Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    kRLKi5D.jpg
    Lh1HUMI.jpg

Did I say I was serious about my 22LR addiction? :dunno:
    Nothing like getting back to my unimaginative boring roots. :popcorn:
    Been wanting a Bersa Thunder 22 but I have only seen 1 come up used in months so I just ordered one at Hoosier Armory where the best new gun prices are (in my limited experience) and they are online so I can look everyday.
    I wanted the fake SS (an aluminum alloy) instead of a blued version.
    I wanted a small .22LR (same size as their .380, though), but not tiny (already have the Taurus and Beretta tip-up barrel .22LR).
    I have larger 22s, medium-sized, small-sized and tiny (NAA 22 magnum).
    About the only one left at this point in 22LR that I want is the Rock Island Armory all-metal 22LR, but haven't run across them anywhere and can't even order one at present.

Last edited:

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Hope you have better luck than I did with the Bersa 22LR. Mine would only shoot CCI mini mags w/40g round nose. Everything else was ftf and faliure to eject. If decocker used after round loaded in chamber, would fire one shot and then not feed the next bullet, even with mini mags. I have the same pistol in 380 and it works perfectly!! Maybe it was just the one I had?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new Bersa. I have a Firestorm 22 which is identical other than having rubber finger grooves on the grips. I've had mine for maybe 6 years and it's always been fun to plink with. It was ammo finicky at first, but once broken in will run most high speed .22lr without issue.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do yourself a favor and break it in with high velocity ammo.
    CCI Mini-Mags do well.
    After a couple of hundred rounds it should run most any quality ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hope you have better luck than I did with the Bersa 22LR. Mine would only shoot CCI mini mags w/40g round nose. Everything else was ftf and faliure to eject. If decocker used after round loaded in chamber, would fire one shot and then not feed the next bullet, even with mini mags. I have the same pistol in 380 and it works perfectly!! Maybe it was just the one I had?

1. Yes, I read where the CCI mini mags might be the only thing that works. :ugh:
    2. Other readings were more generous with a couple other HV that would work.
    3. I wanted an all-metal 22LR, and most are composite of some sort, my SW MP Compact is,
    but I love it, but I did want an all-metal for a smallish one.
    4. I also read where magazines were not the best, maybe you had that problem.
    5. I will know when I hold it, but if it doesn't bring me joy, I'll sell it and move on.
    I did hold the 380 version of it, and the 22LR I was told was the same size/weight, if so, that will be acceptable.
    6. So far, the only thing I thought was so-so was the Ruger SR 22 and the similar Walther, when I rented them at the range.
    7. I compare everything to my Smith Compact: it's my benchmark. If it doesn't provide a different experience: it goes.
    8. So far, the tip-up Beretta and Taurus 22s, Beretta Neos, GSG 1911-22 with all the upgrades, and Ruger, Smith and Taurus revolvers in 22LR and magnum varieties have made the cut.
    9. Very cool that you have the .380 version as well: sounds like the kind of thing I would do.
    After buying/sellling/renting a myriad of 9mm, I fell in love with the Shield and bought it in .45 and .380 and I didn't even want/need those calibers,
    but after liking the 9mm Shield so much,
    the right price came up on my radar in the other calibers, and I am weak.
    10. I keep mentioning about selling the 45 Shield since I don't need it,
    but since I ran across a couple of good buys on .45 acp ammo (hundreds of rounds), I even bought another .45 acp (Ruger 1911 Gov't. model) that I didn't need and will sell to pay for 3 other acquisitions in 22LR that came up unexpectedly (this Bersa, GSG 1911 and Ruger Bearcat SS), all w/i about a 3-4 day period. :dunno:
    11. I am having a ball, but when my wife gets the credit card bill, it could be the end of a 45 yr. old marriage. :laugh:
    So, I'm motivated to get some sold before the next bill comes in. :crying:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Do yourself a favor and break it in with high velocity ammo.
    CCI Mini-Mags do well.
    After a couple of hundred rounds it should run most any quality ammo.

