• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello all,

I am a rifle newbie and hug caught the bug of wanting one.

I need some help in decided between .270, .30-06, or .308. Thoughts?

The gun will not see much use. Possibly some deer hunting and some paper. Any hunting would be in IN or KY. In my opinion, any three of these would be plenty big enough. I like the idea of these three calibers being pretty affordable to shot.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am a huge fan of savage, I would look at the Axis line. Savage is probably the best out of the box shooting rifle you will fine, especially on a working man's budget.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

axis.png

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Hello all,

I am a rifle newbie and hug caught the bug of wanting one.

I need some help in decided between .270, .30-06, or .308. Thoughts?

The gun will not see much use. Possibly some deer hunting and some paper. Any hunting would be in IN, IL, or KY. In my opinion, any three of these would be plenty big enough. I like the idea of these three calibers being pretty affordable to shot.

Let me know what you think!

You cannot hunt deer in Indiana with any of the three cartridges you listed. Kentucky, they are legal for deer, Illinois I don't know.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    of the calibers you listed i would go 308. hunt most anything in north america just not in indiana. the only listed state you can hunt deer with them is ky.

the good thing about the 308 is everything has been tried as far as powder, primer, bullet combinations if your a reloader. if not you can get great match ammo or plinking ammo very easily

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    You cannot hunt deer in Indiana with any of the three cartridges you listed. Kentucky, they are legal for deer, Illinois I don't know.

Ah - thank you! I have just spent the last thirty minutes researching this.

I just moved to Indiana and was thinking that you could - little did I know it is limited to pistol cartridges...

Well - back to the drawing board.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    KY would be the only state of those you mentioned to legally hunt deer with in a rifle. Tough decision between your listed calibers. If I wanted an all around hunting rig I would go 30-06, paper punching gets the 308 vote. If I knew it was deer sized or smaller game only the 270 would be my pick.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    IMO, you'll get the most bang for your buck out of a .308. And I would look at Savage's or Remingtons models.

What is your price range your thinking for the gun alone?
    When you get enough posts in, the classified section usually has really good deals

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You just picked out the three most popular deer hunting cartridges in America. All are good, all do pretty much the same thing. My deer cartridge of choice is the 7mm 08, which is not as powerful as any of the above, but has less recoil and more panache.

If I still lived in Indiana and wanted to hunt deer, here's what I would do:

1. Buy Savage's new super accurate 20 guage bolt action shotgun that shoots MOA groups, and is good out to 200 yards and pretend it's a rifle.
    2. Buy a used H R Handi Rifle in 357 Mag and get it reamed out to 357 Maximum. This would allow you to have a rifle that is close to 30 30 ballistics (the other most popular deer cartridge of the top four) and also allow you to shoot cheaper 38s for practice. You could shoot three different types of ammo through it, two of which are good for deer and legal in IN, and the other which are great for small game.

There ya' go.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    .308 has my vote. More bullet selection for .30cal if you reload. There is plenty of loaded rounds and prices to fit your budget and needs. (mil. surplus --- premium factory loads)

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Personally, id choose a 30-06.

sure, 308 is ok, and most people on this board will recommend it(as they're the majority here)

My reasoning for 30-06
    1: 30-06 isn't much more expensive for factory ammo.
    2: if you hand load, you can make them close to a 300 win mag or softer than a 308.
    3: you will shoot a bit flatter, put down more energy, etc
    4: No NATO "stigma" to get made fun of for

Top Bottom