• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've got a Taurus 605. Only trouble I ever had was a semi wadcutter that wasn't seated all the way. Got caught on the forcing cone.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I owned a taurus PT58s it was a great gun never had the first problem. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to trade it in for a 9mm . After reading about some of the problems people were having with some of the current models from taurus I decided on a Ruger SR9c and love it.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I am the very happy owner of a Taurus PT92AFS and defy anyone to show me a better gun for the money. I've also had 3 or 4 different Taurus revolvers and a TCP over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I've never had a major issue with any of my Taurus's, but I do enjoy the fact that I have a lifetime warranty to fall back on as things deteriorate over the next 20 or 30 years.

I have a 24/7 in .45, zero issues of any kind for something like 500 rounds.

I have a PT 738, (recent purchase,) and it has something like 100 rounds through it without a single issue yet. For a sub-compact, I'm impressed that it didn't need a break-in period.

I have a Taurus PT-22, (actually got it for the girlfriend,) and it did have some slight feeding issues until we got it broken in. I also had a broken grip, but that wasn't the guns fault. Its got the pink pearl grips on it, (she likes pink,) and she dropped it, and cracked the grip. I emailed Taurus, and was told to ship the broken grip in. About 2 weeks, round trip, and I got a brand new set of grips for free.

I've got a friend that owns a PT-92, no issues or problems with it at all.

My father owns a 24/7 in 9mm, and he hasn't had any issues with his, either.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Tracker

I have only owned one Taurus, a 4" .357 Tracker. The only issue I have ever had with it was it completely locked up one day in a revolver match I was in. I don't know what happened, but it locked up in the middle of a stage. Would not fire, I could not cock it and I could not get the cylinder to release. After messing with it on the line, I was able to get the cylinder open. No problems hundreds or rounds later.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife purchased a new a 9mm 24/7 DAO version several years ago. She really enjoys shooting this reliable pistol that fits her small hand, and has enough weight to make it comfortable for her to shoot for extended periods with SV loads.

The only persistant FTF problems we ever encountered with this 24/7 pistol was with MagTech range ammo. For some odd reason every second round required a tap to the back of the slide to get it to fully chamber. And this had nothing to do with powder fouling.

I purchased a new PT-99 that I thoroughly enjoy shooting. Aside from encountering and solving a problem caused by a fouled firing pin channel, this rather heavy pistol rocks with everything I feed it.

To increase control with heavier loads, I installed a FireDragon dual recoil spring with a two-piece guide rod, and rubber Pachmeyer wrap-around grips with finger grooves.

I do know two individuals who encountered serious malfunction problems with their snubbie revolvers that required months of frustrating negotiation with the Taurus customer service department before they both finally received financial compensation for their faulty revolvers.

So, personally, I would not purchase a Taurus revolver. However, I might purchase another Taurus pistol. But I doubt it, since I recently purchased a new FNP-9... 'nough said. ;)

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned several taurus revolvers and automatics over 30-40 years. Most of them worked fine. Especially any that were made in last 5-6 years.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    For the money they are reliable out of the box guns. However, if something does go wrong. Parts will be an issue. I needed a part for a model 85 and waited 8 months for them to send me the wrong part.

TankerScout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I own a 709 Slim 9mm since last year; shoots fine. Only issues I notice is that for a little gun that's 9mm, it has a bit of a kick. My 9mm Beretta seems easier to shoot, even though it's bigger. But overall, I'm satisfied. In fact, I'm thinking about the new .40 cal version of the Slim that is offered.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same issue with taurus that I have. I currently own 7 taurus hand guns (3 autos and 4 wheel guns). I have small hands and taurus seems to fit my hands better than a lot of other brands. The problem I have is out of the 7 I have had to send 4 of them in for warranty repairs (3 of them immediatly after purchasing them new.) All of the autos and one revolver have gone back. 2 of the other revolvers also are picky about the ammo I use in them which I have never seen in another brand of wheel gun. When I get them back from repair service they have always worked great after that, but I am without my new toy for anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.

