• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    So, something I was just asked is where do you want your optic?

I've got an Aimpoint for my AR and I put it as far back as it could go without blocking my flip up iron, but is that right?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's really a matter of personal preference and what works best with your shooting technique.

Farther forward will give you the best field-of-view.

Farther rearward will allow you to hold your dot steadier on target.

I put my old Aimpoint C3 in a LaRue cantilever mount as far forward on the receiver as I could-- same with my current H1.

C3
    xp924x.jpg

H1
    IMG_1336.jpg

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I've been putting mine on the side up near the muzzle then holding my rifle gansta style, seems to be working ok:D

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    i just bought a eotech, i tried mounting it as far back as possible near my mbus, but im sure its designed to be at the edge of the receiver toward the muzzle end, work better for me that way. i guess its just personal preference, seen them used both ways. aimpoints like the micro, i always seen them mounted toward the muzzle end of the receiver, and some even further down on the handguards of ak's & M1A's. i guess it depends on whatever fits your fancy..

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    i just bought a eotech, i tried mounting it as far back as possible near my mbus, but im sure its designed to be at the edge of the receiver toward the muzzle end, work better for me that way. i guess its just personal preference, seen them used both ways. aimpoints like the micro, i always seen them mounted toward the muzzle end of the receiver, and some even further down on the handguards of ak's & M1A's. i guess it depends on whatever fits your fancy..

The Eotechs are (some models) now built with the purpose of placing them on the muzzle end of the receiver as far as possible. They changed the battery compartment to allow it to hang over the front of the receiver to allow it to be farther forward.

They're easy to remove and put in a different spot, so change it up a little at the range (hopefully one you can move around a little while shooting and not one that makes you sit at a bench) and see what works best for you.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    It's really a matter of personal preference and what works best with your shooting technique.

Farther forward will give you the best field-of-view.

Farther rearward will allow you to hold your dot steadier on target.

I put my old Aimpoint C3 in a LaRue cantilever mount as far forward on the receiver as I could-- same with my current H1.

C3
    xp924x.jpg

H1
    IMG_1336.jpg

^^ This, in an actual shooting situation you don't want to loose your field of vision, you don't have time to be spending all day trying to acquire new targets through your sight.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I prefer my Aimpoint at the front of the receiver. It seems to give me a better field of view around the optic and I can still see the dot well for shooting. It is purely personal preference.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    ^^ This, in an actual shooting situation you don't want to loose your field of vision, you don't have time to be spending all day trying to acquire new targets through your sight.

Exactly. Red dots like the Aimpoint and Eotech were designed for close quarter combat. They are designed for the Bindon aiming concept, which has the shooter keeping both eyes open, and lets the dominant eye place the dot on the target. Your eyes will adjust and give you a clear sight picture, although it feels a bit strange at first.

If you shoot with only one eye open, the dot will feel more natural closer to your eye, since it is trying to focus both the dot and the target. This would be similar to using iron sights or a scope (although both can be used effectively with both eyes open).

So, to answer your question, I mount my Aimpoint as far toward the muzzle end as I can.

Top Bottom