• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    ^^^^^^^^ what he says!^^^^^ as long as i didn't build it with the intention of selling it i can make my own receivers then if something comes up that i need to sell it i can. here are some milled yugo receivers i made.
    PICT49532_zps9c97f925.jpg

PICT4982_zps9897eacf.jpg

Last edited:

XWARPATHX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    NWI
    So anyways all opinions out in the open now. Where and who to buy 80% lowers from? Saw a guy on ARMS list selling some for pretty cheap. Know of anyone else reliable selling them?
    My father is a machinist and an gun owner. would like to maybe mill some out for myself and him. Think it would be a great project and a cool learning experience since I dont know jack about his machines!

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I just got some in for myself, hard coat anodized for $65 each, I would post pictures but no matter what I do it says it's too large and exceeds my quota by 150.0 kb or more

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is a place called Fort Wayne Anodizing that has a minimum charge of $100. They could do at least two for that price.

Edit: not sure why I posted this. I thought someone had asked about getting them anodized. Oh, well.

30Cal, if you got an anodized lower for $65, that is a pretty good price. Especially if you consider I was quoted $50 each just to anodize mine.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Incorrect. A 80% receiver is NOT a firearm and not even a receiver(finished). You are taking a 80% receiver (hunk of metal) and completing it in to a "firearm"(AR15 lower receiver completed is the receiver/frame that has to be transferred) which is perfectly legal to do....for yourself but not legal to sell. In your "FFL Dealer" example the handgun ALREADY had its excise tax paid for by the manufacturer and was ALREADY a firearm when purchased by the FFL from the manufacturer/distributor.

Dont believe me....call the ATF so they can tell you what I just told ya. ;)

This guy knows what he's talking about.:yesway:

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I got one from TR Enabling and machined it on my Taig bench top mill.
    it was fun and came out very nice.
    i also tried a composite 80% lower, the plastic fixture that came with it was crap

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    Regardless of what is known or not, look at the raids conducted over the weekend by the ATF out in California in regardless to Ares Armor and their 80% lowers. Seized customer records for over 5K sales of what was originally determined to not be a firearm. Now they want to say they are a firearm, it's a slippery slope with the current powers to be. I for one do not want to be in possession of something the ATF determines to be an unregistered firearm, they might accidentally recover the rest of my collection that was lost in a boating accident...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Regardless of what is known or not, look at the raids conducted over the weekend by the ATF out in California in regardless to Ares Armor and their 80% lowers. Seized customer records for over 5K sales of what was originally determined to not be a firearm. Now they want to say they are a firearm, it's a slippery slope with the current powers to be. I for one do not want to be in possession of something the ATF determines to be an unregistered firearm, they might accidentally recover the rest of my collection that was lost in a boating accident...

Just buy a block of material... If you were interested in the challenge of a an 80% lower, perhaps you'll find the challenge of a 0% lower to be greater? :)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

Or look at what happened at Ruby Ridge...Or Waco...or any number of ATF actions. They always have a good story for the media..."dozens of weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition and high capacity magazines."

Remember, the government gets to tell the story.

Top Bottom