• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    While deer hunting this season my brother noticed a tree stand just onto our property. The tree was maybe a foot on our side of the fence line. He told me about it and I suggested he simply leave a note for the neighbor (or whoever was using it) that we also hunt in several spots in our woods.

He kept saying he wanted to take it down and keep it. The neighbor has been an ass for years, trashing our place with beer cans, dumping dead cattle over the fence onto our property, running ATVs through our corn and bean fields, etc.

I should also note that the woods ends on the property line and that his stands faced into our woods and not toward his property. So brother and I went and took it down. He had locked it on the tree with a pad lock and chain. So I left the chain for him on his property with a note to call with any questions.

He called and was upset and wanted his stand back.

So should I give it to him?

(my inclination is to drop it at his house around Xmas cut into little tiny pieces)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'd give it back 1 time. Make it known from now on any tree stands etc found in your woods would be kept.
    Maybe also drop something along the lines of DNR/Sheriff will be called on trespassers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd give it back once as mentioned. When given back I'd have a discussion about the other crap he's been pulling and try to resolve the problems. If he doesn't have woods on his own property perhaps you might consider allowing him to hunt/shoot onto yours provided he follows whatever rules you put in place. I hate a trespasser as much as the next guy but a troublesome neighbor can cause many issues without stepping foot onto your property, might be worth the effort to take the high ground and see if you can turn it in to a win/win.

That said, if he isn't receptive to your kindness that'd be the last stand he erected on my property that he'd ever see again unless it was cut in half.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had this happen before, I just take the stands down and throw them over the fence.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Give it back. If he's still too stupid to take the hint and puts it up again, finders keepers.

That's what I'd do. I've taken a couple of stands down and left them in my shop for 2 years waiting for someone to come ask about them but never heard anything. I have since put them back up in new locations and still never heard anything from anybody. Guess no one wanted to come and admit they were trespassing. Your neighbor sounds like an ass. I would give it back, to "take the high road" as suggested above. I would, however, tell him you weren't going to assume they were his in the future and keep them. Trespassers and ******* neighbors suck!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Before giving it back I would ask why do you trash my land with your beer cans and dead cows ? Get your answer then decide if you want to do... If he acts like a total prick tell him you will drop it off later you don't have it with you or he can come by and get it and return it in pieces and tell him if you find anymore they will be turned into scrap metal just as this one has.... So you been forwarned you prick.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'd probably be an ass and turn it in to an erector set. Missing half the screws. Then put in in a box on the other side of the fence. IMHO. If you haven't you had better put up No Trespassing signs. I am lucky that I get along great with my neighbors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd give it back once as mentioned. When given back I'd have a discussion about the other crap he's been pulling and try to resolve the problems. If he doesn't have woods on his own property perhaps you might consider allowing him to hunt/shoot onto yours provided he follows whatever rules you put in place. I hate a trespasser as much as the next guy but a troublesome neighbor can cause many issues without stepping foot onto your property, might be worth the effort to take the high ground and see if you can turn it in to a win/win.

That said, if he isn't receptive to your kindness that'd be the last stand he erected on my property that he'd ever see again unless it was cut in half.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd probably be an ass and turn it in to an erector set. [STRIKE]Missing[/STRIKE] Remove half the screws. Then put [STRIKE]in in a box on the other side of the fence[/STRIKE] it back up in the tree for the next time he comes along.

FTFY

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I would probably try to approach it pretty calmly and have him come and pick it up. I would simply say hey, we hunt our land and the fact that you are hunting on my land means there is a good chance one of us could get accidentally shot since I am not expecting anyone to be in the area but me and my family.

Maybe see if you could sense some willingness to cooperate and develop a mutual understanding. Having a good neighbor is worth its weight in gold and taking an as%hole appraoch right from the get go might only mean your gonna get that back.

Now if he is being a jerk then you can increase your bark up a little and say look I am not going to play any games. The next time I find a stand on my property, dead livestock or trash I am going to call the DNR and let them handle this.

He will most likely gruff and say he has no idea what you mean but keep your cool and say that will be for the DNR to decide. They get paid to enforce the laws and are pretty good at their job.

I dunno, I have found that when it comes to a dirtbag neighbor the more they can get you riled up and mad the more they agg it on. They enjoy the feud for lack of a better term and recruit all their kin folk and idiot friends to join in.

Thats why I would go the cool, calm route and get loud when the time calls for it.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree with most, take the nice approach of giving his stand back and ask him about leaving trash and riding the ATVs through your fields. He may claim it is not him but likely it will stop. Then post your property so that he cannot claim that he did not know he was trespassing if he does it again. And if he does, let the DNR do their job.

Whatever you do, keep us posted to what you did and the outcome.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I put up my elevated blind right in front of a trespasser's stand. 2 Weeks after it was up, I went back to finish cutting limbs on shooting lanes. The guy had taken his stand down and kicked all the windows out of my blind. Luckily, they were made of plexiglass and none of them broke. We put the windows back in and haven't had any problems since.

If I had taken his tree stand, he probably would have burned my blind down.

I hate trespassers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I put up my elevated blind right in front of a trespasser's stand. 2 Weeks after it was up, I went back to finish cutting limbs on shooting lanes. The guy had taken his stand down and kicked all the windows out of my blind. Luckily, they were made of plexiglass and none of them broke. We put the windows back in and haven't had any problems since.

If I had taken his tree stand, he probably would have burned my blind down.

I hate trespassers.

And you all say it sucks in the big city.....:dunno:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I agree with this. If you take the high ground, as Phylo said, your neighbor can never say that you didn't give a little bit and you'll stand on a firmer leg personally, knowing that you did the right thing. Then if he takes it further, all's fair as they say.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ONE foot over the property line?
    I'm not there so I haven't a comment on this one.
    I'm lucky I have great neighbors and we all live together well.
    Trespassers on the other hand I have no tolerance for.
    Now back to that "ONE FOOT" thingy...

Top Bottom