• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    No, this isn't a comparison) but I've had a great experience and I've read nothing but positive reviews.

The last real problems we had with Oly date back to when they used cast receivers in the Plinkers; we had a couple of them come back literally in pieces, and several others that had some serious slop between upper and lower (as in, 1/16" or more of space on either side of the front lug). Since the debut of the Plinker Plus which uses forged receivers, we have had no issues that couldn't be fixed in-house (most common being improperly staked gas keys, and use of the rifle extractor spring and buffer in carbine systems; phenomena which are also common with Bushmaster, DPMS and others). I still don't understand why they mount their castle nuts backwards, though. :):

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The last real problems we had with Oly date back to when they used cast receivers in the Plinkers; we had a couple of them come back literally in pieces, and several others that had some serious slop between upper and lower (as in, 1/16" or more of space on either side of the front lug). Since the debut of the Plinker Plus which uses forged receivers, we have had no issues that couldn't be fixed in-house (most common being improperly staked gas keys, and use of the rifle extractor spring and buffer in carbine systems; phenomena which are also common with Bushmaster, DPMS and others). I still don't understand why they mount their castle nuts backwards, though. :):

How does one tell the difference between a Plinker and Plinker Plus?

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I ended up with an Olympic plinker (born 2009) from some trading ,changed out the upper to a flat top /M4 .Had to do a little hand fitting ,rear pin won't go through ,to tight .Than a little trigger fluff an buff

>Now the gun out shoots 95% of the colts, bushy's, and dpms rifles I've had or shot .

Don't know about the long haul only shot about 8,000 rnds so far .

Almost forgot ,also added a 6 position collapsable stock and H2 style buffer.

I'll give OLY a :yesway: at this point .

Better add this . 2,000 of the 8,000 rnd's shot in 100% stock configuration

If you can get the gun for under $500 and it's in good shape do it , if not go to Bradis and buy an AR . IMHO !!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    During the AWB I purchased one upper that was compliant, an Oly 16" SS M4 type w/ muzzle break (very loud!!!) A great price and I was building up an AR for my son.

It was a very accurate upper, it did quit running properly after about 500 rnds and would need to be cleaned, usually a few sprays and it was back up and running though.

After the AWB Sunset it was threaded and an A2 FH was installed, looking back I wish that I had kept that upper.......

As far as the old cast receivers, I used DPMS cast back in the late '80s and very early '90s. DPMS has seemed to come out alright afterwards?

I sold these cast receivers during the ban to what became the still banned state of NY..... It brings a smile to ones face knowing they have all of the "evil features" that make the liberals cringe and cry !!!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think Olympic got a bad rep for the original "plinker" model. If I remeber right they originally were not rated for the 5.56 NATO round, only .223. And may got beat up with the NATO round. My brother-in-law had two A4 carbines and I personally shot both. The both performed great and fairly accurate. If your on a budget it's a great entry level AR. Just go buy the new one at Bradis for $599 if he has a plinker for $550. In my opinion $550 for a used plinker is to much considering what you can get a new one for. :ar15:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have an olympic that I've had for a few years. I have shot it quite a bit and like it a lot. It runs very well, has a decent trigger and I don't have malfunctions. I think it is fine for accuracy, (4moa from prone with a sling is good enough for me with a carbine and iron sights).

I have heard people say that OLY's are cheap and unreliable, but mine is better than I am. I'd probably have a hard time turning down one face to face for 550.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I got an M4 from Bradis last summer. They did have to return it to Oly for a problem with the FSB.(canted) I can now shoot dime size, 5 round groups with the factory sights when shooting at 25 yds. (appleseed). As far as I'm concerned, fit and finish are good, its a battle rifle. I personaly took the money I saved and stocked up on ammo... a GI sling, and I'm glad I did. I dont worry so much about what Im shooting, but how well I shoot what I'm shooting. :patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not to high jack the thread. I was quoted $599 for the new S&W M&P15 Sport. They do not have a forward assist or dust cover, but may be another option for you.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The last real problems we had with Oly date back to when they used cast receivers. . .
    Yup. Those gave Olympic Arms a bad reputation. I actually still own one of those, its the lower upon which I built one of my daughter's pink rifles. Darn thing has been 100% reliable since the day I bought it and I got it used. I do believe that people who shattered their cast receivers probably abused them in some way but I certainly don't know that for sure.

