I've tried just turning my holster around but the kant is wrong.

Hunter makes crossdraws for large guns, but not for snubbies or small pistols.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I carried in a shoulder holster for years, and have only recently started carrying strongside.
    I can't say that I like strongside, just feels unnatural to me. I wish they made a better variety of holsters for compact carry guns in a crossdraw configuration. I've tried just turning my holster around but the kant is wrong.

Hunter makes crossdraws for large guns, but not for snubbies or small pistols.

These guys make a few.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I carry a brace of "N" frame Smiths, one straight draw on the right side, the other crossdraw on the left.

The crossdraw is so I can 1) draw the left side gun with either hand and 2) so I can draw easily while seated in a car.

Top Bottom