• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I am taking a defensive handgun course in a few weeks and need an OWB holster for it. I need opinions on which is better and why, a paddle style holster for a belt loop style holster.
    1614031267675.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've had both & I assume it would be just the ease of getting the holster on & off the belt with the paddle holster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Also a little extra info. This holster is just for the class and any other classes I may take in the future. When I'm out and about I carry IWB. Also I Will be drawing from the 3:00 position and I do have love handles so I need something that's comfortable for that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As with most things, everything is a trade off. I personally like the belt loop style because it keeps the gun tighter to the body, but you have to take your belt at least halfway off to take the holster off. Paddle holsters are awesome when you're going into no carry zones and you have to disarm throughout the day, but they tend to stick out farther, meaning you will print more if you do wear it for EDC.

With that in mind, I would generally not recommend a paddle holster with the paddle style seen in the pic you posted in the first post. I have one with a clip like that and I pretty much hate it. It has the upturned belt hooks on both sides of the paddle which makes it hard to take off, defeating the entire purpose of a paddle holster. It has since been assigned duty for use on a battle belt because it can live there full time and I don't need to remove it very often.

I love the Safariland paddle style. It has a single belt hook right in the middle, making it easy to rock the holster enough to easily disengage the belt. It also give more options for positioning it on your belt line depending on how many belt loops you have and where they are positioned. Not all pants allow you to carry in the exact same spot. The Safariland also has active retention, which for me is a must for open carry, which I do from time to time.

I would not dismiss using an IWB for the class if that's the way you normally carry. You really should train with the gear you use every day. It doesn't make sense to train with an OWB holster if you won't be wearing it the day you find yourself in a gun fight (God forbid). If a defensive pistol instructor won't allow you to train with your IWB, I would seriously consider whether that's a class you want to take.

I would also say you might find that you like an OWB much better after trying it out. I almost exclusively use OWB holsters these days, and the belt loop style keeps the gun very tight to my body, as mentioned above, while keeping the grip much easier to access.

Of course, all of this assumes you're just carrying a gun with standard sights. It gets even more complicated when you start adding weapon lights and red dots. I've purchased four holsters for the same gun in the past year because I added a light, and now a red dot.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Indianapolis
    As with most things, everything is a trade off. I personally like the belt loop style because it keeps the gun tighter to the body, but you have to take your belt at least halfway off to take the holster off. Paddle holsters are awesome when you're going into no carry zones and you have to disarm throughout the day, but they tend to stick out farther, meaning you will print more if you do wear it for EDC.

With that in mind, I would generally not recommend a paddle holster with the paddle style seen in the pic you posted in the first post. I have one with a clip like that and I pretty much hate it. It has the upturned belt hooks on both sides of the paddle which makes it hard to take off, defeating the entire purpose of a paddle holster. It has since been assigned duty for use on a battle belt because it can live there full time and I don't need to remove it very often.

I love the Safariland paddle style. It has a single belt hook right in the middle, making it easy to rock the holster enough to easily disengage the belt. It also give more options for positioning it on your belt line depending on how many belt loops you have and where they are positioned. Not all pants allow you to carry in the exact same spot. The Safariland also has active retention, which for me is a must for open carry, which I do from time to time.

I would not dismiss using an IWB for the class if that's the way you normally carry. You really should train with the gear you use every day. It doesn't make sense to train with an OWB holster if you won't be wearing it the day you find yourself in a gun fight (God forbid). If a defensive pistol instructor won't allow you to train with your IWB, I would seriously consider whether that's a class you want to take.

I would also say you might find that you like an OWB much better after trying it out. I almost exclusively use OWB holsters these days, and the belt loop style keeps the gun very tight to my body, as mentioned above, while keeping the grip much easier to access.

Of course, all of this assumes you're just carrying a gun with standard sights. It gets even more complicated when you start adding weapon lights and red dots. I've purchased four holsters for the same gun in the past year because I added a light, and now a red dot.
    I would prefer IWB since that is how I carry but they specifically said for level 1 class OWB. I think level 2 is whatever holster you want.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not a big fan of paddles. For my body shape, it tilts the holster away from my body at the barrel end. With belt loops, it's pretty much a straight drop.

I have Bravo OWB's that work well for concealment and classes. However, recently I purchased a BladeTech OWB with a Tech-Lok belt clip that you can unhinge which allows you to use it like a paddle. No belt removal necessary. I bought it in the event I start shooting competitions. It rides a touch lower than my Bravos and is a straight drop vs a canted drop. Should be good for 0.002 seconds making it possible for me to finish a Steel Challenge string before timing out. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a big fan of paddles. For my body shape, it tilts the holster away from my body at the barrel end. With belt loops, it's pretty much a straight drop.

I have Bravo OWB's that work well for concealment and classes. However, recently I purchased a BladeTech OWB with a Tech-Lok belt clip that you can unhinge which allows you to use it like a paddle. No belt removal necessary. I bought it in the event I start shooting competitions. It rides a touch lower than my Bravos and is a straight drop vs a canted drop. Should be good for 0.002 seconds making it possible for me to finish a Steel Challenge string before timing out. ;)
    I looked at blade tech, unfortunately they don't make a holster for my handgun a CZ p10c

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For a P10C and just for class you could pick up something like this:

First holster

or this:

Second holster

Both are inexpensive and work just fine. The bottom one is the holster I used for daily carry for about 2 years. The only problem I had was that my P10C was the older version with a mag release button on both sides and I had to use a dremel to notch out a spot for the mag release button on the back side. If you have the newer version of the gun with the mag release only on one side, it's no problem.

I like this style (pancake style) as they keep the gun close to the body. I find the belt loop style more comfortable than the paddle style. Good luck.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can usually add easy-on / easy-off solutions to an OWB. I personally use OWB pull-the-dot loops on no fewer than 3 OWB holsters. They make donning and doffing QUITE easy. They're also SECURE.

You can also look in to something like this: https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/mountings-belt-clips-speedease-c-547_779.html which may assist in donning and doffing. I've never used something like that, but I admit that I've given it good thought. I'm just not convinced they're secure enough. BUT - for a training class like you've mentioned, they may very well work just fine since it's not a CQB course.

I don't think the P10c is on the list, but the Blackhawk Omnivore holster may be an option for others who see this and may be in the same boat.

Safariland also makes a few different styles of OWB holster that you can look at. Their website has a "finder" feature that you can input your gun make/model and you can see ALL the holsters they make that'll fit it. Pretty nice.

Whatever you do, I'd do my absolute best to stay away from paddle holsters. They just don't stay secure well enough on a body - especially the cheap ones. Ask your instructors how many times people have drawn the whole holster out along with the gun...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You can usually add easy-on / easy-off solutions to an OWB. I personally use OWB pull-the-dot loops on no fewer than 3 OWB holsters. They make donning and doffing QUITE easy. They're also SECURE.

You can also look in to something like this: https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/mountings-belt-clips-speedease-c-547_779.html which may assist in donning and doffing. I've never used something like that, but I admit that I've given it good thought. I'm just not convinced they're secure enough.
    Those holster clips look interesting. I'd like to hear from those that have used them. If they would work well on my Bravo, I'd be able to don and doff it easier.

Are the "pull the dot loops" those flexible snap type loops? I would consider those if it will still hold the holster tight to my side.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are the "pull the dot loops" those flexible snap type loops? I would consider those if it will still hold the holster tight to my side.
    Yep. There are different lengths. You can sometimes even mount the snaps to give you a smaller or larger loop so it'll hold tighter.

FYI, I'm almost positive that RCS owns the shop DIY holster business, too.

Top Bottom