• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    This is a notice from another board. Its very deserving of our attention. I have e mailed Sheriff Paul Babeu asking what can be done etc. If anyone has an interest please let me know.

:rockwoot:

So. Arizona sheriff wants high-powered weapons

Posted - 8/3/2010 at 7:29PM by Lupita Murillo

TUCSON - Pinal County is 90 miles from the border. Yet, they're on the frontline of illegal border crossers, and smugglers.

Sheriff Paul Babeu says his department is outmanned and outgunned. So he's hoping to close that gap by providing every deputy with an AR-15 a semi automatic rifle.

But Pinal County doesn't have the funds.

So, the Pinal County Justice Foundation is stepping up to raise the funds.

Surveillance photos obtained by News 4 show the fire power smugglers are carrying in the desert of Pinal county, AK-47.

Sheriff Paul Babeu says it's the weapon of choice. It's also the weapon he says was used to shoot and injure one of his deputies just three months ago.

"I want to make sure every deputy is well armed to meet any threat today or in the future."

A group of private citizens are hoping to raise 150-thousand dollars to buy high powered weapons for deputies like Donna Reyes."The people we come against, they have them and they're equipped with ar-15, semi automatic, if we don't buy our own we don't have it."

Officer Scott Abernathy patrols areas that are extremely dangerous. He bought his own M-16.

Sheriff Babeu says "Our own deputies shouldn't have to buy their own weapons to protect themselves and the public."

Members of the public we spoke with agree.

Tom Bromell says,"I think they should have what they need to protect themselves and serve the people."

J.J. Jones "As an ex law enforcement myself from Kansas City area, if I had the money I'd give it to him."

The sheriff says there's a company in Phoenix they're working with that is giving them a good price for a good cause.

We checked with other border counties and learned they all equip their deputies with high powered weapons.

In Pima County, officials say they purchased their weapons from seized money and property.

In Santa Cruz County deputies have used high powered weapons for the last five years.

But in Cochise County they only have enough AR-15's for 76 of their 86 deputies.
    KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona So. Arizona sheriff wants high-powered weapons

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    From what I am hearing the depts on the border are scrutinized to death by the feds who are using the "old stall routine" on many border towns and counties. It serves the polititians better to have the sheriff do it THEIR WAY OR NO WAY at this time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Our feds don't want this good sheriff to be armed properly. It also makes me sick that it is so hard in this country to get that which "shall not be infringed" when these killers from across the boarder can get anything they want, including that fabled "AK-47".

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't understand why they don't just use the AK47s they can get from dead/captured criminals. There's plenty of ammo; they're easy to use, and they wouldn't have to ask the Feds for them. Cheaper than ARs as well.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I don't understand why they don't just use the AK47s they can get from dead/captured criminals. There's plenty of ammo; they're easy to use, and they wouldn't have to ask the Feds for them. Cheaper than ARs as well.

Part is common training and qualification on the weapons. There also would be legal issues with putting that evidence into actual use.

Top Bottom