• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    I am still new to owning my AR. It is a S&W MP-15. It has a fixed front sight and flip up rear sight. I have already made a few changes such as replacing the handguards for a quad rail and the replacing the pistol grip. Now I want to mount either a holographic or red-dot sight. The best way to mount the optic is where I cannot make a decision. I want to look at options that involve removing the front sight and options that don't involve removing the front sight. I am basically looking for some suggestion for experienced AR owners.

Thanks

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The best way to mount the optic is where I cannot make a decision. Thanks

Does the S&W have the picatinny rail on top where the old style carry handle would be ? Most "optics" out there come with a mount ready to attach to the rails .

I wouldn't remove the front site / post because "optics" will fail at some point and you'll want a way to aim the rifle .

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    Lets say magnified but I have not made up my mind. I am still exploring all options. I was thinking if I did remove the front sight that I might add a fold down front sight as a backup.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Generally speaking, if your front sight is on your gas block I would simply leave it in place. In most cases, I have only noticed it through the scope at powers under 2.5x and it was never really a problem then.

The mount will depend some on the scope you choose, but if you want a quick-release mount you might take a look at American Defense. For non-QR, the Burris PEPR mount does a decent job for the money.

If you are going with a dot or EOTech, everything changes. The EOTech mount is built into the unit, and many dots have mounts made specifically for the model.

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    So I think I will go with leaving the front sight on. What do you guys think of the Sightmark holographic sights. I just don't have the money to invest in an Eotech and I am not sure that is the style of optic that I want. I have also been looking at the Vortex Strikefire. There seems to be a lot of support for it here on the forums.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I think I will go with leaving the front sight on. What do you guys think of the Sightmark holographic sights. I just don't have the money to invest in an Eotech and I am not sure that is the style of optic that I want. I have also been looking at the Vortex Strikefire. There seems to be a lot of support for it here on the forums.

I have the original strikefire priced at 119, and the strikefire 2 priced at 179 in stock ready to go.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Strikefire Strikefire2

The strikefire 1 is parallax free past 50 yds The strikefire 2 isparallax free.
    The strikefire 1 has the on button on the side, on the strikefire 2 the up button is the on button.
    The strikefire 1 isNV capable, the strikefire 2 is not NV capable.
    The strikefire 1 has less range in the dot brightness than the strikefire 2.
    The strikefire 1 comes with 2x magnifier, and the strikefire 2 comes with cantilever mount.
    The strikefire 1 is119 dollars, the strikefire 2 is 179 dollars.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    So I think I will go with leaving the front sight on. What do you guys think of the Sightmark holographic sights.

I prefer not to think of them (any more) as they make my head hurt. I tried one a Ruger MKII (no moving slide) and another on a 10/22 (my budget was hurting and they seemed like decent options.) Neither one lasted over 500rds before losing zero and I realized I was almost literally throwing my $$ in the trash.

... I have also been looking at the Vortex Strikefire.

A solid option for the money, particularly with the current price. The only other units I might consider in the price range are the Primary Arms Micro Dot and the Bushnell TRS-25. Of the three, the Vortex is certainly the sturdiest unit and it comes with the Vortex lifetime warranty (vs a 2yr on the Bushnell & a 1yr on the PA, IIRC.)

Top Bottom