• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    I got this Benchmade Mini Infidel in a group of knives a while back. It’s cool and all but I do not see what the hype is all about. I carry a ZT 0200 most of the time. It’s a tank of a knife. It locks up tight, opens fast. If I want to carry a lightweight knife I have a ZT carbon fiber handled knife. Just seems to me like there are too many moving parts on OTF knives. I guess I just like things simple and nearly fool proof. What are your opinions on automatic knives?

Attachments

• 0CC8C258-9AF2-4FC9-9E80-745AE3E3F8A0.jpeg
      0CC8C258-9AF2-4FC9-9E80-745AE3E3F8A0.jpeg
      255 KB · Views: 9

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I like the OTFs, but they're not in my opinion a work knife, or a hard use. They're good for opening boxes, letters, etc. Light duty, and they have a nice cool factor.

But I think that's where the automatic out the side knives pick up the slack. They are quick to deploy and very sturdy for use as a work knife.

I have a mini-infidel only because I've always wanted one. I use it occasionally and it's in the daily carry rotation but if I know I need to really use something I'll grab a spyderco or ZT

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I think it's mostly the cool factor, but you also definitely get what you pay for out there. There are a lot of cheap OTF knives that aren't good for anything.

I think most people have heard of the Benchmades and the Microtechs and they're some of the better ones. If you want an OTF for hard use every day, you would have to look for a Gavin Hawk custom one. And they get pretty expensive, but if that's what you want and you can justify it, you won't be disappointed.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I agree, OTF autos have a niche use case, which don't necessarily align with the normal dude's use. So it's hard to justify the extra cost and risk due to the additional moving parts/mechanisms, etc.

Folding or out the side autos are very handy and fit the normal EDC style knife use without the over the top cost. Kershaw (owned by ZT) has some great value side open autos.

I've found the Benchmade Axis-Lock has the best overall functionality for me for an EDC type work knife.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I agree, OTF autos have a niche use case, which don't necessarily align with the normal dude's use. So it's hard to justify the extra cost and risk due to the additional moving parts/mechanisms, etc.

Folding or out the side autos are very handy and fit the normal EDC style knife use without the over the top cost. Kershaw (owned by ZT) has some great value side open autos.

I've found the Benchmade Axis-Lock has the best overall functionality for me for an EDC type work knife.
    Really like the look and feel of some of the Benchmade side autos. Osborne, Adamas, Auto Fact, and even the Presidio II verions :thumbsup:

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I carry an Osborne daily as the size is perfect for my normal everyday home/office use. But would like to get my hands on an Auto Adamas for more of an outdoor folder.
    I've sold a few of them already. I can order them, whenever you're ready. They're a beast of knife, definitely made for some hard use.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    OTF knives are made to cut, just like any other knife. They aren't made to pry things open, chop or pound on things. I have a Templar OTF and have had it for quite a while. It serves its purpose, is made in the USA, is relatively inexpensive and has a lifetime warranty.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think OTF are cool and enjoy carrying one for their novelty, but my "work" knives are all either out the side autos or titanium frame locks because I know those won't fail on me. For the record I have broken darn near every OTF Microtech makes from an Ultratech to a Scarab , never abusing them. Their inability to be easily taken apart and cleaned is their biggest failure point IMHO

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I will also add the vast majority of OTF's on the market are also dagger ground blades. Which is a neat feature allowed by the OTF design. This blade style is not very practical for your every day non stabby person hindering the knifes usefulness.

When I was collecting OTF's I only went after single edge knives and they were significantly harder to find than their dagger ground counterparts. But there is also a healthy amount of personal preference there too.

Top Bottom