• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    What are your thoughts on open carrying an AR-15? I admit I've thought of carrying mine in the front seat of the car, passenger side, but never came up with a valid reason. I don't visit the bad parts of town, I don't go looking for an trouble. I do carry my Glock 22, OC, in a desanti pancake holster, being very pro 2A.

I know of a protest group that routinely open carries downtown to prove a point. I am wondering the sense behind this, there is the argument of exercising their 2A rights, and then there is the point of antagonizing the sheep. It seems a few of the groups I see on youtube are there more for causing a scene than promoting our rights.

What are your thoughts on this?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I think it's a good way to draw attention to yourself, if that's what you are looking for. No law against it here in Indiana but it will indeed draw the law to you in a heartbeat. If you feel gitty go for it, just let me know when and where so I can get a good seat.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Don't even try it.

As far as having one in your car, I used a trunk mount for mine.
    If you HAVE to it beside you, I'd look at mounting it on the side of your center column.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm always a little uncomfortable leaving a firearm in a vehicle. If I can't bring it with me, I generally leave my firearm at home. Theft abounds.

A rifle or shotgun is more visible and therefore potentially more accessible if left in a vehicle for any reason.

Carrying a full-size 1911 can sometimes be a chore. I don't think carrying an AR15 would be any easier.

But, ymmv.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would recommend NOT doing it. I'm as pro 2A as anyone, but it's imperative to consider the perspective of those who are not.

We carry sidearms (pistols) in our day to day activities because they are convenient for just that; every day carry, and are reasonably effective for the majority of situations that you are most likely to need a gun for. Hence, by and large they are considered an acceptable measure of security for normal conditions (day to day) and are more of a "social norm" even though not everyone agrees you should be able to do so. The likelihood of actually needing it as actually relatively small, but many of us still choose to be prepared. The chances of a situation arising that would warrant the need of the rifle are considerably less even. Short of mass rioting or some other similar circumstances, it simply wouldn't be needed and even though the anti-gun population may not be able to put it in a clearly communicated context, they subconsciously understand this. That takes this choice well outside what would be deemed a social norm under normal, day to day circumstances.

I'm not one to care about what people think of me in general, however consider the domographics of the situation. Those who wish to abolish our 2A rights are considerably more vocal than the rest of us when it comes to their demands. So when you do something far outside of a social norm, they will blow it FAR out of proportion and use it as an example to demonstrate "why we (gun owners) are crazy and a potential threat." Since you are acting outside of the social norm, many people would agree that you are acting in a manner which warrants questions. Thus, opening yourself, gun rights, and essentially all other gun owners up to considerably further scrutiny.

So, short of extreme circumstances which would warrant the need for it...why do it? The only logical choice for it is lone activism, and as pointed out already this only further arms those who wish to take our rights with examples of "why we shouldn't have them." It only attracts unecessary attention, especially when it's just a lone man. It's quite a bit different context when it's a mass demonstration/protest such as was held earlier in the year.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Not that anyone needs a reason to exercise a right, but remember, the Indiana legislature chose to make general handgun carry illegal.

Sure, I purchased that loathsome pink permission slip many years ago so I'd be allowed an exception, but that right remains infringed.

Whereas the general carrying of long arms in Indiana remains relatively uninfringed, I would classify such practice a much better representation of exercising a right.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you feel an openly-carried rifle is necessary for your safety, then carry on (or stay home). Otherwise I'd stick to defensive tools that allow you to go about your day without notice or incident.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    No... whining cowardly crybabies who are afraid of everybody with a gun who vote for people who do whatever they want without regard to the Constitution are the reason we can't have nice things.

Starbucks-Gun-Rights-Advocates.jpg

Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I appreicate all the replies. Like I said I've never don't it, don't intend to, but was wondering everyone's thoughts on it. Any time I've taken mine out do the house, it's always been going to the range, and even then it's been in a case. The folks on YouTube doing it are almost always intercepted by the police rather quickly and only seem to want to make a ruckus.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I don't see carrying an AR15 around in public as the smartest thing to do. Unless of course the person carrying it is just looking attention and/or trouble. Then at that point the person should not even own a weapon.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

They aren't the reason we can't have nice things. The whining crybaby panzies who call the cops on them are the reason we can't have nice things. The whining crybaby panzies who vote for anti-gun legislators who disregard the Constitution and Bill of Rights are why we can't have nice things.

I don't blame the type of folks in your picture.

Maybe you do, based on your prior post on this topic:

It's the reason we can't have nice things...

:dunno:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From a Geneva Conventions point of view:
    AR-15: offensive weapon
    Handgun: defensive weapon

Yes, I know this is Indiana, not Switzerland (apologies to INGO'ers from Switzerland County). If you're at a 2A Rally? Carry on with the AR/AK/Barrett/anything with a sling especially if it's cool. Other than that, if you need to open carry an AR due to the area? Consider MOVING!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Why would one really want too? I think that it would be perfectly normal in a hostile environment, but to just walk around carrying a rifle for the heck of it would be a pain in the butt.

There were a number of times, in the Marines, I sure wished I would have not been carrying around my rifle...along with all the other gear, it was a hassle. JMHO.

Top Bottom