Opportunity to shoot on electronic targets @ 500 yards - Camp Atterbury KD range

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    There's not a lot of opportunities to shoot past 200 yards in central/southern Indiana, so the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association (ISRPA) is holding a "practice" after the state championship across the course match on Saturday, August 25th. There are still some details to be worked out, but here's what I know so far (I am not ISRPA leadership, but will be attending the match and helping out a bit at this practice event).

-Match will be shot on CMP electronic targets....you don't have to pull targets in/out of the pits, you'll see your impact on a tablet-like screen at the firing line. This isn't a camera looking at the target, it's scored and displayed for you on the tablet. I've not shot on this style of electronic target myself, so I don't have much more information at this point. They work though, and it makes life easy. You young whipper-snappers don't know how good you have it, I tell ya....

-Details are still being worked out on which range the event will be held on, but it will be at either 500 or 600 yards.

-Any caliber up to and including .338 Lapua will be allowed. Not sure if there's a defined "minimum" caliber. .223/5.56 is definitely allowed. If you have a muzzle brake and can shoot without it, removing it will keep fellow shooters on your good side. If you can't, you might get put on the first or last target for other shooters' comfort.

-There will be several experienced shooters there to help "get you on paper" and give you a starting wind call. Try to have a decent known zero (100 yards most likely), and we'll get you going from there.

-Generally speaking, you want to bring quality match-grade ammunition for this event....not that 55 gr FMJ's fall out of the sky at 500 or 600 yards, but you'll enjoy yourself more if you bring high quality ammo loaded with target/match bullets. You can have fun and learn something with bulk 55 gr FMJ's, but you'll probably have more fun with 77 gr matchkings.

-If you aren't a sling shooter, bring some sort of support/rest....sandbag, bipod, ruck sack, etc.

-There will be at least 40 minutes of shooting (2 relays of 20 minutes) for all attending this event....hopefully significantly more if time allows.

-Cost for non-members is $50, members is $30. Membership in ISRPA is $25/year.

This event is designed to be a low-pressure, no stress environment for people to bring their precision bolt action and AR rifles out and stretch their legs a bit more than plunking away at 100 yards. Hopefully it sets the precision shooting hook deep and inspires more people to bring their new toys out of the safe and to a match of some sort in the future. Indiana has some great ranges for mid and long range shooting....there's plenty of people who would enjoy it, but they are afraid of taking that first step, or don't want to get embarassed by posting a low score. That's how I was until I decided to take the leap. This is a chance to bring our your rifle and give it a try without any of the pressure of a "match." Just lots of fun and learning to be had.

Again, I am not in charge of this event, but am helping out a bit with it. If you have general questions, feel free to send me a PM. For all registration info, see below...

Direct link to registration: https://isrpa.wildapricot.org/event-3023957

For more info, email - vp@isrpa.org (THIS IS NOT ME, I'M NOT SURE WHO THIS GOES TO)
    Website - Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association

Attachments

• 600 Yard Side Match 2018.pdf
      286.9 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Done!

Is the registration for only Saturday, or does that include both days?
    Having a hard time finding any information/links about this on the ISRPA website.

Top Bottom