1. I did read about a 200 round break-in period.
    2. That is consistent with what I read.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    A coworker bought one recently. I just gave him a couple different rounds to try in his. I will let you know if they run okay. Mini mags run fine in his.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Tried to erase a previous boring message but I couldn’t erase thee changes with nothing there
    it just came back
    so I’m putting in words to away the previous boring message for this boring message.
    Which brings up the subject:
    How do you get rid of a post because I did not see the word cancel after you go back into it after posting it t

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up the Bersa yesterday and put some oil on it last night in anticipation of shooting it today along with an old Hi-Standard a friend gave me to buy, but I want to shoot it and find out what the market value is: $10-0, $125, $150, 175 or $200.
    I'm willing to buy it for a little below what its worth, but not spend too much since I already got an older Hi-Standard recently.

Since I was gone yesterday most of the time I've got alot of errands with the wife to do, and pick up a gun from a gun trade (details in another thread later) and I want to look at a safe I intend to buy.

So, doesn't look like any range time with 3 "new" guns I'm going to have that I didn't start out the weekend with.
    Reports will be insuing commensurate with trying to get too much done in a day (work does interfere with one's hobbies, as do wives :laugh:.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got to put some rounds through it this evening (150 of CCI Mini-mags).
    It did well. I enjoyed it. Fired everything from 15' to 45'.
    There was no FTE, but there was 3 times that it did not fire even after pulling the trigger 2-3 times, and I had to manually eject the shell: I assume the shell was bad?

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    There was no FTE, but there was 3 times that it did not fire even after pulling the trigger 2-3 times, and I had to manually eject the shell: I assume the shell was bad?
    More than likely it was just a bad round.

Makes me want to get mine out of the safe and play around with it again, even with the mini mags mine has had extraction issues which is a shame because it feels great in the hand and was accurate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tried to erase a previous boring message but I couldn’t erase thee changes with nothing there
    it just came back
    so I’m putting in words to away the previous boring message for this boring message.
    Which brings up the subject:
    How do you get rid of a post because I did not see the word cancel after you go back into it after posting it t

"You" can not delete a post. You can edit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

3 failures is something I would look into. I have had failure a few FTF's in the same gun on 22LR. But they were spread out over several range sessions. Not 3 in one night. "Bursa"....go figure.

A gun is supposed to go bang every time you pull the trigger. A round will fail on occasion. Try the gun again through 150. If you get failures look at the gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3 failures is something I would look into. I have had failure a few FTF's in the same gun on 22LR. But they were spread out over several range sessions. Not 3 in one night. "Bursa"....go figure.

A gun is supposed to go bang every time you pull the trigger. A round will fail on occasion. Try the gun again through 150. If you get failures look at the gun.

1. Will do.
    2. I am big on documentation when I go to the range: which ammo, any failures, shooting on point (or not, figuring out if it is me or the gun) and etc.
    3. I will put it through its paces with different ammo even, but for now during the break-in period I'll use all Hi-Velocity and no Standard ammo, so there is no excuses in case I need to contact Bersa and send it back with dates of occurences.
    4. At this point I am not concerned b/c it seems that any of my semi-autos are capable of a FTE, which is why I would never trust one for CC and use a revolver for the same.
    5. I know that remark will bring some wrath, but, remember my immaturity and the fact that I'm not going to buy a $1000 (semi) CC gun when I revolver will go bang everytime I need it to, which hopefully it will be never.
    6. I'm not against carrying one for a "back-up" as long as my primary is a revolver (Smith 38 special Airweight hammerless, with Delta grip since my old fingers hated the recoil w/stock grips).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Two things I never expected doddg to say! :yesway:

1. It is so fun for me to have been around long enough (10 months) that others can have some fun with me.
    2. Humor is all-important to me as a lubricant to get through the day, the job, marriage, and just people in general (serves me well as a teacher, especially being able to laugh at myself).
    3. It is fun to see the expression on a teen's face when they try to make fun me over something, take being bald, and I come up with a better line making fun of bald guys that they can use in the future.
    4. One of my favorites is to tell them I could buy a hairpiece but I have bought 20 motorcycles less expensive: then ensues a conversation about MCs. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another day putting 100 rounds through it CCI Hi-Velocity w/o incident.
    Soon, I will try some 1200 FPS, instead of the 1280 FPD, and if that goes well, I'll try to sneak in a session of standard-velocity 1080 or what ever they are, but I've got 1000s of Hi-Velocity that are not CCI, but I'm giving it the best right now to evade FTE or FTF, which the latter hopefully the ammo.

Top Bottom