• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, you are correct. Range i shoot goes from 600 to 880 then to 1k. I load the hornady 168 and would have to load pressures somewhat high (and kept cartridge length mag length) to to get them to 880 while staying above transonic. So i just kept it to 600 and used other guns for beyond. I do remember my load would have worked well at 800, if thats where the range had a backstop at.
    So yes you are correct. I just kept at 600 for so long, thats what i thought of it as out of habit.

Hmm, my M1A keeps 168 gr PPU supersonic at ~1180 fps out at 1000 yards. I would think a slightly shorter SCAR would still be supersonic at that distance.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm no expert on shooting out that far and have only used PPU out to ~650 yards. From what I've found on that bullet is the BC isn't all that great. ~.435 iirc. My velocity # above came from my ballistic app Strelok Pro.

I did watch a video by Rex that listed some impressive BC. Take a look at this one:
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDuCr57rtzA[/video]

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I'm no expert on shooting out that far and have only used PPU out to ~650 yards. From what I've found on that bullet is the BC isn't all that great. ~.435 iirc. My velocity # above came from my ballistic app Strelok Pro.

I did watch a video by Rex that listed some impressive BC. Take a look at this one:
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDuCr57rtzA[/video]

Rex's channel is very good. He is extremely knowledgeable and a great sense of humor. His political views i also agree with as i would guess most also do who visit this site.

In the video you listed, he talks of limitations of the 308 can be helped with expensive bullets available today. Normal match grade bullets are expensive enough for me without going to those very expensive high BC variety. My SCAR17 has a short barrel and slower twist that limits the reach of the 308win. I accept that and don't shoot it past those limits. SCAR17 not really meant for great range (+800yds) anyway. Last i knew (read) naval station crane (indiana) was working on a specialized version of the FNSCAR for longer range with the 308win.

SCAR17 happens to shoot well for what it is though. Very reliable in combat conditions, compact, lightweight, able to fold stock. Not bad for close range shooting if need be. And it can shoot well enough, and deliver a 30cal projectile, to ~800 with its slim barrel. With those qualities listed, i tried to keep the optic i attached to it, with low enough power in the NightForce 2.5-10. From the military picts (found in FN forum) i have seen the NF2.5-10 is popular choice that the serious SCAR17 users go with.

Mr2sday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know there are tons of bad reviews on Osprey Optics but the do make a 2.5x10 compact optic for under $300. I have had a 3x9 of theirs for years and it has been a great optic. Most of the reviews I have seen that were negative are guys that cant't fix a simple problem and like to whine and cry about everything.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know there are tons of bad reviews on Osprey Optics but the do make a 2.5x10 compact optic for under $300. I have had a 3x9 of theirs for years and it has been a great optic. Most of the reviews I have seen that were negative are guys that cant't fix a simple problem and like to whine and cry about everything.

So are we part of osprey or a dealer in disguise?

Top Bottom