• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Apologize in advance for my terminology ignorance...but I am new to having optics ready handguns and have dot/picture alignment question.

I am going to assume that the dot is set to 25 yards from the factory and it seems that I am about 1" (or so) low when shooting at 10 yards...and that sounds normal, and OK for me, sort of.

But, if I decide to adjust the elevation to make it set for 10 yards instead, does the dot move from center in the sight image or is it just like adjustable rear iron sights and it effectively has you moving the barrel tip higher or lower? Again, sorry for improper wording.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    What kind of dot, pistol, and caliber would be helpful for the best answer. I get the dot and barrel PARALLEL.
    I look at the bore and dot height on mine-on mine the center of the dot is 1" higher than the center of the bore(axis). That's 1 way of doing it. " I " have to make the elevation correction- not the dot. If I'm 1" low at 25 yes who cares? 2" low at 50 yds( hold up 2" on the target) At 100yds I have found I need to hold up about 4"... hope you get the idea.
    At 100yds I gotta dope the wind anyway, elevation too isn't a big deal.
    That's 1 way. ymmv

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You didn't say what caliber you're shooting, or how your dot is mounted (height over bore of the dot will play into the calculation), but a few months back I used the Federal Ballistics calculator to crunch some numbers around point of aim vs. point of impact for 9mm using red dots zeroed at 10 / 15 / 25 yards. You can see all the results here.

Assuming you are shooting 9mm and zeroed at 25 yard, you shouldn't be hitting a full 1 inch low at 10 yards. It should be a lot closer to a quarter of an inch.

Last edited:

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What kind of dot, pistol, and caliber would be helpful for the best answer. I get the dot and barrel PARALLEL.
    I look at the bore and dot height on mine-on mine the center of the dot is 1" higher than the center of the bore(axis). That's 1 way of doing it. " I " have to make the elevation correction- not the dot. If I'm 1" low at 25 yes who cares? 2" low at 50 yds( hold up 2" on the target) At 100yds I have found I need to hold up about 4"... hope you get the idea.
    At 100yds I gotta dope the wind anyway, elevation too isn't a big deal.
    That's 1 way. ymmv
    They are CZ P-10s OR and M&P Performance Center OR ported 5" 2.0, with CT1550 red dots. The thought process for me is that the M&P will be range (and bedroom gun) and the CZ is range (and backdoor/carry/defense)...therefore the M&P might remain "factory" but the CZ for 10 yards because that is the main distance. And, then 1" off (or less) at 25 is no big deal...kinda the opposite of yours.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You didn't say what caliber you're shooting, or how your dot is mounted (height over bore of the dot will play into the calculation), but a few months back I used the Federal Ballistics calculator to crunch some numbers around point of aim vs. point of impact for 9mm using red dots zeroed at 10 / 15 / 25 yards. You can see all the results here.

Assuming you are shooting 9mm and zeroed at 25 yard, you shouldn't be hitting a full 1 inch low at 10 yards. It should be a lot closer to a quarter of an inch.
    I'll take a look at the info...thanks. I may not be 1" in actual, but I am just learning with the dot from iron sights and I keep looking at the dot (like a front sight) and shouldn't, but that may be my issue. And they are CZ P-10s OR and M&P Performance Center OR ported 5" 2.0, with CT1550 red dots.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis

Also, I usually shoot 124gr.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Also, I usually shoot 124gr.
    When playing around with the ballistics calculator I found that there isn't much difference when comparing 115 gr to 124 gr.

I'm also guessing your height over bore distance might be slightly higher if you're using OR pistols due to the optic sitting on a mounting plate. I had my slide milled so it's mounted directly to the slide.

Like you alluded to, if you're talking self defense shooting, anything hitting within half an inch to an inch of where you're aiming is probably going to be good enough. But it's always good to get out with your gun and ammo and verify.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When playing around with the ballistics calculator I found that there isn't much difference when comparing 115 gr to 124 gr.

I'm also guessing your height over bore distance might be slightly higher if you're using OR pistols due to the optic sitting on a mounting plate. I had my slide milled so it's mounted directly to the slide.

Like you alluded to, if you're talking self defense shooting, anything hitting within half an inch to an inch of where you're aiming is probably going to be good enough. But it's always good to get out with your gun and ammo and verify.
    Your thinking about bore height is probably correct due to the plate differences...marginal, but there. I will get more practice once the Coolfire Trainer for the M&P arrives...then we can do the range with ammo for both guns. My little LC9s with iron sights is pretty tight groups at 10 yards, for my standards, but the dot sights are not right now.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    In a self defense situation you're gonna want to spread your shots around a little anyway...the 2nd and 3rd shot thru the same hole don't do any damage.lol

Top Bottom