• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So I bought the CS5 Tuesday night, arrived here Thursday. Nice. Quick assembly and then I laid it on the floor pointed north through a wall and brick exterior and got much better signal than the radio shack one. I might get by mounting this in my attic which would be much easier. Very happy.

thanks for the rec on the CS5

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Its not all antenna either, alot also depends on the quality of the tuner in your tv. Low end tv's don't pull signal as well as higher end tvs.

While my situation is not like many of the posters in this thread since I live near broadripple, but my Panasonic pulls some 35 channels with nothing more than a UHF (most hd channels are in that band) hoop lying on the floor.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So I bought the CS5 Tuesday night, arrived here Thursday. Nice. Quick assembly and then I laid it on the floor pointed north through a wall and brick exterior and got much better signal than the radio shack one. I might get by mounting this in my attic which would be much easier. Very happy.

thanks for the rec on the CS5

:yesway:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Its not all antenna either, alot also depends on the quality of the tuner in your tv. Low end tv's don't pull signal as well as higher end tvs.

While my situation is not like many of the posters in this thread since I live near broadripple, but my Panasonic pulls some 35 channels with nothing more than a UHF (most hd channels are in that band) hoop lying on the floor.

I beg to differ, I have two different external tuners that I use other than my Plasma LG's internal tuner.

One is a 14 year old LG HD tuner that I bought for my 2000 Mitsubishi 48 inch HD Monitor and the the other is the cheapo $39.00 digital tuners
    that was being thrown around for people to use on the change over.

I use the LG tuner upstairs with my HD projector and the cheapo downstairs on the old Mitsubishi, both perform flawlessly and pull everything in.
    Neither one of these tuners are now where as good as today's tuners being made.

Now on you pulling in all those channels, living in the Ripple and having the closes tower a mere 3 miles away, you should be able to pull all those in just by making one of those paper clip or binder antenna's.:laugh:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OK, The antenna is mounted. The hole pattern I went with was going to require one hole in brick. I wasn't comfortable pushing into brick with my handheld drill on the top of the ladder over my second story window. I went ahead and used three concrete anchors which is probably good enough. I did the mount first, then the mast, then the antenna. I was afraid if I put the mast up I wouldn't be able to get the antenna on it based on ladder positioning. It was a PITA holding the antenna vertical while trying to get the bolts inside the hollow mast and out the adjustment hole. BUT... it's up and working well. Pics later. Tomorrow my cable comes from Amazon and I can get to running that along the fascia and into my basement. Then it's time for an awesome call to Comcast :):

Now... anyone have a favorite DVR for OTA use that includes the TV schedule? I saw a no-fee one from channelmaster for $250 that requires an external HD.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Now... anyone have a favorite DVR for OTA use that includes the TV schedule? I saw a no-fee one from channelmaster for $250 that requires an external HD.

I would recommend the Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR

Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function/HDMI Out (Black): Electronics

You can get it at Amazon for $34.29. If you are looking for something that works like a TIVO or cable/satellite company DVR, this isnt it. But it does give you a free tv schedule (not sure if it is past 24 hrs) and records programs to an external usb hard drive or thumb drive. It also is your tuner. It is not the most intuitive thing in the world, you may feel like you are back to programming a VCR sometimes but you can record off the tv schedule that it shows also. It works and did I mention it is only $34???

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Channel Master had a couple of HD DVR's that I should have bought that are now out of production, but they now have a new model:
    DVR+ | Channel Master Store

Thinking about getting this and dropping a 2TB drive on it and record like crazy. :):

I would recommend the Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR

Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function/HDMI Out (Black): Electronics

You can get it at Amazon for $34.29. If you are looking for something that works like a TIVO or cable/satellite company DVR, this isnt it. But it does give you a free tv schedule (not sure if it is past 24 hrs) and records programs to an external usb hard drive or thumb drive. It also is your tuner. It is not the most intuitive thing in the world, you may feel like you are back to programming a VCR sometimes but you can record off the tv schedule that it shows also. It works and did I mention it is only $34???

Low grade and if it is anything like I've seen on a couple of like items, might as well hand me the money if you're going to throw it away.:spend:
    My philosophy on somethings like this, if you've not seen it main stream advertised, or seen anything remotely mentioned in a AVS forum or any person who's a little on top of what's going on, it's too iffy to think about getting it.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Low grade and if it is anything like I've seen on a couple of like items, might as well hand me the money if you're going to throw it away.:spend:
    My philosophy on somethings like this, if you've not seen it main stream advertised, or seen anything remotely mentioned in a AVS forum or any person who's a little on top of what's going on, it's too iffy to think about getting it.

Perhaps, but I am actually using one and it works for me. My recommendation is based on owning and using the Homeworx HW 150PVR. And it does have an active AVS forum that a company representative is monitoring and answering questions. You can find it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion
    It seems the biggest complaints are from people who purchased it expecting it to do something that it doesnt claim to be able to do.

