OSUT#256 - Easter Bunny, Solar Eclipse...what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My ear muffs weren't working last night. Just checked. the batteries had started leaking, so I had to clean that mess up. Tooth brush with wet baking soda.
    I need to check my sets of muffs. Recently have found a number of remotes that have the leaking battery issue. Last evening told my wife I think I better check the muffs as none of the, have been used recently. Don’t want to have to shell out the big bucks to replace them.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    for sound, surprisingly good.
    The only problem I sometimes have with rifle shooting, is they get moved off my ear a bit getting into position.
    Would you say that's because of the width/depth or the diameter?

My cans are OK, with additional plugs inside, but with my abused (too many Queenryche, Poison, GnR, Waylon and Willie jobs) worn out ears, I am always looking to improve the cans and try to keep what ears I have left.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Serious question ?
    Yes, sir.
    I am looking for a better set of cans, but hesitate to go electronic.

I have no experience with active muffs except for small noises (flying). Rifle fire is not a small noise.
    And I want to try to preserve what's left of my ears.

My cans drop out almost 30dB, plugs drop another 10dB maybe, but with a table reflecting and a low roof above, it's not enough if I'm having fun half an afternoon.

I already have some hearing loss.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Good Morning INGO! Hope you all have a great day.
    As to the question of ear muffs, after a long research effort, I bought a set of Peltor Tactical 500 ear muffs. Fantastic fitting muffs with 26db noise reduction and Bluetooth capability.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Yes, sir.
    I am looking for a better set of cans, but hesitate to go electronic.

I have no experience with active muffs except for small noises (flying). Rifle fire is not a small noise.
    And I want to try to preserve what's left of my ears.

My cans drop out almost 30dB, plugs drop another 10dB maybe, but with a table reflecting and a low roof above, it's not enough if I'm having fun half an afternoon.

I already have some hearing loss.
    If you won’t go electric then can’t help you. Static muffs with ear plugs is probably your best option. I prefer electric because I can still hear pretty much as normal except when a round is fired off. Shooting matches or anytime others are around the electrics provide normal conversations, RO or SO commands can be heard, etc. with ability to adjust volume up or down. My hearing loss and especially the tinnitus like them better than any static muffs, earplugs. Many friends have some of the newer in-the-ear types and like them but I have no experience personally.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    If you won’t go electric then can’t help you. Static muffs with ear plugs is probably your best option. I prefer electric because I can still hear pretty much as normal except when a round is fired off. Shooting matches or anytime others are around the electrics provide normal conversations, RO or SO commands can be heard, etc. with ability to adjust volume up or down. My hearing loss and especially the tinnitus like them better than any static muffs, earplugs. Many friends have some of the newer in-the-ear types and like them but I have no experience personally.
    Thanks, but I did say I hesitate, but mainly because I've never tried them.
    Need to further educate myself, it seems.
    Thanks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Survived my trip to Castleton but just barely. If my hair weren't already white, it would be now. I used to say that I wouldn't go up there unless it were a matter of life and death. Now I think I need to revise that. I want to avoid it unless it were a matter of life and death for someone I really, really like. :n00b:

That whole northeast quadrant is a Charlie Foxtrot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Went and got lunch at Arby's. We each got a Reuben. When will I ever learn that Reubens at fast food restaurants are never Reubens? Cold meat, cold cheese, bread not grilled or even toasted (yuck). I had to break out the griddle, add saurkraut, 1000 island and more swiss cheese to get it close.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom