• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The walk was all about showing how ridiculous gun-free zones were and to promote concealed carry on KY campuses. The long guns were a visual aid to encourage dialogue. We had been working with UofL admins, police, and legal folks for a month before the event happened.

I think I know the guy you're talking about! He's a friend of mine (as I only saw one MAGA hat there I'll assume we're talking about the same guy).

I'm one of the organizers they interviewed btw.

Welcome to INGO and good luck!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The walk was all about showing how ridiculous gun-free zones were and to promote concealed carry on KY campuses. The long guns were a visual aid to encourage dialogue. We had been working with UofL admins, police, and legal folks for a month before the event happened.

I think I know the guy you're talking about! He's a friend of mine (as I only saw one MAGA hat there I'll assume we're talking about the same guy).

Welcome! :ingo: I kind of understand your point about the long guns, but (just my opinion) since the goal was really about handgun carry, it seemed like open carrying handguns would have been more on point. It just seems like those that may have been on the fence about the issue would be more likely to see the open carry of long guns as being a little over the top, whereas a handgun on the hip would be (again, just my opinion) less intimidating to someone that is unfamiliar with firearms. After all, "evil black rifles" seem to get more negative press than handguns these days.

PyrPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    Louisville
    Welcome! :ingo: I kind of understand your point about the long guns, but (just my opinion) since the goal was really about handgun carry, it seemed like open carrying handguns would have been more on point. It just seems like those that may have been on the fence about the issue would be more likely to see the open carry of long guns as being a little over the top, whereas a handgun on the hip would be (again, just my opinion) less intimidating to someone that is unfamiliar with firearms. After all, "evil black rifles" seem to get more negative press than handguns these days.

Alas the folks in Louisville these days don't see nothing. My full size HK on my right hip and the 2 mags on the left barely get noticed in the "liberal" parts. I even OC around campus at the food places off campus and still nothing. The long-gun was the visual aid, advertising board so to speak. Though a news outlet did get the message wrong, intentionally, about it being open carry on campus. Bottom line is though, nobody would notice 20-30 folks just walking around campus. You can't even notice the sidearms most folks wore in the photos.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Alas the folks in Louisville these days don't see nothing. My full size HK on my right hip and the 2 mags on the left barely get noticed in the "liberal" parts. I even OC around campus at the food places off campus and still nothing. The long-gun was the visual aid, advertising board so to speak. Though a news outlet did get the message wrong, intentionally, about it being open carry on campus. Bottom line is though, nobody would notice 20-30 folks just walking around campus. You can't even notice the sidearms most folks wore in the photos.

Ah okay, gotcha. :yesway: Ironically, that's also kind of the point. If students were allowed to conceal carry, they wouldn't be noticed and things would go on as "normal". Best of luck with your efforts down there!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Probably....He's a heck of a good guy.....I'm 90 percent sure he was wearing it at the march but I know he says he wears it on campus....He was filling out a 4473 and our conversation was kind of piece meal.......

Post a link to your interview if you don't mind so the Canadians like doggydaddy can see the story...:)

BB62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Yes it is, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I've organized eight public university Walks in Ohio since 2014, some of which Ilya and Aaron have attended - so when Ilya contacted me and ask that I organize the UofL Walk, I gladly did so.

Ilya and Aaron drove the student participation level to the highest percentage of any Walk, acted as local hosts to the media assembled that day, and were instrumental in other parts of the Walk.

The media coverage was substantial, and certainly created lots of direct and indirect dialogue. I see no reason why Indianans couldn't do similar Walks.

Fortunately, in Ohio, one can legally open carry ON University grounds, which further increases the opportunities for engaging interested people.

Here is a link to the U of L Walk page: http://tinyurl.com/kmn47w3

Last edited:

BB62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    The article wasn't very clear as to what their goal is, but this comment would lead me to believe that they are trying to get the administration to change a school policy rather than a state law: "'Students should have the ability to conceal carry and have means of self-defense on campus without the fear of repercussion from administration,' Chernyavskiy said."
    Both, but the chances of changing the administration's mind is equivalent to the chances of being struck by a meteorite.

Top Bottom