• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    don't reload and only want to shoot to 200 yds .... 223 all day long.
    (the money alone should win this argument)

I don't know why some people bag on the 223. It's a great caliber.
    I have A LOT of friends that stated on larger calibers (none of them reload) and realized that paying $1/rd sucks if you shoot more than twice a year. They have ALL added a 223 to their collection - some ARs, some bolt guns.

Good luck on your decision

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    **not trying to bog the thread down with specific gun info, as you mentioned you didn't want that debate here**

I will point out that Savage makes a helluva rifle for the money! THe Hog Hunter that you're looking at is great. My only complaint is that it has a blind (captured/internal) magazine. Mechanically there are pros and cons to this, but I prefer a removable, box-type mag.

This was the only design element of the Hog Hunter that I didn't like, and that is just a personal preference.
    Keep us posted and show us some pics!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I was gonna say .223 unless you're hunting, but it's pretty much been covered. Even at 300-400 yards the .223 should hold it's own against larger calibers for paper-punching.

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    I recently won a Mossberg MVP in 223, the 18" medium bull barrel one. I was a little disappointed a fit/finish, but it is a Mossberg after all. I tried 5 different kinds of ammo i had on hand, it did OK with some American Eagle and Winchester white box, but with Hornady Z-max 55gr that gun is sub-moa. It impressed me in accuracy.
    I wonder how some of the offerings from Ruger i.e. American or Savage compare.
    Anyway 223, probably 10x (don't quote me on it) ammo offerings if your not reloading.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hey, if you're target shooting only, may as well move on up to a .220 Swift.
    You can really hit those targets hard then!
    :ar15:
    j/k, but it would definitely get the attention of everyone else at the range each time you pull the trigger and unleash that thunderclap machine.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Have you given any thought to .17 WSM? Perfect for that range, no recoil, B Mag is priced well and you do not have to worry about reloading. A box of 50 runs around $15-17

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    don't reload and only want to shoot to 200 yds .... 223 all day long.
    (the money alone should win this argument)

I don't know why some people bag on the 223. It's a great caliber.
    I have A LOT of friends that stated on larger calibers (none of them reload) and realized that paying $1/rd sucks if you shoot more than twice a year. They have ALL added a 223 to their collection - some ARs, some bolt guns.

Good luck on your decision

I agree totally, I cant tell you how many times Ive seen the same thing. The 223 with a proper loading for what your wanting it to do, will do a lot more than people give it credit for.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    **not trying to bog the thread down with specific gun info, as you mentioned you didn't want that debate here**

I will point out that Savage makes a helluva rifle for the money! THe Hog Hunter that you're looking at is great. My only complaint is that it has a blind (captured/internal) magazine. Mechanically there are pros and cons to this, but I prefer a removable, box-type mag.

This was the only design element of the Hog Hunter that I didn't like, and that is just a personal preference.
    Keep us posted and show us some pics!
    Yeah I prefer removable as well, but until all manufacturers get smart and realize everyone has AR mags, and it would be great if they made their bolt guns accept them, its a blind mag for me.
    Oh come on, make it interesting. .22lr :rockwoot:
    I tried that. My fvsr is pretty damned accurate, but with cheap ammo, at 200yds, I was only keeping 8 out of 10 on a full torso target. It was interesting holding 8ft high though.
    Correct. Crosley is paper targets only.
    Thanks. I couldn't find that on the website. I figured.
    Have you given any thought to .17 WSM? Perfect for that range, no recoil, B Mag is priced well and you do not have to worry about reloading. A box of 50 runs around $15-17
    I did. But I have a pile of 223 and 556, and a bucket of brass for when I do start reloading. I don't even know if the hog hunter is 556 rated. Prob not. Ima check that out. Don't know why I never thought of that.

Top Bottom