• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    We're in a battle for public opinion. This most certainly does not endear the public to us. A shame the effort to organize this didn't go towards something far more constructive for our cause.

Bunch of trolls is what they are.
    You are wrong, they are true ambassadors for the cause. If you don't throw your rights in people's faces than it's not a right!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is really bad. In addition to giving aid to the enemy the Texans have shot their chance of open carry right in the brisket for the foreseeable future.

This is a tragic loss and it was solely due to friendly fire.

Why they chose this course of action is unclear to me but we must remember that it is a faction of the open carry movement. Apparently empty holsters and writing letters and checks was not "hardcore" enough for them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I sent an email to Home Depot congratulating them on their refusal to bow to the gun grabbers. Not sure if it will help, but didn't think it could hurt.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    These yabos are NOT 'pro-Second Amendment friends', to anyone who supports the Second Amendment.

They're 'attention whores' that believe carrying a firearm is some version of "Jackass - The Movie". The 'point' is NOT to uphold, or stand up for, the Second Amendment. The 'point' is to see what kind of ruckus they can drum up, and get their little clip on YouTube for 'funsies'. See if they can 'scare' some of the non-carrying folks. They're no 'friend' of mine, or of any responsible gun owner, nor of anyone 'neutral' on the 2A issue. They are ONLY 'friends' to the rabid anti-gun loons.

There is NO 'right' to act irresponsibly.

Hey I agree. I OC from time to time and go about my business without thinking about what people are looking at . If I start to think about my firearm on my hip it seems to attract more stares as my walk turns into like walking on eggshells.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The problem is not OCing.

If they were carrying but with empty holsters openly (while carrying concealed) that is a way to make a point to make a point about opening carrying handguns.

If they were all carrying blackpowder handguns (and not pulling them out in public as they have down there) and having trash pick-ups or mobile hippie baths in Austin, that is another way to make a point about open carrying handguns.

However, these guys grabbed the bit in their teeth and went around carrying LONG guns "at" people without wargaming it out.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I think it comes to those who 'want it all now' and think going to the extreme is the answer. The gun grabbers know its a slow tide to turn. They started their movement in the 50s and 60s. They are still marching in the same direction today slowly making people believe this is normal and that is normal.

Your ultimate goal is to win the war...while we all want to win all the battles...sometimes you have to keep your eye on the prize.

Of course, if you're not willing to go all out and get in peoples faces right now you're not a true 2nd Amendment Patriot to some unfortunately.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . I'm not going to contest the results of the actions by the people in Texas. This didn't go well. I also will not speculate on their motives.

I am curious, though. What is the difference between how people here view carrying a rifle as being unacceptable, vs. the antis finding carrying a handgun unacceptable?

Yes, in our little culture, carrying a handgun is "normal" and carrying a rifle is unusual, but to the antis, carrying an handgun is not normal.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    So . . . I'm not going to contest the results of the actions by the people in Texas. This didn't go well. I also will not speculate on their motives.

I am curious, though. What is the difference between how people here view carrying a rifle as being unacceptable, vs. the antis finding carrying a handgun unacceptable?

Yes, in our little culture, carrying a handgun is "normal" and carrying a rifle is unusual, but to the antis, carrying an handgun is not normal.
    I personally don't see it as being a "normal" vs. "not normal" thing. I feel they are only carrying the long guns to be trolls and get reactions from people...they are doing pretty well too...
    We carry guns for self defense, that is the only reason to carry one on your person on a daily basis. They are not carrying these long guns for self defense. That is the difference in my opinion. They are solely doing this to make political statements, and privately owned businesses are are not the venue for political statements. Compare these actions to those of us who went to the capital building last year with long guns. That was done at a venue the public would expect political statements to be made.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I personally don't see it as being a "normal" vs. "not normal" thing. I feel they are only carrying the long guns to be trolls and get reactions from people...they are doing pretty well too...
    We carry guns for self defense, that is the only reason to carry one on your person on a daily basis. They are not carrying these long guns for self defense. That is the difference in my opinion. They are solely doing this to make political statements, and privately owned businesses are are not the venue for political statements. Compare these actions to those of us who went to the capital building last year with long guns. That was done at a venue the public would expect political statements to be made.

How is carrying rifles trolling and trying to get reactions, but carrying handguns is not? Other than one is "normal" and the other is not in most areas, I don't see the inherent difference.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    How is carrying rifles trolling and trying to get reactions, but carrying handguns is not? Other than one is "normal" and the other is not in most areas, I don't see the inherent difference.

The difference lies in the intent. The OCT folks are purposely trying to get a reaction from people...and they're succeeding, to our detriment. Someone who carries a sidearm for self defense is not looking to make a statement or get a reaction from people.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The difference lies in the intent. The OCT folks are purposely trying to get a reaction from people...and they're succeeding, to our detriment. Someone who carries a sidearm for self defense is not looking to make a statement or get a reaction from people.

My point is, we're viewing the intent through very similar eyes that antis view the intent of people carrying handguns.

Some of us perceive carrying a rifle as an inherently contentious act and presume to assign motives to the people doing it. I see the antis doing the same thing to handgun carriers who are doing it to rifle carriers.

Certainly some of these guys do have questionable intent and motives, but I won't ascribe those automatically to someone just because they're carrying a rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My point is, we're viewing the intent through very similar eyes that antis view the intent of people carrying handguns.

Some of us perceive carrying a rifle as an inherently contentious act and presume to assign motives to the people doing it. I see the antis doing the same thing to handgun carriers who are doing it to rifle carriers.

Certainly some of these guys do have questionable intent and motives, but I won't ascribe those automatically to someone just because they're carrying a rifle.

I get what you're saying. I'm trying to look at it through actual instead of perceived intent. We can see by their continued actions that they have chosen their particular method of demonstration in order to get a reaction. Those who open carry on a daily basis are not looking for that reaction.

No matter which method is chosen some people are going to react. There's not much we can do about that...

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

OC'ing a handgun isn't trolling. There is your difference.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I get what you're saying. I'm trying to look at it through actual instead of perceived intent. We can see by their continued actions that they have chosen their particular method of demonstration in order to get a reaction. Those who open carry on a daily basis are not looking for that reaction.

No matter which method is chosen some people are going to react. There's not much we can do about that...
    This

Top Bottom