• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have shot a friends Taurus 1911 and I was surprised with the trigger. Remington needs to take some advice from Taurus in reference to the trigger. I don't know if the Taurus is a Series 70 or 80 but I know the R1 is an 80 and the Ruger is a 70. All of the Rock Island and Citadels I own are a series 70 and seem to have a better trigger than the R1.

A few less pieces causing resistance to get the sear to release the hammer.
    I have "Had" a few 80 series but no more.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The first 1911 I ever owned was a Llama high capacity .45. (Max II) The only thing I did to it was hone the feed ramp. It was otherwise flawless. Of course the finish was not like a Springfield or Kimber, but back then I didn't know the difference. For $300 it may not be a bad deal. Just don't let your life depend on it until you have thoroughly checked it out. Mine had feed problems out of the box. Easy fix. Want it? Get it! Who cares what we think! If that's your budget and you want to try it, I say go for it! They are selling in the price range so you should be able to get rid of it if you want to.

I competed with a Taurus for a while and really liked it. Good reliable gun... but with Taurus you never know how it's going to work out of the box. First time i took my 1911 out the thumb safety fell off and the hammer would follow the slide forward. Sent it back and it worked flawlessly from that point on. Had a .44 mag revolver with timing issues right out of the box also. (NOT GOOD!) Again, they fixed it and it ran flawlessly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have shot a friends Taurus 1911 and I was surprised with the trigger. Remington needs to take some advice from Taurus in reference to the trigger. I don't know if the Taurus is a Series 70 or 80 but I know the R1 is an 80 and the Ruger is a 70. All of the Rock Island and Citadels I own are a series 70 and seem to have a better trigger than the R1.

I was simply ecstatic with the trigger on my Taurus 1911. The only other 1911 experience I'd had was shooting one in boot camp.
    Very little trigger time and zero familiarization with it.

I bought my Taurus on a sale special last year when they changed the slide removing the "Banner Ad" logo on the slide.
    Older models were being sold at a discount to make room for the plain side slides.
    I gave $399 for mine, new in the box, with cleaning brush and 2 mags.
    I also got lucky in that my friendly neighborhood FFL felt he owed me a favor so there was no transfer fee!
    $399 OTD for my brand new 1911.
    I was/am tickled pink with my purchase.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Wow! I knew I was opening Pandora's Box, but what a great response. Thank you for the advice. I have been in love with the 1911 aesthetics forever, and recently got to shoot a buddy's at the range so I have a fever. A little saving is in my future :)

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I found the Taurus PT1911 at RK for $459. It also came with the hard case, brush, barrel wrench, but only 1 mag. I've got somewhere around 1000 flawless rounds through it. It's all stock except for some grips. It's limited to range duty only so I've never tried hollow points through it.

amartin31124

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I had a Llama when I first got into shooting. I did not own it long and lost money on it. It was not very reliable or smooth.

I would save up a bit and get a better 1911.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    rbane3,
    My two cents...
    I tried the stainless Taurus while wandering the south coast.
    It didn't feed one cartridge when a beginning development load was too low powered. Otherwise it just chewed it all and spit them out.
    If you find one used and pay half as normal used gun prices go, go for it.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    rbane3,
    My two cents...
    I tried the stainless Taurus while wandering the south coast.
    It didn't feed one cartridge when a beginning development load was too low powered. Otherwise it just chewed it all and spit them out.
    If you find one used and pay half as normal used gun prices go, go for it.

Thank you, NKBJ. And thank you all for your responses. Your overwhelmingly negative reviews of the Llama saved me a few hundred dollars and most likely some heartache. I'll keep saving and keep looking. The Taurus is definitely an attainable price point. I'll look more into that. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One of only 2 "1911's" I ever owned was a Lama. It should have been named Lemon.

This was over 25 years ago, but I will never, ever buy another Lama again, and it completely soured me on 1911's as well.

The safety spring plunger housing on the side of the gun was plastic. It cracked and fell off during the first shooting session. The gun jammed and never made it through a full mag. At the time the shop I bought it from in FL offered a lifetime warranty. I had it in several times and their smith fixed the spring plunger housing, but never could get it to run even with FMJ.

The edges were so sharp that I cut my hand clear across the palm field stripping it. The only way that gun was going to defend my life is if I field stripped it and used it as an edged weapon against an attacker. I sold it at a pawn shop because there was no way I was going to sell that thing to someone I knew or any individual.

It was, and still is at the top of my list of the worst guns I have ever owned.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of only 2 "1911's" I ever owned was a Lama. It should have been named Lemon.

This was over 25 years ago, but I will never, ever buy another Lama again, and it completely soured me on 1911's as well.

The safety spring plunger housing on the side of the gun was plastic. It cracked and fell off during the first shooting session. The gun jammed and never made it through a full mag. At the time the shop I bought it from in FL offered a lifetime warranty. I had it in several times and their smith fixed the spring plunger housing, but never could get it to run even with FMJ.

