• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 421Jms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Bloomington
    I’m looking to buy a ruger mpr 556 as my first ar. I do have prior experience shooting (probably doesn’t matter but figured I’d toss that out there lol). What are the general opinions on the overall quality of the gun? What pieces would you reccomend be upgraded first?
    TIA

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    if it's the 18" version, the only updates needed are optics. already has good trigger, grip, stock, handguard. I bought mine when they were introduced. good rifle.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I’m looking to buy a ruger mpr 556 as my first ar. I do have prior experience shooting (probably doesn’t matter but figured I’d toss that out there lol). What are the general opinions on the overall quality of the gun? What pieces would you reccomend be upgraded first?
    TIA
    1. It's a Ruger so there is that. Inherent Fuddiness does not favor QC but Ruger makes box cars of AR-15s a day.

2. Replace what you touch the most, sling, grip, CH, trigger, triggerguard, stock. BUT FIRST shoot out and see how it shakes out, assuming you go that way. All guns are triggers and sights so make those GTG for you.

Here is Hop, Hope hates everything, Hop kinda likes it:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have had a 16” 556 MPR for a couple of years and have a little over 1500 rounds through it. It has run flawlessly but I have not run any steel cased ammo. It is my first and only AR15 and I have it set up for home defense (4 MOA RDS, WML, BUIS and a sling). I can hit a 3x5” index card standing offhand at 50 yds easily with this setup and have hit 8” steel at 250 yds with a front rest.

I really like the trigger compared to some other ARs I have shot with stock triggers. I did not like the stock hand grip and charging handle so I changed both. Bought it at my LGS (they ordered it for me and IIRC it was $800 + tax OTD). I did a lot of research and compared it with several other offerings in that price range when I bought it and felt it was a good value. For my needs I can’t think of why I would need to spend more $$.

YMMV

Top Bottom