• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Sorry if this is a silly question but when you order a stripped lower, complete lower, or anything involver a lower for an AR, the product has to be shipped to an FFL correct?

I am gathering parts for my first build and a few of the times that I have went to order a lower I saw nothing about shipping to an FFL.

Thanks for the help guys!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Yep, Stripped Lowers are the part of an AR that has the serial number. Has to go through an FFL.

Edit, unless you buy through a private party. I could sell you a lower FTF. But if it is shipped from a distributor, it will have to go to the FFL.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yep, Stripped Lowers are the part of an AR that has the serial number. Has to go through an FFL.

Edit, unless you buy through a private party. I could sell you a lower FTF. But if it is shipped from a distributor, it will have to go to the FFL.

Actually, I *think* (and I know I will be corrected if I am wrong) you can ship a lower within the state to any individual who is also an Indiana resident, just as you can a regular long gun. Unless because a lower can be made into a pistol it is excluded?

Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    From atf.gov:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    From atf.gov:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

I am not sure if this provides the answer. I am talking about purchasing from an online retailer.

Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    More of a response/supplement to shibumiseeker.

If it is a retailer I'm sure they will require an FFL, especially if it's shipping from out of state.

The lower receiver is the controlled/documented part of the weapon from what I understand. You can purchase and have shipped any other part without an FFL. Unless it's an NFA item.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wrong. Guns cannot be shipped to anyone outside an FFL. Exception: Return to owner such as warranty work, smith work (if already transferred to individual), etc. You cannot sell it to someone, in state or out, and ship it to them directly. It has to go through an FFL.

Lower receiver must ship to an FFL. All other parts can be mailed directly to you.

Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Firearms Shipping Guide- GunBroker.com Help Center seems to support what is said on Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31, 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Unless you know a reference that I'm unaware of. Which is more than possible.

Last edited:

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    That is only specifying the WAY you can ship it. All that is stating is that you can use USPS to ship guns in state. That has nothing to do with the legality of a transfer of ownership. As an FFL holder, when in doubt, call your local ATF branch. They will tell you the real story.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I love the interwebz.
    To the OP: Yes, when you purchase a stripped lower from a FFL it must be transferred to you via whatever the darn form number is. Therefore an out-of-state retailer must ship it to a FFL.
    Everybody else: A firearm sold FTF may be shipped directly to the in-state purchaser.
    I think two different scenarios are being morphed into confusing replies.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I think two different scenarios are being morphed into confusing replies.

I agree. I was not clear in the OP but later clarified. I am specifically talking about purchasing a lower from an online retailer. Why am I asking? Simply because I see Anderson stripped lowers for $49.99 all day online but at the gun show vendors are asking $99 or more for the same lower. I was just trying to measure whether or not it would be a wash in the end so to speak. $49 online plus shipping and FFL transfer or $99 and walk out the door with it. May end up paying $99 either way, idk.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I agree. I was not clear in the OP but later clarified. I am specifically talking about purchasing a lower from an online retailer. Why am I asking? Simply because I see Anderson stripped lowers for $49.99 all day online but at the gun show vendors are asking $99 or more for the same lower. I was just trying to measure whether or not it would be a wash in the end so to speak. $49 online plus shipping and FFL transfer or $99 and walk out the door with it. May end up paying $99 either way, idk.

Pretty much a wash, but buying from a Gun Show you can see the lower you are buying.

I have bought some of those lowers from PSA. Most of them are fine, but one does have a flaw in the finish. Not worth doing an exchange, but had I been able to see it before buying I would have picked another one.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That is only specifying the WAY you can ship it. All that is stating is that you can use USPS to ship guns in state. That has nothing to do with the legality of a transfer of ownership. As an FFL holder, when in doubt, call your local ATF branch. They will tell you the real story.

If you are saying that you can not in any way ship a firearm from one private citizen to another, WITHIN your own state, please cite the law, otherwise you are just making things up. Also, just because some ATF dope on the phone tells you something, doesn't make it LAW.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

OP, US Defense Solutions in Greenwood has $15 transfer fees, so $49 plus the $15 fee, $64 total.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [h=6]
    [/h]A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Try again.

Top Bottom