• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The classifieds on this forum populate to riverofguns.com giving national reach then when folks try to connect with members to possibly buy the things they’ve advertised, they can’t reach them. Then, when moderators ping the new member for a scolding, that conversation is closed to replies.

This was posted in the 50 post thread and I went to the site listed. They apparently have scrapped INGO ads and display them and a click on the ad takes one to INGO where there is just an ad for the item. There is no other info on that page. I get the posters complaint.

It could be helpful if there was a disclaimer at the bottom of the ads that inform that membership with 50 posts is required, or site supporter status to inquire about the ads. After following this rabbit trail I do see why some would be aggravated, saw an ad for something they wanted, clicked over too INGO, says must be logged in or registered to reply to the ad, registers, then reply does not work, digs around and finds out the rules and is really frustrated.

Shouldnt they know what is necessary to reply to ads when they start? Not go step by step just to find out the actual rules?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This was posted in the 50 post thread and I went to the site listed. They apparently have scrapped INGO ads and display them and a click on the ad takes one to INGO where there is just an ad for the item. There is no other info on that page. I get the posters complaint.

It could be helpful if there was a disclaimer at the bottom of the ads that inform that membership with 50 posts is required, or site supporter status to inquire about the ads. After following this rabbit trail I do see why some would be aggravated, saw an ad for something they wanted, clicked over too INGO, says must be logged in or registered to reply to the ad, registers, then reply does not work, digs around and finds out the rules and is really frustrated.

Shouldnt they know what is necessary to reply to ads when they start? Not go step by step just to find out the actual rules?
    I think a better solution would be to block riverofguns or other websites from linking directly to ads. Pretty sure that's doable. Think of other sites that don't allow "hot linking" on other websites.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

It would have to be a popup. And probably have to be generated by ROG because Im not sure this site can know how the user got here. Our own users already cant be bothered to read what already exists. Adding more wont help.

Tagging @texkev so he is aware.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think a better solution would be to block riverofguns or other websites from linking directly to ads. Pretty sure that's doable. Think of other sites that don't allow "hot linking" on other websites.
    I am good with that but Texkev may not because it generates free traffic for him…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It would have to be a popup. And probably have to be generated by ROG because Im not sure this site can know how the user got here. Our own users already cant be bothered to read what already exists. Adding more wont help.

Tagging @texkev so he is aware.
    What would be the harm in a disclaimer on all classified posts briefly explaining the rules, no matter where they come from?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What would be the harm in a disclaimer on all classified posts briefly explaining the rules, no matter where they come from?
    That could be a heavy lift to inject that content onto every ad. For what? a handful of users globally?

They'll figure it out soon enough.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised sites can do this. It doesn’t appear this is causing that much of a problem. Honestly, I’d say the majority of classifieds reports I see have to do with people not adding photos, prices, etc. and posts getting added to the ad threads. We do get noobs trying to skirt the rules but so far, it’s not all that bad.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have you gone to the site and followed the trail?
    Yes. Clicking on INGO takes you to all the ads here. They should just take one to the general site and then the person that clicked would have to navigate to the classifieds here. Then it would be just like any other newbie that finds this site by chance.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is complicated. Glad I’m on the “step in when feces are being thrown” part of the staff.

Top Bottom