• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Going to Ohio this weekend for some fun with the family... camping, Kings Island, etc... (I have a Utah license)
    According to my "Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" - 2014 edition book, it says 2 things about open carry for Ohio...

Under Travelers Check list is says: * Open Carry: unrestricted under state law

However, lower in the paragraph it says: All Persons: Ohio's licensing law only allows the concealed carry of handguns.

:dunno:

I guess I will have to assume that the open carry being unrestricted line probably applies to long guns, although it doesn't say either way
    Probably better safe than sorry and just CC

Thoughts?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In Ohio, only concealed carry is prohibited - open carry of long guns and handguns is fine.

If you have a recognized license/permit to carry, you are excepted from the prohibition and may choose to carry concealed.

Notes:

Indiana LTCH is not recognized in Ohio, so unless you have some other recognized license/permit you need to carry unconcealed.

Vehicle carry is considered concealed in Ohio. Without a recognized license/permit to conceal, one must disarm, unload and store out of reach during transport (then reload and rearm at your next destination to carry openly again.) They really kinda make you coonfinger the gun at every opportunity to transport according to their ridiculous law.

Not sure of Kings Island's firearm policy, but prohibitive signage has more weight of law in Ohio than Indiana.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    In Ohio, only concealed carry is prohibited - open carry of long guns and handguns is fine.

If you have a recognized license/permit to carry, you are excepted from the prohibition and may choose to carry concealed.

Notes:

Indiana LTCH is not recognized in Ohio, so unless you have some other recognized license/permit you need to carry unconcealed.

Vehicle carry is considered concealed in Ohio. Without a recognized license/permit to conceal, one must disarm, unload and store out of reach during transport (then reload and rearm at your next destination to carry openly again.) They really kinda make you coonfinger the gun at every opportunity to transport according to their ridiculous law.

Not sure of Kings Island's firearm policy, but prohibitive signage has more weight of law in Ohio than Indiana.

I've got some friends who live over there who report that while OC is legal many of those who try are harassed quite a bit by the local constabulary. I mentioned the idea of it and was told that in some cases they try to get the OCer on "disturbing the peace" I have no idea now true those statements are or how widespread they are so take them with a grain of salt.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I've got some friends who live over there who report that while OC is legal many of those who try are harassed quite a bit by the local constabulary. I mentioned the idea of it and was told that in some cases they try to get the OCer on "disturbing the peace" I have no idea now true those statements are or how widespread they are so take them with a grain of salt.
    I have also heard these same rumors from a cousin who lived in Ohio for 20+ years, bUT remeber, this us second hand info to me and third hand gossip to you.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The people who actually open carry in Ohio don't report many more instances of harassment these days than we get in Indiana.

Check the Ohio subforum on OCDO for more local perspectives: Ohio

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I live in ohio, no open carry with out of Ohio state id. Will get stopped and checked by police. LTCH is not recognized by ohio. Ohio does not play around with open carry. Must inform officer if stopped! If not you will not pass go or get $200.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I live in ohio, no open carry with out of Ohio state id. Will get stopped and checked by police. LTCH is not recognized by ohio. Ohio does not play around with open carry. Must inform officer if stopped! If not you will not pass go or get $200.

Regarding your claim above in bold: who told you that? Please cite a code to support your claim.

Open carry is not prohibited in Ohio, it's not just a privilege for residents.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sec 9.68 for Ohio law is for Ohio residents. But you can call Ohio State PD to confirm. I could be wrong but I am not a lawyer. When I moved to Ohio, I asked about this to more then one officer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Indiana'sLTCH may not be recognized by Ohio, but Utah's is. I'm sure there are others.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ORS 9.68? The preemption statute? I am confused.

What does preemption have to do with ATM's inquiry???

[h=2]9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.[/h](A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.(C) As used in this section:(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person's person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.(2) "Firearm" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.Effective Date: 03-14-2007

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sec 9.68 for Ohio law is for Ohio residents.

No, Ohio law is for Ohio, not just residents. As Kirk noted, this is a general preemption code and I don't see anything prohibiting open carry for non-residents (or anyone else).

But you can call Ohio State PD to confirm. I could be wrong but I am not a lawyer. When I moved to Ohio, I asked about this to more then one officer.

I do not ask police their opinions about legal matters, I ask for cites to the code and/or case law.

Don't believe what you were told without supporting proof - open carry is not prohibited in Ohio.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But you can call Ohio State PD to confirm. I could be wrong but I am not a lawyer. When I moved to Ohio, I asked about this to more then one officer.

This is a variant of the Heckler's Veto, Heckler's veto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The police (or any other regulatory agency) do not want the law to be a certain way and thus they spread misinformation in order to modify behavior to what they desire.

Sometimes it is done in reverse. I have caught ATFE telling the media that no license is required to open carry in Indiana. It is obvious what they are up to.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Is Ohio a one-party consent state for recording? I have to travel there sometimes and would like to record my encounters. I understand the idea that you should be able to record public servants, but if one tries to 'wire-tap' crap I would like to know the specific law. I suppose I should look to get my Utah. I'll still open carry, but I won't have to dick with unloading it in the car.

Top Bottom