• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I am new at this posting stuff so if I make a mistake someone set me straight (please). The question I have is, I have been reading about open carry in Indiana. I thought Indiana didn’t have open carry. Would someone explain to me about this. :patriot:
    Thanks Reel Man.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep, Indiana does not specify the method of carry. Open or concealed is up to you. Your License to Carry Handgun (LTCH) is all you need.

There are a few debate threads about the pros and cons of each on here.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Indiana's LTCH is a "License To Carry Handgun". There is no stipulation to how you carry it. You can wear it on a lanyard around your neck, in a holster on your belt, strapped to your thigh, or you can squeeze it between your butt cheeks.

In some other states, the license only allows you to carry concealed (Like Michigan's "Concealed Pistols License".

There are many arguments for and against openly carrying, but in the end, it is up to you how you feel comfortable carrying.

ETA:
    There is a FAQ at the top of the page, good info there.

INGO has a FAQ???

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Pros: You will be super cool.
    Cons: None that immediatly come to mind. <looks over at ATFConsumer.. then looks back quickly.>

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I am new at this posting stuff so if I make a mistake someone set me straight (please). The question I have is, I have been reading about open carry in Indiana. I thought Indiana didn’t have open carry. Would someone explain to me about this. :patriot:
    Thanks Reel Man.

The only place you are allowed to open carry in Indiana is a small town in the north west called Saint John. It's a nice little town where they know the rules here in Indiana. :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    some confusion come from the term.. "open carry" is sometimes used to refer to states that allow one to carry a handgun with out a permit, as long as it is carried in the open.
    Indiana does not have this form of "open carry" .. You must have a LTCH to carry a handgun.. once you have a LTCH you can carry a handgun, under state law, in any way you want, open or concealed..

There are Very few local laws that may put some restrictions on this, and for the law to be valid it must have been in effect prior to 1/1/1994 ..

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Technically, you cannot carry concealed in Speedway. They have a grandfathered city ordinance prohibiting concealed carry, although from what I hear it's not enforced. YMMV on the not-enforced part, though, since it IS on the books.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Like it has been said already.
    You can both open carry or conceal carry if you have a LTCH (Licence To Carry a Handgun).It's up to you.
    But you do need a licence not like in some states where you only need a licence if you carry concealed.

Top Bottom