OPINION AND POLL: Trade .40 Glocks for 9mm, or buy conversion barrels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you trade for 9mm dedicated or just buy conversion barrels?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Here is my situation. When I got into shooting years ago, I bought a couple Glocks in .40. I have a suppressor on the way, and want to be able to use them for suppressed cheaper plinking in 9mm. .40 is really never quiet.

My biggest question... should I buy 9mm threaded barrels, or trade them out for 9mm guns? If the 9mm conversions are JUST as reliable and functional as the 9mm dedicated guns, I want to go that route So that i can have choices. I personally have no problem carrying only 9mm now if they were dedicated 9mm guns. But if the conversions are perfect, I'd prefer not to go through the trouble of getting rid of MY guns. I only have a couple hundred rounds of ammo sitting in the safe, so I could trade it out if needed without losing too much.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I carry these daily. They need to be reliable.
    EDIT2: Glock 27, Glock 23. OD green for both, this is the only part that is 'special' to me.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For range use, the conversion barrels should be fine. I don't think I'd trust one for carry though.

Personally, I'd ditch them for 9mm because I see no purpose in the .40 round, but that's me not you.

When ammo was scarce and I didn't reload, being able to run multiple calipers in one gun was appealing. Now, I've consolidated to 9 and reload all I need.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    poll is close.

For range use, the conversion barrels should be fine. I don't think I'd trust one for carry though.

Personally, I'd ditch them for 9mm because I see no purpose in the .40 round, but that's me not you.

When ammo was scarce and I didn't reload, being able to run multiple calipers in one gun was appealing. Now, I've consolidated to 9 and reload all I need.

Thats what i was thinking for carry. I don't mind switching over to 9mm completely. I just wanted to hear from someone that it is definitely not as reliable for carry purposes. anyone had any issues?

I voted for a trade. If you get a conversion then you still have Glocks.
    well then. They work for me, I know them well, shoot well with them, and I have a glock holster for just about every occasion.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

^^^^^ all of this !!!!!

Oh, get a .357 sig, while you're at it !!!!!

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always buy 40 cal Glocks and 9mm conversion barrels. The last time I had a 9mm gun, there was a high profile shooting, then an ammo shortage and no 9mm ammo in the stores. There was usually a box or two of 40 cals though. I think the ability to shoot both calibers, whether for price or availability is the best way to go.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom