• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Hey! Looking for some recommendations on an OTF knife for carry. I have mainly looked at the Benchmade Infidel and the Microtech line. Any thoughts on those two? Or others worth looking at? Thanks!

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    There are a LOT actually. What's your budget?

The Kershaw Livewire, and the Hogue OTFs aren't bad either for a slightly smaller budget.

If you want any help pricing one, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to quote you on any of them.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I bought a benchmade infidel but that’s because I had to have a knife that day I couldn’t wait, but if they had one I would have preferred a microtech (I’d want a blue ultratec with a Spartan blade!)

But that was a couple of years ago, today I’d probably buy the new Kershaw live wire, I’ve got a few kershaw autos, and they’re the best auto knives I own!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Microtech and like it. It fires decently and is a stout blade albeit short profile (height).
    If I were to by anoher, I'd opt for the Kershaw. The 2 swing autos from them that I own fires hard, has enough profile to bite deeply into flesh or make feather sticks for fire & is a good all around knife. It's not as combat driven like the Microtech.
    So the decision is: do I want tactical or practical?

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I have a Microtech and like it. It fires decently and is a stout blade albeit short profile (height).
    If I were to by anoher, I'd opt for the Kershaw. The 2 swing autos from them that I own fires hard, has enough profile to bite deeply into flesh or make feather sticks for fire & is a good all around knife. It's not as combat driven like the Microtech.
    So the decision is: do I want tactical or practical?
    one of each? :stickpoke:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Skip the Infidel it's a cool name but that about it, D2 in a OTF I am not a fan of as it can surface rust easily and with an OTF good luck fixing that.

Go with Microtech an Ultratech will be at least $100 cheaper than an Infidel and if you want to spend more I suggest a Scarab or Combat Troodon. Keep it a single edge, as daggers are fragile and difficult at best to sharpen well. The new Microtech M390 blade steel they are using now from Böhler is awesome too.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Great info friends. Size wise…between the Kershaw, Benchmade, and Microtech…all fairly similar?
    Depends on the model. They make all sizes.

Open LengthClosed Length
    Kershaw Livewire8.125"4.78"
    Benchmade Infidel8.91"5"
    Benchmade Mini-Infidel7.1"4"
    Microtech Ultratech8.4"5"
    Microtech Troodon7.5"4.5"
    Microtech Combat Troodon9.5"5.75"

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Skip the Infidel it's a cool name but that about it, D2 in a OTF I am not a fan of as it can surface rust easily and with an OTF good luck fixing that.

Go with Microtech an Ultratech will be at least $100 cheaper than an Infidel and if you want to spend more I suggest a Scarab or Combat Troodon. Keep it a single edge, as daggers are fragile and difficult at best to sharpen well. The new Microtech M390 blade steel they are using now from Böhler is awesome too.

I've had mine since 06 when they first came out. Carried and used very often... zero rust.

I line the huge easy to use button, and it's double edged, meaning it's not only a decent back up weapon, but it will stay sharp twice as long during normal cutting chores.

It's bulky and heavy... but so easy to use, especially one handed.

Benchmade Infidel on stump.JPG

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Dollar for dollar, the Kershaw OTF's are not beatable. This is not an opinion, they are the best value in OTF's with a lifetime warranty that there is.

That being said, Microtech uses some better steels. They have the proven history.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Check out the OTF’s carefully. (Also see the third paragraph) buy from reputable places.

The infidel is often counterfeit very well even the boxes are now near perfect replicas. The only ones more counterfeit than the infidel seems to be the micro tech models. We used to be able to tell from the boxes and the documentation but even these are nearly identical now. I got burned on a model 42 butterfly knife at a gun show as when I compared it to my father’s model 42 the only difference was the spring latch spring and the box shape.

certain Chinese knife (makers?) fakers are actually doing a very good job making OTF knives. I cannot test metal for hardness ect so I cannot say that they are made with the blade metal the advertised item lists but they are very good copies and very bad copies available if you can wait for the 2-3 month shipping they seem to use To get the the USA(FUSA).
    I had a 10 custom made microtech like copies made 2 years ago from a Chinese producer with custom logos for co workers Christmas present.
    one guy used the blade as a ply bar and broke the blade (this will happen to any knife if you give it to an idiot) the rest are working everyday for some of them and a couple have never been used.
    the model 42 is a very good knife but it is not a bench made model 42. It is a copy but a very good copy.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I've had mine since 06 when they first came out. Carried and used very often... zero rust.

I line the huge easy to use button, and it's double edged, meaning it's not only a decent back up weapon, but it will stay sharp twice as long during normal cutting chores.

It's bulky and heavy... but so easy to use, especially one handed.

View attachment 309283

Glad you like yours , I have had a Medford with a D2 blade develop surface rust after being in my pocket after a busy day shooting USPSA in 90 degree weather. Swore right then I would not do non stainless bladed OTF since disassembly is frowned upon and I don't want to mess with it myself. I personally feel that the Microtech is the better knife but that's just an opinion.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Like what you stated, I find the Benchmade Infidel and Microtech offerings to be nice.

Two more otf's that have my vote are ones made by H&K and also Kershaw.

The Kershaw Livewire is one I have specific interest in buying actually for my first otf.

Evergreen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2024
    Ohio
    There are a LOT actually. What's your budget?

The Kershaw Livewire, and the Hogue OTFs aren't bad either for a slightly smaller budget.

If you want any help pricing one, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to quote you on any of them.
    I can second the Hogue OTF knifes, pretty decent little knives

Top Bottom