• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    sorry if im resurrecting a dead thread, but I just came across this video on YouTube and was wondering if anybody saw this?

anybody have any similar encounters where they were stripped of their firearm by an LEO? I don't like seeing videos where police officers disarm people, ANYBODY handling my weapon would make me VERY uncomfortable...

[video=youtube;izrciP-UfCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izrciP-UfCM[/video]

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I have a concern that I noticed and I havent seen anyone mention it. The officer just said he was going to relieve him of his weapon AS he reached in and grabbed it from the guy. I've extensively trained in weapon retention. It would be incredibly difficult for me to resist the automatic urge to turn away and cover my weapon. I cringed a bit when I saw that part in the video. I feared that if it were me in this particular scenario, the officer would have taken it as resistance, the end result not so good for yours truly. I think the officer asking and giving at least a full second to process the request would also "disarm" my retention reflex. Police officers please chime in here. I would appreciate your input on this as you also know fighting to keep your weapon equals fighting for your life. Training to react a certain way and building up that muscle memory over many years is not an easy habit to break.

Last edited:

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Perhaps I should go about this a different way. The original video post turned into an open carry event which I have no issue with. Just wanted to take the discussion in a different direction.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Perhaps I should go about this a different way. The original video post turned into an open carry event which I have no issue with. Just wanted to take the discussion in a different direction.

ok

I have a concern that I noticed and I havent seen anyone mention it. The officer just said he was going to relieve him of his weapon AS he reached in and grabbed it from the guy. I've extensively trained in weapon retention. It would be incredibly difficult for me to resist the automatic urge to turn away and cover my weapon. I cringed a bit when I saw that part in the video. I feared that if it were me in this particular scenario, the officer would have taken it as resistance, the end result not so good for yours truly. I think the officer asking and giving at least a full second to process the request would also "disarm" my retention reflex. Police officers please chime in here. I would appreciate your input on this as you also know fighting to keep your weapon equals fighting for your life. Training to react a certain way and building up that muscle memory over many years is not an easy habit to break.

The officer did not leap out from a hidden place and attempt to snatch your weapon.
    If the law enforcement officer is acting incorrectly, make a statement, but fight it later, in court or at the station.
    Cause I don't see a win if you fight it there.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    No no no.. don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT talking about getting into a brawl with the officer over it, especially not for the purpose of making a statement. That would be just plain dumb. I agree, the courts are the time and place for airing out your problems. I'm talking about the instinctive automatic reaction one might have when someone touches your weapon. Police or not, if you've trained on weapon retention (or anything for that matter) until it became second nature, your brain can and often does skip the thinking part and goes straight to action. I'm not saying anyone did right or wrong in the video... not even going there.

The officer pretty much went from talking and standing to, "I'm gonna go ahead and (grabs weapon)" It wasn't enough time to disarm the reflex of a properly trained individual. Having trained on this very scenario hundreds, perhaps thousands of times (with bad guy instead of police of course), the instinctive reaction would be to place my hands on top of his (preventing my weapon from leaving the holster), and to turn my gun side away. That's where my concern is. Instinct isn't something that can be simply turned off. Let's say I covered the officers hands on my holster, then caught myself and stopped. How would he take it? Would I receive an immediate ass kicking? Get shot? or perhaps would the officer recognize what I'm doing by placing my hands over his? Who knows. Now, that being said, had the officer asked and told me what he was about to do AND gave me at least a full second for my brain to process, It would be very easy to shut down that reflex. This is expressly why I choose not to open carry.

On the other end of the spectrum, I can completely understand why an officer would NOT give anyone time to process. It's a paradox, no doubt about it.

Top Bottom