• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Someone I work with is selling an Olympia Arms AR-15 less than a year old with some ammo for aroung $550. I think this is a pretty good deal. Any opinions on the gun?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's probably an "Olympic" Arms.

I'm not personally a fan, but I know some that are.

$550 for an AR, any AR, is a low price.

How would you use it?

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Sorry, yea it is Olympic Arms. Not sure the model, but I figured $550 for any AR is not bad. I will not see pics till tomorrow.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I figured $550 for any AR is not bad.

Maybe, maybe not. As a point of reference, we sell the Olympic "Plinker Plus" rifle for $599.95 brand new. $550 for a used one wouldn't be such a good deal. OTOH, other Olympic models sell for $750 and up; one of those for $550 would be a score.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Probably use it just for shootin' nothing serious.
    $550 is a respectable price if it is in good shape. for paper punching it should work just fine. You might have to work out a couple of bugs, but AR's are pretty easy to mess with.
    I am not a huge fan, but I wouldn't have a problem picking one up for plinking purposes. I almost wish I had something a bit cheaper to plink with, same platform without putting the wear on a $1000-2000 rifle.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Boy, it's going to be near impossible for them to break away from the Olympic is bad image. I hear they've recently been trying hard to build a quality AR but old stereotypes are hard to overcome.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From the way it sounds to me an Olympic Arms AR would satisfy your needs just fine. Just look at it as a canvas to start with. ARs are so interchangeable that you can replace the parts on it as you like and eventually you will have built an AR to your own specs, but just for paper punching I'm sure it would be fine as-is. I would however try to negotiate that $550 price tag with your buddy, tell him you have seen them brand new for $599 so can you get it for $450. That way you can settle at $500 and everybody is happy, ha ha. Good luck!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here we go

:popcorn:

My friend owns an Olympic Arms M4. I carried a Colt in the service. I have also shot Bushmaster's and a Rock River Arms. I could honestly tell no difference. Is Olympic Arms top of the line? I would say no. However, would trust my life with one? Yes I would. My :twocents:

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Maybe, maybe not. As a point of reference, we sell the Olympic "Plinker Plus" rifle for $599.95 brand new. $550 for a used one wouldn't be such a good deal. OTOH, other Olympic models sell for $750 and up; one of those for $550 would be a score.

Thanks, good to know. I have a feeling he is going to show the photos to several people and the gun will go higher.:(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My friend owns an Olympic Arms M4. I carried a Colt in the service. I have also shot Bushmaster's and a Rock River Arms. I could honestly tell no difference. Is Olympic Arms top of the line? I would say no. However, would trust my life with one? Yes I would.
    I have 2 Olympic Arms AR15s, 2 from Alexander Arms, 3 Cavalry Arms, 1 from Charles Daly Defense, a couple SNS Skulls and probably a few more I can't think of off the top of my head. I've also owned Bushmaster, RRA, etc, etc. Most of my guns have been modified over time to one extent or another so none are currently 100% factory. The 2 guns from Olympic Arms probably get shot more often than the others, they are reliable and that is what is required of a gun.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had mine for a two years, and hudreds of rounds. It functions 100%, shoots great, and even looks as good as the day I bought it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

And just how does one tell a "Plinker Plus" from one of the other models?? Is it marked as such?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    And just how does one tell a "Plinker Plus" from one of the other models?? Is it marked as such?

The Plinker Plus has a 16" barrel, fixed A2 buttstock and fixed A1 carry handle upper receiver. IIRC, Olympic marks all their lower receivers with the model number "M.F.R." (for "Multi-Function Rifle") now.

full-pp.jpg

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Get a ruger mini 14....rugged and reliable....not a tack driver but fun to shoot and effective for home protection...3 inch group at 100 yards and 100% reliable....AR's are too expensive for me

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I have an Olympic M4 I got on a trade, and I love it. It's certainly not my most "expensive" gun, but I've never had a single issue with it. It fires every time. I would buy another. $550 may or may not be a good price. Depends on your situation. If you like the feel, go for it.

Olympic had QC issues in the past, (probably not as significant as those experienced by Colt for a number of years...that's right, I said it! No, this isn't a comparison) but I've had a great experience and I've read nothing but positive reviews.

Top Bottom