• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I have been looking at the Ruger 22/45 Lite and would like the opinion of other members concerning this handgun. The main use of the pistol would be general plinking but I would like to introduce my 9 year old grandson to handgun safety and as well as proper shooting technique.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    My wife has one. Everyone that shoots it loves it. We've been using it to teach the grandkids and other new shooters. It also suppresses quite well. Several thousand rounds through it and no problems to date. Tearing it apart took a couple of times to get it down but not a big deal like everyone seems to think.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I just bought one last week and so far so good. I've only stripped it down and back once an it was a pain, but I'm sure practice will make it better. Well, that and my new Sam Lam bushing. :)

Hopefully, I'll also learn how to avoid running my thumb knuckle down the sharp plastic housing for the trigger spring when pulling the pin out.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I just picked one up last weekend planning going to the range next weekend or possibly heading over to beech grove's indoor range this weekend. I'll post back on how I like afterwards.

I was torn between the regular Mk series or the 22/45 lite but after holding it I deiced I wanted to try something lighter. I might also try a compensator on it too just for giggles since it has a threaded barrel. Would also like to have a suppressor for it but don't want to pay the tax/fee for them.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I got over 2000 rds through mine with ZERO malfunctions. It likes CCI and cheap Win. get one you'll not be disappointed.

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks erveryone for your information. I am sure this is the pistol to fit my needs. Now to just find a good deal...

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Own one...

It took me a bit to get the trigger down... but with a couple hundred rounds of practice, I love it.

i'd like to eventually do some trigger and sight upgrades, but it is a fun little plinker

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Got one last year. Only took it out to the range once. Had a few failure to feeds but im not sure if it was the ammo or the gun itself. With that said, I'm still happy with the purchase and enjoy the gun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Trigger sucks, mag disconnect sucks, and load chambered indicator sucks.

That being said, swap in a Volquartsen trigger, ditch the disconnect and LC indicator and its a pretty sweet pistol.

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Ive got my mind set on a Ruger pistol, have yet to decide on model though. I do think the Lite looks sharp, but I think I like the Hunter better but I know its around $200 more.

FNRA Scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    East Central Indiana
    Got one last year. Only took it out to the range once. Had a few failure to feeds but im not sure if it was the ammo or the gun itself. With that said, I'm still happy with the purchase and enjoy the gun.

Had feed problems too. Also had a few issues getting the mag to release. Again, probably a lubrication problem. Just need to shoot it more.
    First several mags that I shot thru it were suppressed. I LOVED IT!!! One of the reasons I bought it- the threaded barrel. Nice looking too.
    Paid just under 4 for mine- OTD.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Depends on your definition of simple. You have to replace the hammer bushing which requires more disassembly than just field stripping.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Trigger sucks, mag disconnect sucks, and load chambered indicator sucks.

That being said, swap in a Volquartsen trigger, ditch the disconnect and LC indicator and its a pretty sweet pistol.

I just bought 2. 1 of them has the above treatment (thanks Repete!), the other is awaiting funds for the same.

First one also has an Allchin Comp, Allchin Cmore mount, and a Cmore slideride. Should be perfect for steel plates.

[Tag for pic]

Second one will be a suppressor host/trainer.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I have a mark 3 target,,bull, 6 inch, and at 30 yrds can break clays all day long with few misses.i recently picked up the lite, love the feel of it, but so far not as accurate as the mark 3. close,, but has some "flyers" about 40% of the time. plan to experiment with differnt ammo and see if that helps. im hoping that with some more practice and a little wear in this will cure itself,,

Top Bottom