• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    What are you opinions of purchasing a gun from a pawn shop vs an LGS?

Are the sales people at the LGS more knowledge than at the pawn shop or is just a matter of who is working that day?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you know what you are looking for and looking at pawn shops are ok. If thet won't let you inspect it I would leave.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Has always been my experience that it depends on who is working that day in either the LGS or pawn shop. I have seen very knowledgeable people in both and clowns in both. (far less likely in a LGS in my experience though)
    Pawn shops seem to be higher on their price tags generally but they usually work easier on the price because they have less money in their guns. With the internet it is harder to find "steals" in both these days. Too easy to find the going price on a particular gun and other details on them. The Blue Book of Gun Values is pretty much useless these days. Check out Gunbroker if you want a realistic price. Not what people are asking for a gun either. The ones that people are actually bidding on/buying. My two cents.

Faiden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I tend to be hesitant when it comes to pawn shops. That being said, as long as you feel confident in your ability to identify problems with a weapon, you should be good. As for the sales people, they'll probably have some basic information on weapons in the store, but nothing that you couldn't quickly google yourself.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    A local pawn shop here actually just got his SOT and is manufacturing machine guns...He is looking to get an oven to do cerakoting. He hired away a gunsmith from a LGS. The guy knows his stuff. That said, I think that type of gun enthusiasm is a rarity in pawn shops.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    What are you opinions of purchasing a gun from a pawn shop vs an LGS?

Are the sales people at the LGS more knowledge than at the pawn shop or is just a matter of who is working that day?
    I agree with ScouT6A - depends on the shop and the person working. My advice to anyone thinking of purchasing a firearm is to do your own diligent research BEFORE going to either a gun shop or pawn shop. You are obviously on the internet. So if you are interested in a particular firearm or more than one. First establish the price by using Gunbroker - looking at Sold firearm prices. Then it is beneficial to look at reviews of the firearm(s) you are interested in - note any issues reported so you can inspect the firearm you are wanting to see if they have the same problem(s).

Learn to inspect the bore & chamber, bolt wear areas etc. When researching note what "extra" features are available and the cost - some of the guns you are looking at may have some of these and it will increase both the cost and the value. I have been collecting firearms for many (over 40) years, so when I look at any firearm with intent to purchase, I really don't need (or want) any "input" from the sales person. In any business that is selling firearms (or anything else) their main objective is to sell items at a profit. Some MAY give some good advice to a first time purchaser but the thing to remember is Caveat Emptor -Buyer Beware.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I agree. The seller really doesn't matter. They sell it, your job to know who what where when why and how. I have bought from.a gun store and a pawn shop.before. the only.difference is one.has an ability to do repairs and modifications usually. And one just sells guns.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I've found some of my best deals (purchases) on Gunbroker. But, I agree with the consensus. You can find good deals at Pawn or LGS. :twocents:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think you can get a good deal in either, and you can get ripped off in either. I dare say that in both cases the folks there are trying to sell a firearm and make money and it's up to you to know what current market value is, and what to look for so you don't get a lemon.

I've been in a lot more gun stores looking for firearms than I have pawnshops, but the pawnshop I check the most tends to have guns that are overpriced and in ratty condition.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    i have scored some great deals at pawn shops.
    Sales people will not leave you while you are inspecting a firearm. (unlike other items)
    Make an offer, keep looking while other patrons start backing up at the counter,
    Keep stalling while working out an offer,
    Set it down, pick it back up before they do and stall.
    It can be done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I use 1 pawn shop as I know all the folks in there and they call me when something that may interest me comes through. I have scored some nice pieces that way. I have also sent a few folks there and they have been pleased.

Used to have 5 LGS I frequented. After the madness I am down to 3.

Top Bottom