Now the question is do I completely stay away from Taurus because I have a good chance of having to send it back or do I keep going with them because I like the way they feel and shoot when they are working correctly. Just wondered what other people have experienced and thought.:dunno:

The autos that have had to go back are
    pt111 (had to put a new cylinder in it because it started shooting down).
    pt140 pro (the mag would fall out after every round you shot)
    pt738 (wouldnt eject spent cartridges, tried multiple brands with same result)

The revolver was
    .327 fed mag. (had to replace the whole trigger and hammer assembly because the cylinder wouldnt lock up, it would just spin.)

The revolvers that are VERY picky about ammo are
    .17 hmr ultra light 2"
    .17 hmr 4"
    (they only like cci ammo hate hornady. Bothe are 8 shot and after about 5 shots the cylinder starts locking up because of the notch that the firing pin leaves on the rimfire cartridge.)

The only one I have never (yet) had any issue with is a
    Tracker model .357 4".

Thanks INGO!!!

They have a very good service department, the turn around is quick, they may or may not fix the problem or problems with your weapon......The up side is they still make a good paper weight....my 2 cents:dunno:

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    They have a very good service department, the turn around is quick, they may or may not fix the problem or problems with your weapon......The up side is they still make a good paper weight....my 2 cents:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have had four Taurus guns and never a single failure in any of them with the exceptioin of my old TCP not feeding Golden Sabres that well.

My PT1911, Model 66 7 shot 357, and my M85 snub have been 100%. They have quality work for the cost. They arent as nice as a Kimber or S&W 686 but cost significantly less.

Dont fear the bull lol.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011

Boy shooting 5 months back for your 27th post. LOL - plus you post it twice! Getting close to 50 amigo!!!

BTW - Taurus anything is garbage.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I had a 605 2" stainless .357mag for CCW. I took it to the range with both .38spl and .357mag. The box of 38 was fine but after 3 rounds of .357, the action bound up. I could not pull the trigger or cock the hammer. I was able to open the cylinder, empty the gun and send it back for repair. After getting it back, I went to the range again with the same result. I sent it back for the 2nd time. After getting it back again, I went to the range and put a box of .357 through it with no lock-up. I dumped the gun at a show soon after.

Also, during one of my Basic Pistol courses, the question came up about Taurus quality. I relayed the above story and 2 of the 8 people in the class said they had the same experience with their Taurus guns. I remember one being a "Judge" but I don't recall what the other model was.

I know some people swear by them but I personally will never buy a Taurus again for anything but a plinker. In my opinion they have an unacceptable reliability for a gun that I will bet my life on.

I went back to a what I trust and got a Colt Defender for my CCW. If I do ever want a revolver for CCW...it's gonna be a S&W.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had a 605 2" stainless .357mag for CCW. I took it to the range with both .38spl and .357mag. The box of 38 was fine but after 3 rounds of .357, the action bound up. I could not pull the trigger or cock the hammer. I was able to open the cylinder, empty the gun and send it back for repair. After getting it back, I went to the range again with the same result. I sent it back for the 2nd time. After getting it back again, I went to the range and put a box of .357 through it with no lock-up. I dumped the gun at a show soon after.

Also, during one of my Basic Pistol courses, the question came up about Taurus quality. I relayed the above story and 2 of the 8 people in the class said they had the same experience with their Taurus guns. I remember one being a "Judge" but I don't recall what the other model was.

I have a close friend that picked up a used 605 for a good price. He even got 48 rounds of .357 ammo in the purchase. Gun runs flawlessly with .38 special, but as soon as we put the .357 in the cylinder guess what. Same problem as you experienced. Our solution is not to shoot .357 in the gun.

My boss has purchased 5 new Tauri in the last year. Of those his circuit judge and a .44 magnum revolver went back for repair.

But Taurus is not the only one with some quality control issues. I have purchased 3 new Smith & Wesson/Walther/Thompson Center firearms in the last year. Of those 3 I have had to send 2 of them back to the factory for warranty work after the first trip to the range. In both cases the company fixed the problem quickly and at absolutely no cost to me.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned between 12 to 15 taurus guns over a 30 year period. I only had a problem with one 357 revolver. It would bind when shooting 357 ammo, but worked allright with 38.s.

Top Bottom