• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Let me set the premise. I've already got multiple "normal" ARs so what I'm contemplating doing is not the only one I will have nor will it replace anything. It will be in addition to what I already have. I have two of the INGO lowers from the 2nd group buy coming soon and want to build one out now. With this build I want to do something a little different, but I'm not interested in adding a new caliber or building a long range gun.

So I'm looking for opinions on the side charging upper and suggestions for a particular brand if anyone has one and likes it (or ones to stay away from). I've read opinions about this on other forums and it seems to be pretty much a personal preference thing as to whether or not people have them.

Thanks for any input.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Meh. I've had them (several different models) through the armory. Not impressed, but each to his own. This from someone who owns HK91s and HK93s.

I always analogize it to bullpups. If I was conscripted at 19 right out of Gymnasium and got used to reloading under my armpit and how to handle left side for 18 months, then, yeah, I'd be cool with bullpups.

I like having the magwell out in front of me, and I like having the charging handle where my hand "naturally" goes to reach it.

It's all about the reps.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Meh. I've had them (several different models) through the armory. Not impressed, but each to his own. This from someone who owns HK91s and HK93s.

I always analogize it to bullpups. If I was conscripted at 19 right out of Gymnasium and got used to reloading under my armpit and how to handle left side for 18 months, then, yeah, I'd be cool with bullpups.

I like having the magwell out in front of me, and I like having the charging handle where my hand "naturally" goes to reach it.

It's all about the reps.

It kind of surprises me that you don't like them better. The AR style charging handle on the Sig MPX is my only real complaint with the gun. A forward, HK style, would make it perfect.

OP, post up what uppers you are looking at. I've never really researched them, and have only personally seen one complete AR with a forward charging handle.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    OP, post up what uppers you are looking at. I've never really researched them, and have only personally seen one complete AR with a forward charging handle.

A couple I've looked at are below, but much of my reason for posting is to get input and direction toward one of these from someone that might own one.

This is one I've been looking at as it seems to get good reviews. There's also a good overview out there from Hickok45.
    https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-side-charging-upper-receiver/
    It's a left side non-reciprocating piece that can use a standard bolt.

I've also been at least considering this as a complete upper. This is right side reciprocating piece so proprietary bolt, etc. I shoot AKs a lot so reciprocating seems normal to me.
    PSA 18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 15" M-lok Side Charging Upper - 7791759

Here's the Hickok video on the Gibbz piece.
    [video=youtube;8aUOdBX3k9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUOdBX3k9U[/video]

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have two side chargers and I really like it. The first one was side charge only and the bolt was not compatible with a standard CH. The one that is my primary rifle has both. Here it is, https://www.cmttac.com/AR-15-Receivers/AR 15 CMT Billet Upper Receivers?product_id=122

I can run it like an AK and I really like it. Very high quality parts too, it really feels like a factory gun and not a cobbled together gimmicky build like some of the options out there. Not ridiculously expensive either. The BCG is from Young MFG and is a beautiful AND high quality BCG, YM National Match Bolt Carrier Group W / Right Side Charge Handle Complete (Chrome Only)

Another benefit is if you are shooting prone or on a bench with an optic, a side charger is a good alternative.

My wife strongly prefers a side charger because it's difficult for he to use a standard CH. I know training will help but this is a really good option to address the preference for a side charger. I initially got it to make it easier for her but now I very much prefer it.

Here's mine,

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    A couple I've looked at are below, but much of my reason for posting is to get input and direction toward one of these from someone that might own one.

This is one I've been looking at as it seems to get good reviews. There's also a good overview out there from Hickok45.
    https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-side-charging-upper-receiver/
    It's a left side non-reciprocating piece that can use a standard bolt.

I've also been at least considering this as a complete upper. This is right side reciprocating piece so proprietary bolt, etc. I shoot AKs a lot so reciprocating seems normal to me.
    PSA 18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde 1/7 15" M-lok Side Charging Upper - 7791759

Here's the Hickok video on the Gibbz piece.
    [video=youtube;8aUOdBX3k9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUOdBX3k9U[/video]

I looked at both of those and they are nice but each had deal breakers for me.

The Gibbs one adds too many non-standard parts and complexity. I could completely lose/break the side charging handle on mine and keep going using the standard CH. I also keep a spare handle in my grip storage.

I think the PSA uses the same upper and BCG that I have on my spare upper. That doesn't allow for a standard CH and if it's the same BCG isn't machined in a way that it works even if the upper allows for a standard CH. I learn this the hard way when I switched to the CMT upper.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    The ARAK-21 fits your criteria. Non reciprocating charging handle that can be put on either side. No buffer tube needed either, so you can have a folding stock, or save weight by taking the buffer and spring out. I have one and love the thing.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some people like the ability to rack the bolt while still firmly in sling stabilized position. Another advantage is the ability to use a custom butt stock with a cheek piece to better use specialized sights. Filling the charging handle hole at the back of the receiver DOES keep gas from blowing in your eye. I have made seals out of black rtv on standard charging handles for years.

There are quite a few match rifles with modified receivers and pull knobs attached to the side of the bolt. You have to minimize the mass of the lever/knob, because the speed of the bolt carrier while cycling snaps off heavier knobs. I have also seen the threaded hole in the bolt carrier fail. Some make a hole in the side of bolt carrier and use a separate tool. That would not be my first choice. I have never seen an upper receiver fail or crack from milling out the material for the clearance slot. To my way way of thinking, as a right handed person, a pull knob on the left is not advantageous. Whatever styles I have seen are modifications, and come with some compromises.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom