• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    No one knows all the laws without looking.
    Yes, that’s kind of my point, sorry if I wasn’t clear. While I want to exercise my rights, I also care about what the LEO thinks he knows, while not holding him accountable for knowing everything at all times, and not tempting him into a situation where he wants to cause me grief, even if I’m operating in my rights.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1. Do not care what LEO thinks.

2. Indiana does not specify how a handgun is to be carried. Carry it in your hand just don't point it at anyone.

3. Indiana does not care about open, concealed, in a boat with a goat, duct taped to forehead, just carry.

4. What pudknockers do on the range is up to that pudknocker. They should buy range bags and get squared away, but that is humanity, what can you do?
    IANAL, But isn’t there something about carrying guns in boats with or without goats?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    you make a strong case to not have cops at all if they can't differentiate lawful from unlawful behavior
    No sir, not saying that at all.
    To be clear, my original post here was quoting fnpfan stating that (the way I read it) no cops ever got hired that didn't know all the law. That's above the expectation I believe. We don't live in the perfect world.
    I'm saying quite the opposite, that we do not live in the perfect theoretical world. In the perfect world, yes , we wouldn't need cops, cause no one would be bad, that apple never would have gotten ate, but now we need cops.
    "can't differentiate lawful from unlawful behavior" is a huge blanket statement, and here we are talking about the fine nuances of how you can carry a handgun and what is the definition of "open" "carry" vs "brandishing" where you are asking a cop to make a split second decision about how to treat you when you're walking around on possibly the edge of brandisment.
    The roofer in the above example has plenty of time to check things out, and can redo it if it's wrong. If the cop makes a mistake even if you're within your rights its going to cost you lawyer money and maybe a night in the pokey, but yes it can be made right too. It pains me to say this because I never want to live in fear of exercising my rights, I just don't want to tempt a cop that much.

Edit; I used the term brandishing, I know there is no brandishing law but what meant by that is just the general pointing of the gun or the perceived pointing of it. Make sure when you try this and you are approached by the cop that knows everything that you yell "Am I being detained?"

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You can beat the rap, but you can't beat open carrying into the polling place where they wouldn't let you vote last time open carrying a 1911 you bought from the proceeds of your lawsuit.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Ah, if life were so black and white.

Yes, if it were just that easy. Everyone drives, so they think they know all the traffic laws. Everyone is a member of society, so they think they know all the criminal laws. I've lost track of people who told me, "I know the law!" when I was still a cop.

As Mr. Hough noted upthread, NO ONE can know all the laws. Take the Internal Revenue Code, with its statutes, implementing rules, and pages upon pages of agency interpretations. Search and seizure is ever evolving, how many of us are up to the minute on the latest case and statutory law?

The Indiana General Assembly is in session. New laws were created yesterday at about 4:30. Anyone care to give us a rundown on the changes? No one can keep up with everything.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yes, if it were just that easy. Everyone drives, so they think they know all the traffic laws. Everyone is a member of society, so they think they know all the criminal laws. I've lost track of people who told me, "I know the law!" when I was still a cop.

As Mr. Hough noted upthread, NO ONE can know all the laws. Take the Internal Revenue Code, with its statutes, implementing rules, and pages upon pages of agency interpretations. Search and seizure is ever evolving, how many of us are up to the minute on the latest case and statutory law?

The Indiana General Assembly is in session. New laws were created yesterday at about 4:30. Anyone care to give us a rundown on the changes? No one can keep up with everything.

Seems like a great justification for decriminalizing any and all victimless "crimes."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see the future of this thread:

south-end-train-wreck.gif

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Hey guys, what would a cop think of me driving around drinking Coca-Cola out of a beer bottle?
    Hey guys, what would a cop think of me walking around after dark with a ski mask and a crowbar?
    Hey guys, what would a cop think of me driving around with a 2x4 that sticks out 3' 11" from the bed of my truck without a red flag?

dumb.gif

Top Bottom