• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a chance to pick up a very nice condition SAR-1 AK. My understanding is these are Romanian built, CAI imported true military AK's used in romy training. They have had the threads turned off the barrel and the bayo lug ground off.

I have nicer AK's and have had WASR's. Anyone have an opinion of the SAR? I figure, while bayonets are nice, I won't miss it. Anyone priced one lately?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You almost have if right. The SAR-1 for the Romanian army did not have muzzle threads to start with. There are many AKMs out there used by militaries around the world that do not have threaded muzzles.

You are correct about the bayo lug being ground off, but Mr K himself wondered why manufacturers put bayo lugs on his rifle because as he said something to the effect, if your enemy is close enough to be bayonetted, turn the rifle around and use it as a club!

Funny you ask about the price as I was just researching it on the various sites, and it seems like $500 to $550 is the current asking price.

Personally I really grew to like the SAR-1 mostly because it was and remains the only factury issue AK variant that was imported into this country and a true military issue rifle. All other AKs imported into the US for sale to those of us who shall not be infringed were and still are commercial rifles.

The biggest problems with the SARs were many suffered from crooked gas and sight blocks. The sight block was more a looks thing as the rifle still shot to point of aim, but the gas block could cause cycling problems. The other issue was the junk fire control group Century installed to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment. Trigger slap being the big issue, easily fixed with a dremel or replacing the fire control group with a Tapco set.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Well, you talked me into it I think. Guy offered it to me for $300. :D

Being as nice as I can, I HATE YOU!!!! :D:D:D

That is a great price for an SAR-1 these days, and for that matter, not a bad price before ATF decided they didn't meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment!!!!

If I came across one for under $400 these days, especially face to face, I would be hard pressed to turn it down. At $300 the money would be out of my wallet faster than imaginable!!!

Congrats and pictures required! :D

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have one a bought from a member last fall for $400. It was in like new shape with no problems other than trigger slap. I replaced the fire control group with an Arsenal one from AK builder. Runs fine very nice AK.
    Dave

Top Bottom