Like I said, I own one and it works for me. You wont be getting $34 from me because I am going to use it to purchase another HW150PVR for another TV.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I appreciate the low cost option but the channel master seems like what I am looking for. My wife isn't 100% behind this move so anything to make it easier would be helpful. I happen to have a spare 1tb drive sitting too.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Channel Master had a couple of HD DVR's that I should have bought that are now out of production, but they now have a new model:
    DVR+ | Channel Master Store

Thinking about getting this and dropping a 2TB drive on it and record like crazy. :):

I'm going to show my ignorance here but from where do these OTA DVR's get their guide information? Is the guide information available to show program information for days or a week (+) in advance?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The CM one connects to your wifi and downloads it from a service. Most OTA DVRs require a monthly fee for this service, but the CM one does not. The cheaper one above doesn't need a fee, but you record a timeslot on a channel, not a show. Less intuitive and requires more work. Can't catch it if network changes programming either, but certainly a different price point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The CM one connects to your wifi and downloads it from a service. Most OTA DVRs require a monthly fee for this service, but the CM one does not. The cheaper one above doesn't need a fee, but you record a timeslot on a channel, not a show. Less intuitive and requires more work. Can't catch it if network changes programming either, but certainly a different price point.
    Ah! That makes sense.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just installed my Channelmaster DVR+. I put a 2TB HD on there from newegg. Also bought a wireless USB adapter for it but it won't install. Boo. I sent an email to channelmaster to get a list of compatable ones. Setup was a breeze. It found 41 channels, the OTA guide is pretty good. They have plans to add app features and whole house DVR support. It is compatable with Slingbox too so I'll need to look into that too. Not sure I can do Slingbox, wireless, and USB HD unless it supports USB hubs.

i have it inside a cabinet 20' from the TV. We have a wireless extender for the TV since we couldn't easily run a wire to the TV. The remote is very responsive even with the IR repeater and another device being used.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Interesting thread....I'm considering going this route just for the sake of being a cheapskate. These stupid companies just keep raising prices.

And stick with Dave Ramsey....it's worth it. We don't have any payments except the house and that'll be over within 5 years (probably closer to 3). I've been following Dave for years and listen to his show every week - great, common sense stuff!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Anybody know if it's possible to use a 2nd TV with that Channel Master DVR+ ?

I might be able to convince the wife to go this route if we can use it on the bedroom TV as well.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anybody know if it's possible to use a 2nd TV with that Channel Master DVR+ ?

I might be able to convince the wife to go this route if we can use it on the bedroom TV as well.

I don't thjnk you can use a second tv natively yet. You could get a Slingbox possibly and do it with a home network. They are working on adapters to allow whole-home usage with the DVR+ but it's not out yet.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Watching TV last night we had some blips on channel 8 and 4. 4 is a different direction and 8 is VHF. they both worked well when I had a short cable going to the TV from the antenna. Now there is probably 150' of cable and two splitters involved. Going to pick up a pre-amp and see how that does. I'll have to stick it in my attic so it means a few more holes in the house to take cable in to the pre-amp and then back out to the existing run. Boooo...

i learned a CATV amp won't necessarily amplify antenna signal as it's a different frequency.

Bought the ChannelMaster 7778 medium-gain preamp from Amazon. I had the high-gain version of this (7777) in New Castle and it worked great. I went medium-gain since I get good signal already on most channels and you can actually overdrive the tuner and lose quality I guess. It also has a built-in FM trap in case FM signals are causing noise along the system.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-7778-Medium-Gain-Preamplifier/dp/B0013CGNGY

Update on WiFi: I just spoke to ChannelMaster and you HAVE to buy their WiFi USB adapter. What a PITA. It is not clearly articulated that it is a proprietary item. Now I have to pay $11 shipping on a tiny USB wifi device. :xmad:. Still going to be cheaper than Comcast though :):

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Update on WiFi: I just spoke to ChannelMaster and you HAVE to buy their WiFi USB adapter. What a PITA. It is not clearly articulated that it is a proprietary item. Now I have to pay $11 shipping on a tiny USB wifi device. :xmad:. Still going to be cheaper than Comcast though :):

Well, of course they tell you that's the only one....but..... Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 33

"Just wanted to report that I'm successfully using a TP-Link 300Mbps high gain wireless USB adapter (model #TL-WN822N) with the DVR+"

That adapter is here for $19
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-External-Antennas/dp/B00416Q5KI

It's likely it just needs that particular chipset and the TP-Link uses the same chipset internally. Anyway, it's a cheaper alternative @ $19 shipped.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks for the link. Now I'm irritated since i just spent $53 to get it :xmad:. I may call channelmaster tomorrow and complain about that.

on a side note, need help with some connections

our bedroom has a cable to the closet where a cable box took the signal to a component cable and then to our TV. Now I don't have that cable box. Do I need a digital tuner box with component out and just run it in place of the Comcast box?

Top Bottom