Opinions please - sending your kid abroad... good or bad idea?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    All the references to Taken are about as relevant as Independence Day references are to your 4th of July celebrations.

Yes, kidnapping is a real thing. It's no more likely to happen in Spain or France than in Indiana, though.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    When I graduated from IU, I went on a three month tour of Europe. When I got back, all I could think about was returning. I took two jobs for a year and a half in order to save up for another trip. This second trip was totally on my own, and it was for a full year. I travelled to over 40 different countries, and only felt uncomfortable/in danger a couple of times. I have some of my absolute best memories from that year, and learned a lot about myself, and people in general. If you can swing it for your son, it will/could be the best time of his life - I say go for it. One recommendation- have him carry his passport & money in a fanny pack that he carries IN FRONT of his body ( like where a kangaroo's pouch would be). It is nearly impossible for a pick pocket to get into it in that position. One last thing, DO NOT call it a fanny pack in England or Europe, as a "fanny" is a females private parts.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I certainly have a lot to think about. We're going to sit down and discuss it in more depth this weekend. He's a really good kid or I wouldn't even be considering this as an option. He's not, in any way, a trouble maker or a party-er. However, this trip is almost 2 years down the road, and while I'd love to assume that he will still be a good student with his head on straight at that time... Yeah, of course he will be.

Two years? Well you all have plenty of time to save.

From experience here, my trip to Europe was the best gift (and investment) my parents gave me. There are few better ways to expand your child's mind. Also, my French sucked before I left, but afterwards I was easily able to test out of my college courses.

And I wish I kept a better journal when I was there. 25 years later, I can see there faces in the photos and my mind, but the names of my travel companions elude me. I suppose if we had Facebook back then we'd all be connected...

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I went on a 30 day art and architecture tour with a friends college. I'm glad there was someone else handling all the details. If your kid wants to go and you can afford it, send them!

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    OK, I have the same question. 16yr old son's Spanish teacher is planning a trip to Costa Rica for 10 days. Have to decide by 9-30 to get the $200 price discount. His is with Education First tours. Anyone heard of them? I was thinking about going with them as a chaperon. The trip looks really cool!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Point.
    Both my daughters did the high school Spain trip (Valencia) and both made lasting friends and have visited them in Spain. Nothing gives one more perspective than living in another culture.

Counterpoint.

Don't do it! Nothing but foreigners over there. And they'll get a view of America you might not agree with and prolly come back as Marxists. In the event that something goes very wrong, mom or dad needs a very particular set of skills, skills acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a nightmare for people who would do your kid harm. Skills that will allow you to look for the bad guys, find them, and kill them. Do you possess these skills?

Point:

Agree with many of the others. While as a freshman might be a bit young, but it depends on the kid involved. My wife did a couple of such trips in HS and both of us have spent a couple of years in foreign countries as young adults. Another perspective is a good thing.

Counterpoint:

Jane, you ignorant slut... :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. I'm not sure this is worth its own thread, so I dredged up this one.

First, the link:
    Chloe Ayling: Model in dark-web kidnap case says Instagram saved her - Business Insider

Short form: a model goes abroad for a gig, gets kidnapped and held "for sale" on the "dark web" in some sort of human trafficking version of eBay. Gets let go after the captors realize she has a 1 year old kid. Identifies one of her captors, who is now arrested.

I'm sorry, but my BS detector is lighting up. Anyone else seen this? I mean, if it is real, as a father of daughters, instead of my BS detector, my pissed-off-dad meter is going ballistic.

I have skills, but not THAT particular set of skills.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok. I'm not sure this is worth its own thread, so I dredged up this one.

First, the link:
    Chloe Ayling: Model in dark-web kidnap case says Instagram saved her - Business Insider

Short form: a model goes abroad for a gig, gets kidnapped and held "for sale" on the "dark web" in some sort of human trafficking version of eBay. Gets let go after the captors realize she has a 1 year old kid. Identifies one of her captors, who is now arrested.

I'm sorry, but my BS detector is lighting up. Anyone else seen this? I mean, if it is real, as a father of daughters, instead of my BS detector, my pissed-off-dad meter is going ballistic.

I have skills, but not THAT particular set of skills.

What do you find BS?

And why is "Business Insider" reporting this? Don't they have business stuff to report?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What do you find BS?
    Just the whole thing.

In part, though, no sexual assault? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she wasn't a victim of that. But, this seems too neat and tidy.

And why is "Business Insider" reporting this? Don't they have business stuff to report?
    What? Every business doesn't have employees jet off to fashionable places who get kidnapped, held for ransom, then released?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just the whole thing.

In part, though, no sexual assault? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she wasn't a victim of that. But, this seems too neat and tidy.

What? Every business doesn't have employees jet off to fashionable places who get kidnapped, held for ransom, then released?

Just because there's no report of sexual assault doesn't mean there isn't any. The media may not get the whole story, and even the police might not. I had a woman call about 3 months after she reported a carjacking and stated it was actually a rape/robbery from someone she'd met on social media. She was embarrassed to tell the truth originally, and even though I knew something was missing with her story I never imagined it was that.

That said, this doesn't sound like a well oiled human trafficking machine. More like the "hey guys, watch this" version.

Top Bottom