The edges were so sharp that I cut my hand clear across the palm field stripping it. The only way that gun was going to defend my life is if I field stripped it and used it as an edged weapon against an attacker. I sold it at a pawn shop because there was no way I was going to sell that thing to someone I knew or any individual.

It was, and still is at the top of my list of the worst guns I have ever owned.

Seriously......do not let that turd gun sour you on the sweetness that can be 1911 ownership.......:)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I am not pro Llama. But I would like to point out that of all the negative stuff posted, ONLY 3 of the posters stated the actually OWNED one. I loved mine. The other two posters, not so much. :twocents:

I forgot I traded for a compact Taurus 1911 years ago as well and every ejected casing came straight back and popped me in the forehead, lol! Sent it back and got it fixed as well. If you buy a used Taurus you still get the warranty... FOR LIFE!

I can't tell you what the magic number is, but at some point you do start getting what you pay for OUT OF THE BOX! It's really worth it if you can save your money and go that route. (Springfield, Remington, Kimber, Star, Sig, Colt are about the right price point.) But not everyone can and EVERYONE deserves the right to self defense.

I don't like High Point for many of the same reasons. But if it's all a person can truly afford... it's better than nothing. I think that's where Llama fits in. It's better than nothing.

I was just kidding about Star. They suck. Just trying to see who nearly fell over dead and replied before they read my whole post, lol!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    No. Just don't. Save your pennies and get something from a reputable manufacturer.

This is one of those situations when the old adage 'You get what you pay for!' applies....ante` up and get a quality 1911...YOU will be glad you did...regardless of the SO's opinion.

Besides...keep in mind it's an 'investment'...not a purchase!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not pro Llama. But I would like to point out that of all the negative stuff posted, ONLY 3 of the posters stated the actually OWNED one. I loved mine. The other two posters, not so much. :twocents:

I forgot I traded for a compact Taurus 1911 years ago as well and every ejected casing came straight back and popped me in the forehead, lol! Sent it back and got it fixed as well. If you buy a used Taurus you still get the warranty... FOR LIFE!

I can't tell you what the magic number is, but at some point you do start getting what you pay for OUT OF THE BOX! It's really worth it if you can save your money and go that route. (Springfield, Remington, Kimber, Star, Sig, Colt are about the right price point.) But not everyone can and EVERYONE deserves the right to self defense.

I don't like High Point for many of the same reasons. But if it's all a person can truly afford... it's better than nothing. I think that's where Llama fits in. It's better than nothing.

I was just kidding about Star. They suck. Just trying to see who nearly fell over dead and replied before they read my whole post, lol!

No I never owned one. Did not have to subject myself to the brand as more than a few cheap friends bought them and had horrible luck.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

I like Star pistols a lot and own and shoot several of them. One of my favorites is the Star PD. It has been very reliable and is also very accurate. It's only short coming is capacity which for what it's worth, I have no problem with. I actually took the late Jeff Cooper's advice and bought two of the PD's. One to carry and the other to practice with. How many Star pistols have you actually owned? Sorry....didn't mean to thread jack.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I like Star pistols a lot and own and shoot several of them. One of my favorites is the Star PD. It has been very reliable and is also very accurate. It's only short coming is capacity which for what it's worth, I have no problem with. I actually took the late Jeff Cooper's advice and bought two of the PD's. One to carry and the other to practice with. How many Star pistols have you actually owned? Sorry....didn't mean to thread jack.

One too many! And a few when I had the gun shop open.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ... But if it's all a person can truly afford... it's better than nothing. I think that's where Llama fits in. It's better than nothing.

I'd have been better off with nothing. I'd have been better off not having a gun and being robbed of the $ I spent on it. Seriously, it would have saved me some frustration.

It's like taking a Fat Girl a ride on your Scooter, its fun till your friends see you............

Now fat girls, I like fat girls... just not Lamas or scooters.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another point you may consider is that you would most likely not be able to sell the Llama without losing a high percentage of your investment. If you look around for a while and keep saving it should be pretty easy to find a nice used 1911 in the 600-1000 price range. If you decide later to try something else or a different flavor of 1911 it will be much easier to find people willing to trade or sell that "quality" piece to. You probably won't lose much on your investment at all (assuming you take care of it). My wife used to protest my purchases as well until she saw that it wasn't like her buying new shoes or me trading in last year's copy of Madden in for 1$ towards the new one. Quality pieces hold their value and some increase in value.

dccrpet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Don't know what your budget may be. Dan wesson makes a great gun around 900 bucks. Sti & S&w will run a bit more. My 1st 1911 was a S&W and have not looked back. I gave 1200 for a new S&W performance center bobtail. My wife loves that gun, come to think of it I have not shot it in years, as she tends to use it most times we go to the range.

Top Bottom