• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    I've got a .357 snubby but load it with .38 spl. Although it's nice to know that I can power up I don't think there's a significant difference between the two cartridges with a two inch barrel. The bullet is out of the barrel before all the gunpowder is burned. All you get is a brighter flash and a louder bang. Of course, that's not the case with longer barrels.

As a home defense round in close quarters, in my opinion a .38 spl is adequate. There's less chance of wall overpenetration and neighbors getting hit by stray bullets.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Actually, at this point I'm not too concerned about carrying it. I'll most likely keep it at home or in my vehicle. I would probably not be too comfortable carrying it much. Maybe just for certain situations...

If you don't plan on carrying it you might consider getting a model with a 4 inch barrel and a bigger grip. The snubbie is great for carrying (light, concealable), but a gun that is a little bigger and heavier will be much more enjoyable to shoot. That's my thought, anyway. On the other hand, you may decide after having it for a while that you would like to carry it more than you thought. In that case, you'd be happy you had the snubbie (though a 4" can be concealed, too).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    4" can be concealed EASILY, far easier than I think folks really think. I have carried my Smith 19 4" NO TROUBLE. The only problem is when you are in the summer, still, a longer overshirt takes care of that.

Ideally, a full size, medium framed revolver with a 2" barrel is awesome. I think Taurus and Rossi makes em.

Rossi is okay. While they are good guns (they really are), they have a higher rate of failure from what I have seen compared to Smiths and Rugers. If it doesn't break in the first box of ammo (factory defect), then it should be good to go (from what I have seen online and at the range). Face it: the days of the 200 dollar K frame Smiths are gone. Rossis are alright. The several I have shot are reasonably good, triggers can always be cleaned up, the fit and finish are lacking and it goes on. They all felt VERY loose after a box (guys show up to Eagle Creek with brand new ones, they feel like they are 1000s of rounds old after a few boxes). Taurus in my mind is a bit better, at least as far as steel revolvers go. I am not a fan of "Airweights" or "Ultralites".

Actually, I have a better deal for you:

Revolver

Halfway down, extends to the bottom. Used, police trade in Smith 64s. Stainless, DAO, 4" Smiths for under 300 bucks with FFL and shipping. A MUCH better deal. I know, I know, no .357s! Realistically, I would not want to touch off a .357 in my home. Not an overpenetration thing, more of a not hearing anything for the rest of my life. I have always been a proponent of a good, 158gr LHP "Metro" load for carry and home defense. If that won't do it, .357 wont either...

Oh, and .357 being more accurate? what? Naw. Functionality, mechanically, about the same. Ergonomics (muzzle blast causing flinching and similar "human" conditions), .38 will always win out.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    Please do not buy by price alone. Save your money or even go in debt and get a good ,high quality revolver. Purchase a Smith & Wesson. I like the older ones in very good condition. It will only go up in value! :oldwise:OVERTHEHILLGUY:oldwise:

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I would go to the 1500 and look for a used S&W J frame. They're the standard by which others are measured, basically never where out, and can be had in this range. I'd rather have a used name-brand gun than a new off-brand one, once you shoot either they're used anyway.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    4" can be concealed EASILY, far easier than I think folks really think. I have carried my Smith 19 4" NO TROUBLE. The only problem is when you are in the summer, still, a longer overshirt takes care of that.

Ideally, a full size, medium framed revolver with a 2" barrel is awesome. I think Taurus and Rossi makes em.

Rossi is okay. While they are good guns (they really are), they have a higher rate of failure from what I have seen compared to Smiths and Rugers. If it doesn't break in the first box of ammo (factory defect), then it should be good to go (from what I have seen online and at the range). Face it: the days of the 200 dollar K frame Smiths are gone. Rossis are alright. The several I have shot are reasonably good, triggers can always be cleaned up, the fit and finish are lacking and it goes on. They all felt VERY loose after a box (guys show up to Eagle Creek with brand new ones, they feel like they are 1000s of rounds old after a few boxes). Taurus in my mind is a bit better, at least as far as steel revolvers go. I am not a fan of "Airweights" or "Ultralites".

Actually, I have a better deal for you:

Revolver

Halfway down, extends to the bottom. Used, police trade in Smith 64s. Stainless, DAO, 4" Smiths for under 300 bucks with FFL and shipping. A MUCH better deal. I know, I know, no .357s! Realistically, I would not want to touch off a .357 in my home. Not an overpenetration thing, more of a not hearing anything for the rest of my life. I have always been a proponent of a good, 158gr LHP "Metro" load for carry and home defense. If that won't do it, .357 wont either...

Oh, and .357 being more accurate? what? Naw. Functionality, mechanically, about the same. Ergonomics (muzzle blast causing flinching and similar "human" conditions), .38 will always win out.

Hey!!! I'm trying to keep those a secret until I can buy mine!!

We've had a Rossi 6 shot snub, and it worked fine. Didn't shoot it much, maybe 300 or 400 rounds in a couple years. Taurus makes good revolvers, and one of the ones we've had was my wife's Model 85 ultralight snubbies. Wonderful gun to carry, and worked very well.

That said, Smiths and Rugers are better guns. The only thing is, buying a used gun is a crap shoot. You don't know how they've been treated, if they've been abused, if some cowboy watching too much tv has been flipping the gun to slam the cylinder home etc. Have a used gun checked thoroughly. Thing is, even though we've had a lot of Taurus guns and they've all been good, you know that if you keep buying them, sooner or later you'll get one that needs a trip or two back to the factory. Taurus will make it right, but it's still a PITA.

I do recommend a 4" gun over a snubby, especially for a shooter without a lot of experience. The guns are easier to shoot well, more pleasant to shoot, and not all that much harder to carry, especially for a gun that you say will usually be kept at home or in the car.

I also recommend that you get hands on with some of the guns you are asking about, and find a way to shoot some of them, especially the snubbies. I'm here to tell you, lighting off a .357 Magnum from a lightweight snub can be a pants wetting experience for someone not prepared for it!!!

Edit: Darn it--- just realized this is an old thread LOL. Oh well, maybe it'll be useful for someone else.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You might get lucky and find a Ruger Securiy Six, Service Six, or Speed Six in that price range.

Speed Six with a 2-3/4" barrel would be my choice for carry and a 4" Security Six for the bedroom and range use.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Rossi is owned by Taurus...so keep that in mind when purchasing. The little Taurus 5-shot .357 mag weighs in around 22 oz...so it's good for at home or to carry.

I would suggest that you take the time to look for a good used .357 mag...there's several of them out there. Taurus is making their model 85 (standard 5-shot .38) in 3" now...which will increase both powder burn (speed & power) as well as accuracy.

If the factory grip is not satisfactory...Hogue (getgrip.com) makes several very nice wood or rubber replacement grips as does Badger Custom Grips. Build a gun that is comfortable and you'll be more likely to practice with it, which will improve your performance.

I shoot tons of .38's / .38+P's for practice...and a few .357's to keep the feel of that load as well. I carry a .357 but shoot around 4:1 (.38's to .357's) in practice... they're cheaper and the +P's carry a decent punch.

Don't rule out spending a few $$ more on a good find in a Ruger GP100 3-4" or a SP101 in 2 or 3" either. Also, S&W makes several good .357's...keep an eye out...there are deals to be had.

One thing nice about Rugers...their front sights are 'pinned' on rather than machined on...this will allow you to install a good Meprolight Night Sight, aiding your 'point-n-shoot' capabilities in low light or no light situations.

Good luck...let us know what you find!

Top Bottom