• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, I'm sure someone on here has some experience with this, so....

I recently stumbled upon a vendor in the Czech Republic who has vz.58 30 round mil-surp magazines at the stupid low price of less than $5.00 US each. Now my first thought was "KICK ASS, I CAN LOAD UP!" My second thought was "group buy", as the shipping is a tad on the high side... at almost $50, so I'm thinking hey, if I'm going to pay a shipping fee, might as well make it worth it. I mention this on another forum I'm on (I know, I'm a gun forum whore!) and the debate whether or not it's legal begins. I decide after a day an a half of posts that I just need to call the ATF import division and find out.

What I get from the woman that answered the line was that it is illegal for an individual to even order a single firearm component from outside the US. You have to have an FFL and a special Import license. Now I could see this for firearms, hell I could even see it for a few thousand magazines... but for a hundred or so? Not to mention the fact that there are numerous vendors outside the US that ship to US addresses on a daily basis... Zahal and NEA come to mind right off the bat.

So did this woman just have no clue, or am I chancing a federal gun-running beef if I do this? I'm thinking of calling the Chicago Field office to see if I can get some clarification.

Thanks In Advance all

Jason

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    They're munitions list items:

See, http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1110&NoCount=1

See also,
    International Traffic In Arms Regulations - PART 121-THE UNITED STATES MUNITIONS LIST

International Traffic In Arms Regulations

PART 121-THE UNITED STATES MUNITIONS LIST

Enumeration of Articles

121.1 General. The United States Munitions List.

121.2 Interpretations of the United States Munitions List and the Missile Technology Control Regime Annex.
    121.3 Aircraft and related articles.
    121.4 Amphibious vehicles.
    121.5 Apparatus and devices under Category IV(c).
    121.6 Cartridge and shell casings.
    121.7 Chemical agents.
    121.8 End-items, components, accessories, attachments, parts, firmware, software and systems.
    121.9 Firearms.
    121.10 Forgings, castings and machined bodies.
    121.11 Military demolition blocks and blasting caps.
    121.12 Military explosives.
    121.13 Military fuel thickeners.
    121.14 Propellants.
    121.15 Vessels of war and special naval equipment.
    121.16 Missile Technology Control Regime Annex.
    Authority: Sec. 2, 38, and 71, Pub. L. 90-629, 90 Stat. 744 (22 U.S.C. 2752, 2778, 2797); E.O. 11958, 42 FR 4311; 3 CFR 1977 Comp. p. 79; 22 U.S.C. 2658. Enumeration of Articles § 121.1 -- General. The United States munitions list.

(a) The following articles, services and related technical data are designated as defense articles and defense services pursuant to sections 38 and 47(7) of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778 and 2794(7)). Changes in designations will be published in the Federal Register. Information and clarifications on whether specific items are defense articles and services under this subchapter may appear periodically in the Defense Trade News published by the Center for Defense Trade.
    (b) Significant military equipment: An asterisk precedes certain defense articles in the following list. The asterisk means that the article is deemed to be "significant military equipment" to the extent specified in § 120.19. The asterisk is placed as a convenience to help identify such articles.
    (c) Certain items in the following list are placed in brackets. The brackets mean that the item is (1) scheduled to be moved to the licensing jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce upon establishment of a foreign policy control or (2) in the case of spacecraft and related equipment, the item is under review by an interagency space technical working group. The interagency review will result in a recommendation as to whether an item should be moved to the jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce or to USML category XV which was established for this purpose.
    (d) Missile Technology Control Regime Annex (MTCR). Certain defense articles and services are identified in § 121.16 as being on the list of MTCR Annex items on the United States Munitions List. These are articles as specified in § 120.29 of this subchapter and appear on the list at § 121.16. Category I-Firearms

*(a) Nonautomatic, semi-automatic and fully automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive, and all components and parts for such firearms. (See § 121.9 and §§ 123.16-123.19 of this subchapter.)

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    ITAR, YOUTAR, WEALLTAR.:laugh:

No, she had a clue, get the license or order from a dealer in the Shotgun News or a gun show and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.

I still just don't believe it... I can't order a magazine, or pistol grip, or a set of hand guards from overseas? wow, this country really has gone to hell in a hand basket!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    still just don't believe it... I can't order a magazine, or pistol grip, or a set of hand guards from overseas? wow, this country really has gone to hell in a hand basket!

Or an optic.:laugh:

(b) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor; firearm silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors

Remember, it's for the children . . . oh, and to build fences and economic rent seeking by USA manufacturers and dealers.;)

What better way to destroy the competition than to do it to stamp out "terrorism".:rolleyes:

Top Bottom