The funny thing about the cast receivers in the OLY guns is that they stopped making those several years ago and I still read stories from "experts" on the internet that Olympic Arms makes all their guns out of cast parts and they are crap.

The other funny thing is that the people who actually own and shoot their Olympic Arms rifles tend to rely on them as actual "go-to" guns, and often report them to be tack drivers for accuracy.

Olympic had QC issues in the past, (probably not as significant as those experienced by Colt for a number of years...that's right, I said it! No, this isn't a comparison) but I've had a great experience and I've read nothing but positive reviews.
    Oh how the truth hurts. You are saying that Colt is not perfect!?! Yikes, get ready folks. There is trouble a brewing!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I read a lot of "this one is good, this one is a piece of junk, etc."

To me, to evaluate a rifle, or any firearm really, are:

1. Reliability
    2. Accuracy
    3. Durability

After that, there's lots of subjective stuff, ergonomics, trigger, fit and finish, none of which are worth a damn without the first three.

Gun buyers have long memories, it seems. A bad model, or problems in the beginning that are fixed later, or even a company purchased by new management can't seem to shake the bad rep some companies get early on.

Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    1 of 10 AR's I own, no different than any of the others, I would buy again, and again, and again. Very accurate, and I hesitate to say, more trouble free than some of my other ones.

Friend of mine bought two not long ago at 21st when they were on sale, those have been perfect also.

I like the advise of others though, get it, build it the way you want!

DSC03091.JPG

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I got an M4 from Bradis last summer. They did have to return it to Oly for a problem with the FSB.(canted) I can now shoot dime size, 5 round groups with the factory sights when shooting at 25 yds. (appleseed). As far as I'm concerned, fit and finish are good, its a battle rifle. I personaly took the money I saved and stocked up on ammo... a GI sling, and I'm glad I did. I dont worry so much about what Im shooting, but how well I shoot what I'm shooting. :patriot:

you didn't notice that when you bought it? And neither did Bradis? interesting. and here i thought only the monkeys at Century canted the sights. :laugh:

and just out of curiosity, what makes it a "battle rifle"?

1911_Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Plainfield
    My dad picked up an olympic about 4 years ago and it has worked great from day. they aren't a bad gun at all. and they are a decent price. just my .02.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    you didn't notice that when you bought it? And neither did Bradis? interesting. and here i thought only the monkeys at Century canted the sights. :laugh:

and just out of curiosity, what makes it a "battle rifle"?

I had problems getting the windage to zero without running out of adjustment. (a2 sights) We sent it back and they had fixed the FSB. :dunno: I dont know the dealer sent it in, the gun came back in a couple of weeks shooter happy:rockwoot:
    I think :twocents: ar's, ak's etc are " battle rifles". NOT assault rifles. Their purpose was for battle. Another option would be a "hunting" rifle, a rifle purpose built for hunting. (ie. bolt action, smaller mag capacity, longer barrel. No hidden message, I pitty the fool who tries to take either.....:patriot:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Plinker:
    picture.php

Plinker Plus:
    full-pp.jpg

If it is a Plinker, make sure it says "Plus".

The first picture doesn't show up.

I've got one that looks like the second picture, but it doesn't say "Plinker" or "Plinker Plus" anywhere. The left side of the receiver has "CAL MULTI 2005", and below that "MOD M.F.R." The barrel is marked "SS 5.56" just in front of the FSB.

I got it used. I have no idea what it is. It shoots well, and has been 100% reliable so far.

Any idea what I have?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've got one that looks like the second picture, but it doesn't say "Plinker" or "Plinker Plus" anywhere. The left side of the receiver has "CAL MULTI 2005", and below that "MOD M.F.R." The barrel is marked "SS 5.56" just in front of the FSB.

FWIW - I got on Olympic's web site and looked that their comparisons of cast vs. forged receivers, and I for sure have a forged receiver.

(but I still don't know what model this really is)

Top Bottom