Opinions Please: What is the best all around rifle if you were to own only one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You'd obviously get higher round count with not so hot loads. It's hard to put a number on it as everyone shoots a different variety of charges. Higher charges will accelerate the process. Just keep in mind both 243 and 308 run about the same charge but bore is smaller in a 243. Factory loads should last 4-5k rounds before accuracy goes south. Some people report as little as 2500. I understand some people may never even put 2000 rounds through a given rifle in their life

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    740 wood master is a great all around rifle accurate dependable and smooth... I like that and my 300 savage

740/742 can be decent, are cool rigs. But most are in .30-06 and if prev owners thought "bigger is better" may have some bolt rail chew.

Good looking, but not supported anymore.

Cold to hot bbl, can have pronounced POI shift (some).

Get a 7600 or a newer auto, 7400/750.

Unless you know of a 740/742 that is a proven shooter and has no bolt rail chew.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You'd obviously get higher round count with not so hot loads. It's hard to put a number on it as everyone shoots a different variety of charges. Higher charges will accelerate the process. Just keep in mind both 243 and 308 run about the same charge but bore is smaller in a 243. Factory loads should last 4-5k rounds before accuracy goes south. Some people report as little as 2500. I understand some people may never even put 2000 rounds through a given rifle in their life

Re-barrel it when the time comes.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    .308 because it's relatively inexpensive, and a good do-it-all round.

Tikka if you have no plans to modify the gun.

Remington 700 if you like to mix-and-match and customize.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    One can use the 5.56 for deer if you own the land. Don't need a license either!

I'm trying to find verification for this - but cannot.

In the PAST, before rifles were legal for general population use, they allowed .243 and up. At least in Indiana. But as of right now, I can't seem to find the equipment that can be used for depredation - if it's at all different from normal firearms hunting season.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not sure why anyone would suggest a new Remy 700 made by Freedom Group when you can have a Tikka T3 standard for $100 less. :dunno:

Another vote for the Tikka! They're guaranteed to shoot sub MOA 3 shot groups, mine will do that with almost any decent ammo, and with its favored loads 1/2 MOA (with the .223 anyway) 5 shot groups are common. I've got 2, one in .223 and another in 6.5x55. Out of the box actions were almost slick as snot, no gritty, grindy feel; triggers are a thing of beauty, about 3 lbs, crisp, with no creep or overtravel, and easily user adjustable! Only downside I've found is spare mags are way expensive.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    for that price range you should look at:
    - T/C Venture - Awesome gun for the $$, has 5R rifling
    - Ruger American/American Predator
    - Rem 700
    - Tikka T3

Top Bottom