• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well now that I have my .308 its time for some glass. I have the badger ordinance base already ordered. I am going with the Burris XTR rings, size TBD when I figure out what scope to get.

So here's where I need your help INGO. I have a couple of scopes in mind that have all been highly recommended. I just want to get a community opinion from my neighbors. I'll be shooting mostly 100yds just because that's what my "home range" has, but I would like to push it out much further whenever I get the chance. So I'm not just looking for a 100yd scope, I'm looking for something I can put on and not worry about using at 800yds (for example).

Here are the ones I'm looking at, what are your experiences/opinions?

Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP
    Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42
    WoTac 10x40
    SuperSniper 10x42

One thing I'm not sure about is if I want to go fixed or variable power. I'm thinking the variable just for the option of shooting different ranges and having no problems seeing. However, the simplicity of the fixed power is also a plus.

Any opinions are welcomed, sooner the better as I'll probably be ordering one by next week so I can get out and shoot.

Thanks

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My experience is as follows:

- Falcon Menace -
    I liked it, and for the features it has at its price point it is hard to beat. Good reticle that seemed to be pretty close. Repeatable adjustments. Decent glass.
    What I didn't like were the mushy clicks on the turrets. I couldn't feel them when my hands were cold, couldn't hear them if there was any background noise. Even when there wasn't I had to pay close attention to where I was. It didn't do as well on the box test as a Super Sniper.

- Super Sniper -
    Repeatable, accurate turrets. Solid as a tank. All the elevation I ever needed even with a 10 MOA base. I've had 3 10x, sold 1, and had a 16x I sold.
    Didn't like the glass much. It is soft anywhere but in the center. All 3 I had had good solid turret clicks, but I've handled a couple that were soft. Don't care much for the turret markings.

If I were planning to do most of my shooting from a bench I'd probably pick the Falcon. For a field gun, the SS, because subjectively I think it will stand up to being banged around better. I also prefer fixed power scopes on field guns. I have enough stuff to do when setting up without fooling with a zoom ring.

Honestly, if this is your first long range rifle I doubt you'd be making a bad choice with any of the scopes you listed. None of them have bad reps or glaring drawbacks and all will do the job. Good entry level scopes also hold their value well so if you get serious and end up wanting to improve your equipment, and you probably will, you can get most of your money back.

Jeff Julian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    I have a springfield m1 grand came with a springfield fixed scope . Iput a Konuspro 3-9x40 hitting quarters at 400yrds !!!

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I just ordered the 10x super sniper for my .308 700 and it is a very nice scope. I got the medium XTR rings and they look to be a little high on my rifle with a 20moa base, but I'm not sure what kind of clearance the low rings would give me. Looking through the glass it was very clear and the crosshairs are very thin, making it ideal for long range shooting.

I've also heard great things about the rest of the scopes, so it sounds like a tough decision.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just ordered the 10x super sniper for my .308 700 and it is a very nice scope. I got the medium XTR rings and they look to be a little high on my rifle with a 20moa base, but I'm not sure what kind of clearance the low rings would give me. Looking through the glass it was very clear and the crosshairs are very thin, making it ideal for long range shooting.

I've also heard great things about the rest of the scopes, so it sounds like a tough decision.

just last week i put a 20x ss on a prohunter. i put low rings on and had enough clearance.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    well i have a 20 moa base, with XTR low rings already ordered, and i think im going to go with the falcon menace. ill be sure to post some range reports when its all done to let you all know how it goes.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    go with what you want. i got a remy 700 vtr .308 with barska glass. on 10x its crystal clear on 40x it sux. yes its a 10-40x50 good for varmint and what not but bad for precision shooting

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    hahah thanks medic, but i dont think i will have that nice of a scope for a loooong time.

I called Matt over at wonder optics and he was pretty cool on the phone. They make the WoTac scope, but also carry the falcon (along with some others). He was very helpful, and didn't mind telling me where the falcon beat out the wotac. I am on the list for the falcon as of now because they have had some shipping issues (import i think), but they should be here next week!

Top Bottom