• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I've got a Dewalt random orbital sander problem. The sanding discs only stick one time. Whenever I change to a different grit & back, the previous one won't stick. It's like the hooks on the sanding pad destroy the loops on the sanding discs. I can even put a new one on, lift just one area on the edge, and get NO stick of the loops. The brand of sanding discs I have is Shop Smith purchased at Lowes. Can anybody recommend a quality hook & loop sanding disc that will stand up to repeated disc changes without destroying the loops?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I use Shop Smith discs on a Bosh with no problems with repeated changes. Are you putting to much pressure on the sander when sanding? This will mess up the hook and loop properties of the discs and pad.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I had the same problem with mine, had it for many years and loved it. I couldn't get the discs to stick anymore so I just ordered a new pad. Now all is good, and hopefully I will get another 10-15 years out of it.

Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RH80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course you may have a different model then what I own. It took about 2 minutes to change it out, and the discs all stick on like they should.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ron

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    New pads are pretty cheap and easy to replace, and they seem to wear out quicker when using cheap discs from the box stores. Before everyone puffs their chests out too much over their great brand you might check out how many brands use the same pads. Do you think the same 3 hole pattern is a coincidence or that maybe most of them are rebranded including Dewalt, Porter Cable, Makita, etc

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    One word: Festool

I have a Dewalt, 2 Porter Cable, ToolShop, and none are worth a dime compared to my Festools. I am a cabinetmaker, use them professionally. I had the same problem as you with my PorterCable.. I figured I was putting too much pressure on the sander, and in turn it ruined the hooks. My other revelation on PC sanders: after 10 minutes of sanding, my hand started going numb...with my Festool, I can sand for 30+ minutes and can't feel any adverse effects. Vibration white finger is a very real and very scary problem. The dust extraction is also way excellent on Festool, and no, you don't need to buy a Festool vac to do the job...ShopVac works fine.

I have also switched to Indasa Rhynogrip sanding discs. I get them locally at SandpaperAmerica.com The grit lasts longer than the Diablo I was using from HomeDepot, and it doesn't load as much. There are other papers out there that are made for the pro shop, like Klingspor and Mirka. I have used Mirka Bulldog, and it is good, but for the price I have settled on Indasa.

One thing you may look at: when you change the discs, can you still read the info on the back? If not, it could mean you are getting too much fine sanding dust built up in the loops on the disc. You could try smacking them on the edge of your workbench, like beating the dust out of a rug, to knock off some of the excess dust. Or try blowing them off with compressed air. Just a thought.

If you have any other questions, ask away.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I tried cleaning the disc by slapping it against my bench--still no go. I tried getting it to stick against another new piece of hook side velcro--no go. It's like the hooks on the pad are destroying the loops on the sanding disc when it's being removed from the pad.

Top Bottom