• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    What’re your thoughts on this gun? I’ve had one a few years now and carry it as I got a good deal on it and didn’t have much money at the time. I like it okay, but I was thinking about upgrading to something else. But I might want to buy an AR or AK instead, so am I overthinking it and I should suck it up and keep this bulk inside my waistband? Lol

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's a decent pistol. The trigger is pretty lousy but as long as it goes bang EVERY time you pull the trigger, you'll be fine. Honestly, selling it to help pay for an AR or AK may not be the best idea right now. The prices have sky rocketed and you MIGHT be lucky to get $250, maybe $300 (on a really good day to the right person). $300 really won't even buy you a cheap upper right now.

As to carrying it, a real gun belt will make is SO much easier.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    What Bigtanker said...in the short-term, keep it...long-term, and if things calm down prices-wise, then maybe do something different with it???

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The biggest issue with the trigger is that it's so freaking heavy. I believe Apex has a spring kit available which helps with that a bit. The other thing to do is dry fire practice a lot, so that you get used to the heavy trigger pull. It can definitely be done and otherwise the pistol is pretty good. Also, have you tried carrying it OWB? You can conceal just about as easily with OWB as IWB if you dress appropriately and you don't notice the bulk nearly as much with the right holster and belt. I've carried a full size 1911 and P226 OWB so I can easily say carrying your S&W should not be a issue. A nice OWB pancake holster that keeps the gun close to your body, sitting at 2, 3 or 4 o'clock might work out well for you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it is your only handgun then keep it. Save a bit of money and purchase a similar sized M&P, Glock, SigP320 or Walther PPQ. Then keep the SD9. The value priced Smiths are not bad guns and will make a nice second handgun in case something happens to your primary. Truth is our handguns are what we should spend the most time developing skills as those will be the guns most likely to be with us when we need them. Not that having an AK or AR laying around isn’t also a good idea.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    It's not a terrible gun and you don't need to spend money trying to make it something it isn't. Is a "bad trigger" really that bad if you don't have anything to compare it to? I'd rather spend $100 on training with a bad trigger than spend $100 on an upgrade and no training.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The SD is an excellent pistol. It's like having a Glock 19 with a good grip shape, a good finish, a good barrel, and a trigger that's just heavy enough that you likely won't shoot yourself unintentionally.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I understand that training can overcome bad equipment. Or at least subpar equipment. All that's needed is more time. What I'm saying is, if you have better equipment, you can save time. I'm not saying that improving the trigger, or buying a better gun is mandatory, just that it can decrease the training time needed to become proficient. As I said above, lots and lots of dry fire practice and some actual live fire practice will eliminate or at least reduce the issue with the trigger. Doing that will take x amount of time. A better trigger would take y amount of time less. It's easy to understand that you can spend more time adjusting to a poor trigger, or less time adjusting to a better trigger, or spend the same amount of time you would with the poor trigger with a better trigger to be that much more proficient.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I understand that training can overcome bad equipment. Or at least subpar equipment. All that's needed is more time. What I'm saying is, if you have better equipment, you can save time. I'm not saying that improving the trigger, or buying a better gun is mandatory, just that it can decrease the training time needed to become proficient. As I said above, lots and lots of dry fire practice and some actual live fire practice will eliminate or at least reduce the issue with the trigger. Doing that will take x amount of time. A better trigger would take y amount of time less. It's easy to understand that you can spend more time adjusting to a poor trigger, or less time adjusting to a better trigger, or spend the same amount of time you would with the poor trigger with a better trigger to be that much more proficient.

I think all those points are valid and extremely legitimate.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The Smith & Wesson SD series is a solid pistol, especially for what you probably paid for it. (pre-panic) The trigger isn't that bad, not any worse than an average double action revolver. If you can hit consistently with it, there's really no pressing reason to upgrade. If you do want a better trigger and want to stay on the lower end regarding budget, you might look at a Canik. I've seen them fairly reasonably priced at a couple of gun shops recently. You aren't going to get the $249-$300 deal that you probably got on your SD, but still a couple hundred less than a comparable Glock, M&P, Walther, etc.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    If it is your only handgun then keep it. Save a bit of money and purchase a similar sized M&P, Glock, SigP320 or Walther PPQ. Then keep the SD9. The value priced Smiths are not bad guns and will make a nice second handgun in case something happens to your primary. Truth is our handguns are what we should spend the most time developing skills as those will be the guns most likely to be with us when we need them. Not that having an AK or AR laying around isn’t also a good idea.

pretty solid advice. I picked it up for a great price so I think hanging onto it isn’t a bad thing. Never thought of needing a backup

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    The biggest issue with the trigger is that it's so freaking heavy. I believe Apex has a spring kit available which helps with that a bit. The other thing to do is dry fire practice a lot, so that you get used to the heavy trigger pull. It can definitely be done and otherwise the pistol is pretty good. Also, have you tried carrying it OWB? You can conceal just about as easily with OWB as IWB if you dress appropriately and you don't notice the bulk nearly as much with the right holster and belt. I've carried a full size 1911 and P226 OWB so I can easily say carrying your S&W should not be a issue. A nice OWB pancake holster that keeps the gun close to your body, sitting at 2, 3 or 4 o'clock might work out well for you.

I do worry about concealment with OWB because I don’t normally wear something that hangs down much, but I mean it covers it with IWB so it wouldn’t have to do that much more. Any advice on a good holster for a bigger gun like the SD since you’ve had experience with larger guns?

Top Bottom