• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Law keepers treated as law breakers. The cop didn't even know the laws.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkUj7CdOpTI]YouTube - Open Carry detention in St Charles Missouri 1of2[/ame]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am not sure that I would OC in the state of Missouri based on their laws. You'd literally have to be an expert on local laws, certainly as a tourist that would be difficult. Heck its hard enough knowing local laws if you live under them.

Open carry is generally legal in Missouri, their preemption statute is unique in that it preempts the entire field of firearms law except for the regulation of open carry. Consequently, carrying openly in Missouri will expose you to a checkerboard of local ordinances.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Overall, it looks like a reasonable and responsible event. Officers responded to a complaint. Respect was given by both officers and the CC crew. I understand the officers actions to secure the situation. Just wise procedure. I appreciate the officers willingness to listen and check the laws for accuracy.

Part of the reason for OC is to spread the word that it is legal and safe. I think this event was a good step in that direction.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Seriously though, like Melensdad said - Missouri is a place where you have to know local law, and it's highly recommended you CC unless you're a security guard in uniform. You're even responsible to find the list of businesses that don't allow guns on their property and follow their rules. It's not the cops responsibility to provide you the ordinances, rules and list of no gun areas. It's yours to find it out ahead of time. Missourians are pro gun, but much more than they are pro-gun they are very pro land owner rights. They are very particular about the whole idea of "you come into my house and it's my rules" and you gotta respect that when you're there. I lived in Springfield, Missouri for 5 years and they're that way with every law.

Last edited:

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i like how the officer admits he was wrong and didn't know the law and even showed the guy the "law book" and offered a written apology. +1 to the officer. and on a side note they way the guy was talking it sounds like he was just looking to stir up more trouble:dunno:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Overall, it looks like a reasonable and responsible event. Officers responded to a complaint. Respect was given by both officers and the CC crew. I understand the officers actions to secure the situation. Just wise procedure. I appreciate the officers willingness to listen and check the laws for accuracy.
    Even though it is a right, I myself would not OC at all in Missouri or anywhere else. It's causes drama and look how long law enforcement were held up. If they were needed on an officer down call I seriously doubt they would have just let the challengers go before a good check. I hope it never gets to the point where they see so many OC'ers they can't distinguish GG BG and quit checking licenses as a result of not enough manpower. Heck, even the bg can carry in the open then. A man with a gun call could be the gg or bg.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Even though it is a right, I myself would not OC at all in Missouri or anywhere else.
    Your choice.

It's causes drama...
    It doesn't cause drama, it simply exposes it.

...and look how long law enforcement were held up.
    Their choice or dept. policy - not necessary.

If they were needed on an officer down call I seriously doubt they would have just let the challengers go before a good check.
    Deciding to continue with something like this in lieu of responding to an actual need would be a horrible priority call IMO.

I hope it never gets to the point where they see so many OC'ers they can't distinguish GG BG...
    That would actually be awesome since they can't make this distinction by their mere act of carrying anyway.

...and quit checking licenses as a result of not enough manpower.
    Nobody checks for licenses in the states that don't require them. :dunno:
    I'd say it's a waste of manpower regardless.

Heck, even the bg can carry in the open then. A man with a gun call could be the gg or bg.
    What would it matter? It only saves them a second on their draw time and still acts as a deterrent to other BGs.

Just some thoughts.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Just some thoughts.
    Good points.
    The officers were nice about it and concerned also for the OC's life stating his gun could be taken from behind by bg. The OC states that has never happened. Okay. Peripheral vision is limited and weasles are sneaky. JMHO. It's the OC's right but also the officers job to check it out for the safety of the public. The towns PD should keep the LEO's up to date on new ordinances. Looks like everything went fairly smooth though and the LEO learned something new.
    My personal preference for me as far as CC would be the comfort of; "the element of surprise".

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    All the other stuff aside, the officers seemed very respectful.

I'm not saying it's a good thing they didn't know the law, but at least they were friendly.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I didn't hear a word of it after officers nubs showed up. It made me chuckle a little when he said he put the guns in his car because he is short a couple fingers.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Even though it is a right, I myself would not OC at all in Missouri or anywhere else. It's causes drama and look how long law enforcement were held up. If they were needed on an officer down call I seriously doubt they would have just let the challengers go before a good check. I hope it never gets to the point where they see so many OC'ers they can't distinguish GG BG and quit checking licenses as a result of not enough manpower. Heck, even the bg can carry in the open then. A man with a gun call could be the gg or bg.

Ahhh a person with common sense...how refreshing. Good post IMO.:yesway:

Top Bottom