• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    In June I decided that I was going to bow hunt this year. At that point, I had never shot a modern compound bow. But after my first year gun hunting last year, I knew that I wanted to "lengthen my season" as it were, so I bought a used bow, a dozen arrows and got to it.

Fast forward through some lessons, some pain from shooting too much too early, my first robin hood arrow, and other such prep, to October 1, 2011.

I got in the tree around 5:15 because I knew it would take me a long time to get settled in. I finally get everything set up and soon daylight starts to break. I get the rangefinder out and range a few trees to get an idea of some distances. At this point the squirrels make themselves known. No less than 6 were running around within 40 yards of the tree. Almost 2 hours pass without seeing anything and then out of nowhere (I'm convinced they appeared by magic) a doe and a fawn step out from behind the 30 yard tree. Immediately the heart rate jumps to 180 as I reach for the bow. The wind was in my favor and I somehow managed to be quiet enough for them not to notice me. The doe stepped in front of the fawn and walked up the path an behind the 20 yard tree. Taking a deep breath, I drew as she passed behind it. Emerging from the other side, she took just a few more steps and stopped perfectly broadside at about 18 yards. I settled the top pin just behind the crease and with a smooth squeeze sent the arrow right through her. A perfect double lung complete pass through. She made it just a few seconds before crashing.

I don't know who was more shocked, the deer or me. The entire encounter couldn't have been more than 30 seconds. But that 30 seconds and the few minutes in the tree immediately after make all the time, money, blood, sweat and tears of the prep season worth it. I am hooked on bow hunting. I'm really looking forward to filling my other tags this season!!

In all my excitement, I failed to get a picture in the field with my doe and bow, but I did snap one right before we skinned and quartered her. It is terrible, but I'll share anyway.

Thanks for reading! Hunt hard, hunt safe!!

2011doe1.jpg

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Great job, hang out in the stand just a little longer. Usually the little ones will hang around with momma. 2 for 1. I call the little ones crock pot deer.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated.

I thought about and could have easily had the 2 for 1 (I have video of the young one when she came back looking for mom) but the land owner allows many people to hunt and I didn't want to be greedy, nor risk losing my invitation. I took 2 off their property last year so I didn't want to push it. That and I only brought 1 cooler :)

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I don't how many times I told people that preparation is the key to a successful hunt. You put the work in to make it a successful hunt. Congratulations.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Again, thanks everyone for the kind words: I appreciate it. She is now in my freezer! I just finished the grinding this evening. I'm ready for the next one!! I have plenty of room left. :)

Top Bottom