• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We have all beaten this one to death here.

But its been addressed by the Web-zine POLICE ONE with a new article, thought some of you might want to see what their take on our debate might be:

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

I particularly like tips 3, 4 & 5. If every officer would follow those and if every citizen who OC's would be polite then the interactions between officers and individuals would go far smoother.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We have all beaten this one to death here.

But its been addressed by the Web-zine POLICE ONE with a new article, thought some of you might want to see what their take on our debate might be:

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

I particularly like tips 3, 4 & 5. If every officer would follow those and if every citizen who OC's would be polite then the interactions between officers and individuals would go far smoother.

Good link and an interesting article. I agree that #'s 3 - 5 should be key as well as the individual who OCs attitude needs to be a good one.

I OC quite a bit, have been in contact with many members of the Law Enforcment Community and have never, ever had an issue. I attribute this to two things 1st: The LEO's I've had contact with know the law and respect my rights and to them I give my thanks and respect, and 2nd: I dont make an issue of it with them either. I'm a friendly, polite type of person in most instances, that goes a long way toward changing peoples view of my and my 'shadow'. :D

Thanks, MD it was a good read!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very good analysis, and great suggestions for open carry attitude. I cannot fault a LEO who gets nervous when an open-carry individual gets belligerent. It really is a simple matter. If a man says he is going to kill you, and has in his hands the ability to do so, you must take him seriously. I know, that is the extreme case, but I think it demonstrates the issue. An armed individual acting belligerently will get a serious reaction from any LEO that wants to go home at the end of his shift.

Of course, no one likes a LEO with an attitude either. They have to be aggressive to stay alive, but they have to know and maintain the limits of insulting a citizen.

Bottom line: Be polite. Be friendly. Smile. Mutual respect will avoid a lot of problems.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good article. Thanks for posting. Some "typical" comments posted at the end, though MANY LEO-types are posting positive comments as well. Obvious confusion around state/local laws (unloaded vs. loaded, vehicle laws, etc...). The main points, though, is to KNOW YOUR LAWS, don't let personal opinions cloud your judgment, and be polite/professional.

The Canadians seem to enjoy being subjects :rolleyes:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the article. I like the analogy of the hunting context. "Wildlife officers, deputy sheriffs, and other law enforcement officials routinely contact people openly carrying loaded and unloaded firearms for legitimate purposes. It is simply a fact of life and part of the job." And yet, we don't hear about hunters being routinely disarmed in the field.

The application to lawful carry should be obvious.

Forward the link to every LEO you know.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Good stuff!

Hopefully this mentality will spread, and both police and OCers will realize that open carry doesn't mean they must instantly become enemies/competitors/antagonists...

What does it mean if someone OCs? Well... not really anything. They're just another guy.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    6.) It still takes time to draw and load the firearm. It can be done in around two seconds for well trained individuals. As with any contact, watch the hands and body language.

lol, is this guy from California?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I wish all LEOs had the objective attitude of the author. Great link!
    +1. I watch the Cop shows on TV, caught on camera type - not Hollywood type, and I have to admit that if I were police I would be a little leary of anyone I knew or thought had a firearm on their person. I think it is just human nature to do so. Also, they are supposed to go after the problems, where we are expected to escape and evade. I fully support OC, but rarely do so. For me, CC is how I choose to carry. The article was good and informative from a police perspective.:yesway:

Top Bottom