Opinions on revolvers I'm interested in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    I'm interested in a couple wheel guns. I have two local that I am interested in. I'm interested in a S&W 642 and a Ruger SP101. I want a snubby. These are around my price range. I am tore between these two. The Ruger is a little out of my price range, at $550. That seems like a fair price though. The S&W is the one I prefer, but at $490. That price is above the MSRP. What would you folks probably do? Should I pay the thirty extra for the smith, or get the ruger? Thanks for looking.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I will ask before many other do, WHAT do you want to use it for.

The Smith is smaller lighter and in my opinion a bit tougher to shoot accurately. It is well suited as a true BUG and legendary in this roll.

The 101 is heavier, capable of .357, and I would view it as a great woods/outdoor back up or even primary. I personally find the Ruger a bit easier to hit with.

Both are quality pistols and would serve you well depnding on the roll.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    My pou is bug, as well as light primary during the summer. The winter primary is my G22. I just feel uncomfortable paying thirty over msrp for the smith.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You should get the revolver you like best.

I would want something with a hammer so I can roll check without relying on the trigger alone.

I like the M638 but have always been a Smith fan (I have Rugers as well).

Remember, in the gun culture, the subjective is objective.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    For the $60 difference, get whichever one you like better. The small difference in price will be quickly forgotten. It does seem like you can find a better price on the S&W, however.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    For the $60 difference, get whichever one you like better. The small difference in price will be quickly forgotten. It does seem like you can find a better price on the S&W, however.

Indeed. I was at Zx Gun in Fort Wayne on Saturday and they had two 642's on display, one with internal lock and one without, for $399 for either.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I've never paid sticker price. Negotiate with the LGS....I've never met one that wouldn't give you an out the door price which is lower than their displayed price.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    S&W to carry+Ruger to Shoot..

I've never paid sticker price. Negotiate with the LGS....I've never met one that wouldn't give you an out the door price which is lower than their displayed price.

^^^+1

I have 3 S&W 'J' frames (all in .38Spl.), and 1 SP-101 (in .357Mag.), and here's the thing:

Are you buying to carry, or buying to shoot?

The Smiths have more "Finesse", the Ruger has more "Beef". The Smiths pack in better, the Ruger will handle hotter loads with ease. This comes at a price-the Ruger has more bulk+weight.

You need to buy for your particular use, and the one that fits you the best..Bill.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Why not opt for the Ruger LCR .357? It's lighter than both (I believe) and can handle the .357 if you're wanting some punishment.
    I have the LCR and love it, but I also have a 4.2" SP101 and love that too.
    Fwiw- LCR is my primary carry.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the willingness of the community to share your knowledge. I may go with the ruger. I have been leaning toward it. I just wanted to see what ya'll felt. I didn't feel right about the smith, even though it's really nice. In regards to shopping around, I have been looking in a 40 mile radius. Either nothing, or extremely overpriced. I've not seen any LCR's recently, under 500 or so.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    SW

The price on the SW is absurd. They go for $429 where I live, and that is an
    absurd price. If you don't absolutely need a gun now, wait. They are starting to come down slowly.
    I don't know about the Ruger, but I am sure it is over priced like everything else.
    I for one, am tired of getting sc*****.
    Just my opinion.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have Ruger and S&W revolvers. I love them both. I carry a 640 as a bug for my 1911. I don't think I would let 30 dollars make the choice between guns. Get what you want!

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Anyone know if BGF has any LCR in 357, and if so how much? Was up there two weeks ago, and they had one or two. Hate to drive that far for nothing. $4 gas and all. Was just at bradis, and they are wiped out. So are most other central/southern stores. Just wondering.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Anyone know if BGF has any LCR in 357, and if so how much? Was up there two weeks ago, and they had one or two. Hate to drive that far for nothing. $4 gas and all. Was just at bradis, and they are wiped out. So are most other central/southern stores. Just wondering.

They had one last week. I was considering it myself, but still want to shoot one before I make my decision.

Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

Gander Mountain in Hassleton had an LCR 357 on Sunday. Don't recall the price but I can't imagine it was cheap.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Someone else mentioned not letting 30 bucks make your decision. I wouldn't either. If it is one I want I'd pick it up.

Now with that out of the way, the price on the 642 is way too high. Midwest at times has them for $329. I bought two of them a couple of years ago when they were on sale. That's the time to pick one of those up. The Ruger is a great gun. Love mine. Both are good to go, just pick whichever you like best, you'll probably end up with both anyway!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Unless that was you an hour or so ago at BGF, you missed out on the LCR 357. It sold as I was walking in.

Top Bottom