• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    As a new member I was persuing the board and see a number of you openly talk about how you open carry and try to get others to join you. I do not want to ruffle anyone but why do the members who open carry do so and also why do they seem to encourage others to do it?

This is simply my thoughts on it from my point of view, I want to hear from some of you that do O/C why you choose to do so?

I personally do not want to be the first guy the robber shoots when he burts into someplace Im at simply because he sees my gun.
    I rather pick a time where I can gain cover and an element of suprise to decide if I want to present it to him.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I personally do not want to be the first guy the robber shoots when he burts into someplace Im at simply because he sees my gun.

I'm not an OC'er, but I'm not against it (to each his own)...but I've certainly never heard of something like you've described happening.
    Got a link to a news article?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    No link, its just my common sense knowing that if a b.g. comes in and you have a gun he is going to try to do something to end the threat coming from you, where if said b.g. doesnt see it then he wont likely think of you as much of a threat.

Not to mention the wonderful 911 calls coming from citizens of a man with a gun which will result in you getting put on the ground with a gun in your ear. I just dont see any benefit to it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    here we go again....... but since your a new member:

Criminals are cowards and looking for an easy score. they most always case a place before they rob it. whether its a trip inside first to see if any cops are in there or they will sit outside and do it.

if a robber walked into a gas station and saw a full size pistol on someone, do you think they are still gonna rob it?? probly not, and there is proof that will show this. (although im not google, so reasearch it yourselves) so OC IS a crime deterant.

also, by covering your pistol with clothing, you add a fine motor skill to a already stressful situation when you go to pull it. you WILL get tunnel vision (some worse than others), and you WILL be shaking (some worse than others) from the adrenaline dump. so i dont care if youve practiced it 1,000 times or not. it wont go as practiced when it counts.
    when I OC (about 90% of the time) i have ready access to my weapon at a split seconds notice. also i have been trained on weapon retention, so if someone tries to take it cause they see it (which doesnt happen, unless you are already in a struggle) then its gonna be a bad day for them. people dont just walk up to armed people and try to grab their guns, this is one of the stupidest rummors there is out there.

i didnt feel like typing 2 pages, but hopefully this is a start for you. im sure this thread will be 200 pages long by the end of the day. they only other topic that seems to get people going so much on here is if you talk bad about a GLOCK (oh no, i said the word, here they come, LMAO)

WELCOME TO INGO!!!

EDIT:

also i dont personaly OC to educate anyone. i personaly would be happy if NO ONE i didnt already know ever talked to me when i go out in public. Im not the type who wants to talk to people about the weapon im carrying because they are in awe of its greatness, lol.

also, i dont carry to look tough or componsate for a small pennis. i do it for a worse case, last case senario. i WILL gladly whoop someones azz with my hands and feet if i have too, before i ever even think of pulling my weapon. Simply put ... if i draw my weapon, someone will die that day. i dont give worthless verbal warnings to try and spare them, or go low ready like a mall ninja in the movies, like some on here like to do. If i pull it, you are dead, because i was in fear of mine or someone elses life. the de-escelation process is well over. also it is VERY comfortable for me to OC. its like putting on a good pair of boots, its just natural.

Last edited:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I OC and CC, depending on what I am wearing. If I can easily cover it, I do, if I can't, I don't. Some people religiously OC for educational purposes/opportunities, some for comfort. Many non-carrying people don't even know that is is legal to carry a handgun (with a license)- or that it is our RIGHT to bear arms. OCing can also help show people that guns are not to be feared. When people see us carrying while doing normal, everyday stuff, they see that we are normal folks, just like them- except we have decided not to be defenseless victims.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    No link, its just my common sense knowing that if a b.g. comes in and you have a gun he is going to try to do something to end the threat coming from you, where if said b.g. doesnt see it then he wont likely think of you as much of a threat.

if they dont see your gun then they will just assume you are a average pansy citizen that has no means to protect themselves, so then THEY WILL come for you. because your prey. if you have a gun, they look at you like a predator! youve reversed the roles when you OC

Not to mention the wonderful 911 calls coming from citizens of a man with a gun which will result in you getting put on the ground with a gun in your ear. I just dont see any benefit to it.

dont need to be armed or even be doing anything illegal for that to happen in this day and age.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just dont see any benefit to it.

There are benefits.

1. Comfort - a belt or paddle holster is generally more comfortable than an IWB holster.

2. Speed - drawing from an openly carried position is faster than drawing from concealment.

3. "Deterrent affect" - some would say that predators will not pick a "hard target", and will move on to ones that would offer less resistance.

I don't personally choose to OC, but I'm glad we have that option here in Indiana.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If I had known it was a very touchy subject I would have just sat back and seen if someone else asked the question.

I dont know I guess Im not used to seeing people talk about o/c.

On a side note I do carry EVERYWHERE but I carry concealed and if some dumb guy wants to think Im a easy prey Im sure he will find out different. I dont have problems drawing and firing under stress concealed or not. Been there done that. I guess I just like to have the element of suprise.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If I had known it was a very touchy subject I would have just sat back and seen if someone else asked the question.

On a side note I do carry EVERYWHERE but I carry concealed and if some dumb guy wants to think Im a easy prey Im sure he will find out different. I dont have problems drawing and firing under stress concealed or not. Been there done that. I guess I just like to have the element of suprise.

oh believe me, i have NO problem talking about touchy subjects or stating my true feelings. when i said here we go again, i just meant that this topic has been discussed on INGO MANY, MANY times. if you use the search (if it works) you would have found the other threads. but hey, your new, no harm done. you are just asking a question, and a good one.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    And just when you thought this subject was dead.....

dante.jpg

IT'S RETURN OF THE ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

I don't think bringing up touchy subjects as such a bad thing. If you don't bring it up, it will always remain a touchy subject.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If I had known it was a very touchy subject I would have just sat back and seen if someone else asked the question..
    Um...you had to know. You said yourself:

As a new member I was persuing the board and see a number of you openly talk about how you open carry

...and since the OC/CC debate enters just about every time, you had to see it if you really were "perusing" the board. Unless you meant what you wrote and you really were "pursuing"...

And just when you thought this subject was dead.....

IT'S RETURN OF THE ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!
    Nope...whole new thread, not a "Zombie" one. lol
    Only about an hour old, currently! :D

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    ^^Guess I mistyped. I skimmed through some posts on O/C I didnt see a question posted like the one I posted so I asked. Only after another member said here we go again and stated it had been asked and answered a lot did I realized it was a subject that I should have waited to ask about. Thanks for trying to call me out though. :)

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I typically "zero effort" conceal. Try to let my shirt hang over it, but doesn't always cover the muzzle. So not quite an OCer, but I carry the way I carry because I can.

Saw a guy a Kroger yesterday who was OCing. Wanted to say hello but the self checkout lane gods saw fit to hamper my greeting. I've also been approached while standing at an ATM by a guy from out of town wanting directions. Never been approach while at an ATM before, and I was full OC with my shirt tucked in. I really don't think he even noticed. From my experiences I can see no reason not to OC. As much as the media says guns are the source of terror, I've never seen any fuss when one is visible.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I rather pick a time where I can gain cover and an element of suprise to decide if I want to present it to him.
    I'm not saying this could never happen, but I seriously don't think the numbers are in favor of it. I have never been in a place where an armed robbery happened, but my guess is (and I admit it's just a guess) that, if the saw someone with a weapon, 90% of bad guys would turn around and find a softer target. If my theory is correct you are much less likely to be around when gunplay happens.

Top Bottom